It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Cities' Plummeting Crime Rates Mystifying

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
One thing I have noticed here in Detroit is a considerable drop in all activity whatsoever! We used to have a traffic nightmare that started around 2-3pm every weekday, but now it's non existent? Likewise, Friday and Saturday nights, especially in summertime, filled the streets with car cruisers and clubbers way into the early morning hours! Now midnight on weekends looks like an uninhabited ghost town with hardly a car on the road anywhere?

Maybe it's economics motivating people to live more simply, or perhaps just a shift in trends? Either way, less hustle and bustle equates to less interaction among citizens which logically results in less crime. For example, remove all the obnoxious drunks from the corner bar and you see the number of bar fights decline significantly! Same goes for less traffic, less traffic accidents. I can only speak for the metro Detroit area, but I'm sure it's relevant elsewhere?

We have lost a sizable amount of our small businesses, tens of thousands lost jobs, especially in the auto industry, as well as many home foreclosures. Now statistically, many of those people and families pick up and leave the area completely. Others go into a kind of limbo that puts their life and activities on hold for awhile. I know because I'm one of them!

I lost my business, home, and automobile! Having no car, nor job to drive it to, significantly reduces my odds of involvement in a crime. I can't speed, be involved in an accident, or get car jacked. My shop isn't there to be broken into, or stolen from. My employees can no longer embezzle money, steal supplies, or create any civil liability. My suppliers can't pad my invoices anymore. I now cannot be defrauded any further by the banks I did business with. The city where I had my business can't extort money via licensing, regulation, taxes or utilities from me now. The insurance companies that had to pay my customers claims cannot red line, slander, or collude against me. On and on......

Now all the above statements are only of my life. Other businesses dissolving are cutting down the chances of violating the many UCC laws such as contract fraud and illegal repossessions. Think of all the tax code violations and audits by the IRS that are diminishing? Less prosperity in this country equals much less crime, most prevalent of which are probably theft and murder? Sad but very likely true?

When you stand back and look at all this you can come to only one conclusion, less crime is inevitable! Sure, the first thing that enters your mind is that all these unemployed degenerates are gonna steal everything they can, but are these people really the bad ones? The degenerates are not the unfortunate, hard working people they would have you believe. The proof is right there in the statistics.

The question is not about declining crime statistics. The question is why do they want you to think this is odd? Why would they, with all their resources and information, refuse to acknowledge the obvious? Why would they want you to think this is odd when it really is obvious? Their ignorance is pretentious at best? Stop being fooled by it!

Peace.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
When stats look bad, they just change the accounting rules like they did with unemployment data and inflation.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Wait... Law abiding citizens having GUNS stops violent CRIMES????

That's not possible... GUNS ARE EVIL INCARNATE..... How can they SAVE LIVES?.....

Well, all least the gun grabbers claim so....

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The funny thing being...aren't gun sales up astronomically?

That has probably been brought up...but in the past 6 months gun sales are up huge...and crime is at a very low rate. Well I guess that certainly defies liberal logic...a mystery indeed.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Anyway, apart from my kind of serious joke with a hint of sarcasm in it, it is partially true that you cannot account the low crime rate to just one thing.

However during economic harship crime is supposed to go UP not down, so it might have to do with agencies not reporting many crimes.

Anyhow, BE ARMED, and you have more chances of surviving, and stopping a violent crime against you, and, or your family.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of a sign I saw somewhere.

It was posted in front of a home and said "There is nothing in here worth dying for."

When crime really doesn't pay, some criminals change their behavior.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It's only the calm before the storm.

I note nothing is said about the more than 36 school children murdered in Chicago schools this year. The trend is shocking.

Hang on. These are dark days.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

it is partially true that you cannot account the low crime rate to just one thing.

I agree 100%. I just found it funny that the MSM reports things like this and only mentions the politically correct explanations. Crime seems to be going down (their reporting, not mine) but it has to be because the police are doing such a good job, not because the would-be criminals are deterred by an increasingly armed citizenry.

On the other hand, had a shooting occurred, we'd be hearing cries by these very same people to further restrict the availability of guns.

