It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Cities' Plummeting Crime Rates Mystifying

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I'm actually a Republican but we don't get anywhere in life if we don't seek out the real answers.

And lol... a rampage on thought... this I have come to expect

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Very original theory

Hope you're correct. You just added another positive note to my day. Thank you

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
A sign of the economic times..

Crime rates are down because...

Criminals cannot pay gas for their cars to drive to your home and rob you

Criminals can no longer afford bus pass

The economic hard times have criminals in a depressed move.. and they just don't have the will to break a law at the moment..

The arsonist was going to burn your house down but.. he lost his lighter and couldn't afford a new one..

The criminal wanted to steal your car, but again, he couldn't afford the gas to begin with..

Ok, seriously, I am kinda surprised crime has dropped.. with all these unemployed people with to much time on their hands they would be causing problems.. perhaps to depressed to do anything at all.. I have seen reports of crime on the news increase where I live.. though it could just be that there is nothing of importance to report on besides crime.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
You want to see why? Here is the answer with instructions.

#1 - While reading this, bring up a 2nd browser window.

#2 - Now type: 2009 burglar shot into your search an hit return / enter.

#3 - Read (This is the most important part) - scroll results - page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4, (Using google, keep going to page 27, 30, keep going.

#4 - Start a new search and type in: 2009 "home invader" shot
(have to use the "" on this one or you get misc invader terms.

#5 - I know it is already hard for some of you to believe already but keep up the exercise here... now read and scroll through each results page... read the highlights...

#6 - Read:" Scroll through the results page by page.. keep going, page 10, page 15, page 20.... you get the idea.

#7 - Ok, almost done... new search: 2009 "armed robber" shot

#8 - Read:" Scroll through the results page by page.. keep going, page 1, page 2, etc. (Even some Aussies got some here but they had to grapple with the armed robber to take his weapon. LOL)

#9 New search (last one I promise): 2009 suspect shot

#10 I know it is really really hard for some of you to believe what you are seeing but keep up the exercise here were in the home stretch... now read and scroll through each results page... read the highlights...

#11 ACCEPT the truth you just saw (if you did not do the exercise in full, don't reply to this post.) Criminals are getting dropped daily! Deterrent is the answer! Crime don't pay if your dead.

Another Note: Additional Information

"Secrets of a Professional Burglar"
(Article reprint from an ex-professional burglar)

From my own experience as a successful burglar and also from talking with hundreds of fellow inmates in prison for burglary, I’ve concluded that burglary is a psychological game. The only real deterrent is the realization that there is immediate danger to him, the burglar. Locks don’t do this. Alarms don’t do it. Only mind games really work. I’m not against good locks, sturdy doors and alarm systems. But if you rely 70% on mind games and 30% on hardware, you’ll do much better in the end.

If a burglar sees warning signs no matter how outlandish, on your house, he will think twice before breaking in. These signs should be handwritten, in large clear print, on six-inch by eight-inch cards posted above each door knob. Don’t put them on the street or in your yard where passersby can see them. You don’t want to give a burglar a reason to case your place and find out that they are not true. You can make up your own wording. Just be sure the signs look fresh and new. Some suggestions…

* “Danger extremely vicious, barkless German Doberman.” In his nervous frame of mind, a burglar probably isn’t going to wonder if there is such a thing. He won’t want to take the chance.
* “Knock all you want. We don’t answer the door.” Most burglars check to see if anyone is home before breaking in. About 95% of those questioned said they’d pass up a house with that sign.
* “Carpenter: Please do not enter through this door." My son’s three rattlesnakes have gotten out of the cage and we’ve closed them off in this room until he returns, hopefully in a few days. We’re sorry for this inconvenience but we don’t want anyone else to get bitten. The first is still in the hospital.
* “Please stop! We’ve already been forced to kill one burglar who was trying to get in while we weren’t home. Please don’t become the second.” Like the barkless dog sign, this one seems outlandish. But a jittery burglar isn’t going to stick around thinking up ways you could kill him while you’re not home. * “Attack dogs trained and sold here.” Again, 95% said they’d be gone like a shot if they saw this sign. Suggestion: have one engraved and post it on your front door (so it can’t be seen from the street.

Leave extremely large bones and two-foot-wide dog dishes near all entrances. Someone who’s up to no good will think a very large dog lives there.

Paste stickers on the windows indicating that you have an alarm system. Try motion-detector alarms: “This building is equipped with laser-type motion-detector devices. Bodily movements inside will set off audible or silent alarm.” Some 85% of inmates said they’d pass up a house with this notice. Also: Paste alarm foil along windows. Put suction cups on the inside of windows and alarm type bells on the outside walls.

Put fine gravel in your driveway or in your gardens surrounding the house. This makes a lot of noise that burglars won’t want to chance.

When you go away on vacation, don’t tell anyone except the local police. Ask a neighbor to pick up your mail and newspapers and occasionally empty a small can of junk into your trash can. Close all shades, blinds or curtains. Leave one or two radios on. Have your outside lights on a light sensitive switch and inside ones on an alternating timer. Take your phone off the hook. Put up your deterrent signs.

Buy an air horn (the kind small boat owners use). If someone breaks in while you’re at home go to the opposite window and squeeze the horn. These horns can be heard for a mile over water. Everyone said this tactic would scare them off.

Common Lock and Alarm Mistakes

* Putting a deadbolt or other expensive lock on a flimsy door that can be kicked in. Also: Thinking that this lock will do the trick. The burglar simply uses a bigger crowbar.
* Not locking a door when you’re home.
* Positioning a lock on a door with a glass window in such a way that if the window is broken, the burglar can reach in and unlock the door.
* Installing the burglar alarm on/off switch outside the house, not inside it.
* Forgetting to turn on your alarm.

Some Burglar Survey Results

* 85% were deterred by hearing a TV or radio in the house.
* 75% were more likely to go through windows than doors.
* 85% cased out a house before hitting it.
* Only 20% picked locks or tried to pick them. Why: it takes too much skill. There are so many faster ways into a house.
* 63% cut the phone lines before entering.
* 65% said that a large unfriendly dog would scare them away. Most frightening: Dobermans.
* 80% looked in garage windows to see if a home owner’s car was there.
* 50% said the neighborhood security guards didn’t deter them.
* 72% made their entrance from the back.
* 56% continued to burglarize if they were already inside when they realized that people were at home but asleep.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

THANK YOU
for the brilliant post and info

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

You know with those gun "Stastics" they report on the media, Ive shot myself with half the guns in my house. Those .45 rounds always seem to bounce right off.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

You know with those gun "Stastics" they report on the media, Ive shot myself with half the guns in my house. Those .45 rounds always seem to bounce right off.

That's something I'd like to see on YouTube. Got a camera?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I saw an article on the BBC website that suggested that crime rates are going down in Britain too, so its unlikely to simply be more guns, IMO.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Very interesting.

I once talked to a reformed burglar, and he said nothing would stop them from B&E except the knowledge that there was a large dog inside.

Alarms, strong locks, even small dogs, window bars.....none of that would stop them. I asked about a small barking dog, he said nah, "we would just break it's neck and throw it in the tub and carry on". Sad but true.

But I imagine a sign that said "Large trained attack dog[DOBERMAN] on duty when resident away, Smith & Wesson on duty when resident present" would send most home invaders on to the next house.

As for why crime rates are down, I think the murder rates would be one you can't really fudge, either they got shot or knifed and died or they didn't.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The decrease in crime might be from deliberate underreporting, or maybe the criminal elements have been recruited into the homeland security. Those people have an attitude. Or maybe the criminals are being recruited for some activities that are in planning and told to lie low. In the movie Waco: the Big Lie, mention was made of a shipload of captured Iraqi guns that were imported for distribution by the ATF to criminal gangs for use because of their untraceablilty in some civil disturbance. In the movie the idea was that hackers in the Waco commune had gotten access to this information and that one motive for the raid was to capture the computer in the room with the window that the three ATF Clinton bodyguards went into when they met their deaths from the fourth ATF behind them. The govt may not be telling us everything they are planning to do, maybe the criminal ellements have been recruited by them and are waiting for the go signal. I do know one thing, that in places where communal warfare is supposed to happen, like India, it always starts with paid thugs.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

I agree with you, but I dont think it has anything to do with gun sales.

The guns that are sold are usually bought by already previous owners of guns. While I have no doubt the total overall percentage of people have gone up that own guns, I doubt it would make any significant difference in the crime rate being it up or down.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I hear what you are saying, but I think it is a knee jerk thought...

What you are saying is that all crime has gone down. that is not the case. they are saying violent crime has gone down.

i dont think anyone is going to take into consideration who the president is when they are planning to kill somebody, beat somebody up or rape somebody for whatever reason. normally these are reactionary crimes done randomly, or have been planned in some way. i cant see any black guy saying, "hey dont think im gunna rape that chick after all, now that Obama is Prez"...no offence, Im just saying.

If you think crime in general has gone down then take a stroll down to any courthouse. See how long it takes you just to get in the doors.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
more like less cops and less people caught in the act

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This morning alone we've had a bank robbed and an employee at a campground knocked out while counting money. I live in a beach town and I never hear of crime like this around here. Just one of those days I guess.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

There was also a drop in the rate of murders and manslaughters in the U.K this year. A drop of 17%, no drop in the water...news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Crime rates dropped? What??

We just got robbed of trillions of dollars$!!

Well...on second thought, I guess there is nothing left to rob!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
All of these statistics can be manipulated into a positive light. The end result creates a false sense of security within the population. "See folks, things are not really so bad" says the mayor to his people. Meanwhile, many cities are facing a serious budget crunch and are being forced to scale back on public services including fire and police protection. My sleepy town uses unarmed reservists whenever possible for routine patrols. That makes me feel better. Not. I live in a border suburb of Cleveland so anything is possible.

Fend for yourselves, protect your families, be alert and know your neighbors and your neighborhood. Those who don't belong in your neighborhood will soon start to stick out like a sore thumb. Keep your police dept's. non emergency phone number handy. An extra set of eyes and ears is always helpful as long as you don't go overboard with the calls of hooligans in your hood.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Gun sales go up and crime goes down.

Only liberals remain confused.

I'm a liberal and I'm not confused. Oh hey, I'm a liberal and I think we should all be able to own guns. "OMG!!! No way, did she just say that?"

I'm also a liberal who doesn't like Obama. Holy cow! I bet I am turning your world upside down right now aren't I?

Waiditgo on being yet another person who promotes divisiveness on ATS.

Back to the topic...

I like how they try to put their usual spin on the article. 'It's the police, "They're so awesome at what they do!" There could be lots of explanations but of course they give all the credit to the authorities and none to average everyday citizens WITH GUNS!

I also noticed how they tried to promote the "military-style blockades" in Washington DC as lowering crime in the area but the BIG BAD Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The population drop in those cities definatly needs to be taken in account.

Around here (nice suburban area I've lived in all my life) crime is insane. The fact that they will not report it or acknowledge it is unbelievable. Our neighbors and I have talked guns quite a bit. We are all armed and ready. If you leave your car unlocked, they will get into it. They check for unlocked doors on houses. One neighbor woke in the middle of the night thinking someone was in his house to find they took the screen door off his house. A couple of nights ago, my husband and I were awakened at 3am by sirens that kept going by in groups. Four or five large groups. They all stopped at the same point, and it was quiet for a bit. We were about to go see what was up when we started hearing gunshots. NOTHING WAS EVER REPORTED!!! Its as if nothing ever happened. Its very frustrating and makes you feel like you are on your own.

So in my world, the numbers are down because:
1. population is down in those areas
2. people are taking matters into their own hands and relying less on cops
last but not least by any means
3. ITS NOT BEING REPORTED!

Just a note on #2, I do remember a few months back the enforcement departments in those particular cities, Detroit for sure, made a statement that they were no longer going to work or accept calls for particular areas of the city. They also told people to start protecting themselves. Not to mention they have had to cut down on employees as well. Less cops, less areas covered, less population, = less crime??? shocking.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
The other thing to consider is drastic and dramatic population decline in major cities.

If a city like Detroit goes from the third largest city with a population of 4.4 Million people to eleventh largest city with a population of 912,000 people, that is a population decrease of 80%.

It wouldn't seem a stretch to expect that Crime would decrease a similar amount over the same time span.

And this is the case in every one of the top Cities in the United States (and always has been). When economic times get hard, people leave the sprawl for the small towns (or at least the suburbs) to look for work and to find a simpler (read "cheaper") life.

So, it wouldn't be any surprise considering the population in all the major cities in the United States are declining that crime in those major cities would be declining.

You are right about that! We have seen a drastic INCREASE in gang related crimes and break ins in the past several month's.(this last month they have been going through my neighborhood and are at this time still trying to break in my home even when we are in it!) They have gotten so BOLD as to attempt to break in WHILE other people are at home too!

Everyone here in our sleepy little town 45 minutes north of San Fransisco is being blown away by the increase in gang member's showing up and the rise in crime. The police station is over loaded with complaint's just from my small family neighborhood. They aren't even sure what to do yet we have NEVER had these problems.
I myself have lived here for 21 years and have never in all that time seen so many gang member's and druggie people. It is getting really scary for a lot of people here many are talking of just picking up and moving as I too am.
The crime has dropped in the cities because they are leaving for easier fish to fry. But they are going to have a rude awakening very soon. People in smaller towns stick together and know who their neighbors are and who lives where. We can spot their thieving butts a mile away!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join