The point is, the only time guns are discussed by the MSM is when the opportunity to bash the Second Amendment arises, and to the detriment of society as a whole, a lot of people actually trust the MSM. The media are neglecting their responsibility to report what is actually going on, and are instead reporting only what is politically expedient. We all should be calling shenanigans on these people every chance we get: it may be the only way to ever get any sort of reliable information out of them.

TA

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Of course crime rates will plumet. Were in a recession, nearing possible depression. Even thieves know no ones has as much moeny worth steeling n getting cuaght form. Geesh, then FEDboys work hard dont they

If everone was making money, bonuses, falunting it around like idiots..that draws attetnion, and of course, thieves notce things like that,..and opportunitys. Obviously, the opportunitys have dropped. This is a good sign.so far. Yuo dont hear or read abuot theives on a mass scale breaking into homes and ransaking it, during this recessionl. That tells me, at least they got some kinda understanding for others. But, of course, i it gets worse, rgaulr people like yuo and me, could end up being mongst gangs breaking into homes too to survive. Thats the key... most of us arnt at survivng yet, we still make at least some kinda money. But..inflation could set in.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Perhaps it's just moving...I live in a city of 30,000 in the middle of nowhere. We had three drive by shootings last weekend. I think we might have had ONE before...ever. I think people are leaving larger cities and heading to smaller places.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

I agree 100%. I just found it funny that the MSM reports things like this and only mentions the politically correct explanations. Crime seems to be going down (their reporting, not mine) but it has to be because the police are doing such a good job, not because the would-be criminals are deterred by an increasingly armed citizenry.

On the other hand, had a shooting occurred, we'd be hearing cries by these very same people to further restrict the availability of guns.

And you are more than right. The political correct media only reports what, and how news best spouse their bias. For the liberal media it is about banning weapons, and blaming every crime on guns instead of blaming the root of the cause which is CRIMINALS.

Liberals for the most part want to claim that CRIMINALS perform their crimes because "they were beaten by their parents", or "society is to blame", etc, etc.

Many, if not most Liberals cannot comprehend that people are the ones who ultimately make their choice, and this includes CRIMINALS.

For some reason some people, mostly many Liberals, cannot accept that there is such a thing as personal choices, and free will.

If people choose to be CRIMINALS, it is the fault of those CRIMINALS, and not the fault of any tool they use to commit their crimes, and guns are a tool.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
People are retarded to think gun sales are at all responsible for this. I personally think it's a combination of economic downturns, societal improvements, and the world getting smaller. I also think all activity in general is down due to the funk we're in right now.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
All I ever see around here are people getting shot and murdered. Less crime? Not here. Places being robbed, drug raids etc. It's worse than ever.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
I read somewhere about lack of sun spots correlate to people being more creative and lots of sunspots to agressiveness in males. I think we have just had an era of very little sun spots activity. Correct me if i am wrong
kx

No Your wrong ...... Low sun spots breeds apathetic idiots that lack creativity... Higher sun spots equal more violence and greater imagination.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by passenger

You are 100% correct. "Crime" statistics are consistently under reportd. Often when a new regime is elected they change the manner of reporting to enable them to tell the folks that crime is down.

In the 80's. when Dinkins was elected Mayor of NYC, there were these amazing stories about how crime was dropping like a stone. It comes out that Dinkins told the chief of police to just stop arresting folks for a number of serious crimes.

Crime is up. Crime is always up during an economic down turn.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
You want to see why? Here is the answer with instructions.

#1 - While reading this, bring up a 2nd browser window.

#2 - Now type: 2009 burglar shot into your search an hit return / enter.

#3 - Read (This is the most important part) - scroll results - page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4, (Using google, keep going to page 27, 30, keep going.

#4 - Start a new search and type in: 2009 "home invader" shot
(have to use the "" on this one or you get misc invader terms.

#5 - I know it is already hard for some of you to believe already but keep up the exercise here... now read and scroll through each results page... read the highlights...

#6 - Read:" Scroll through the results page by page.. keep going, page 10, page 15, page 20.... you get the idea.

#7 - Ok, almost done... new search: 2009 "armed robber" shot

#8 - Read:" Scroll through the results page by page.. keep going, page 1, page 2, etc. (Even some Aussies got some here but they had to grapple with the armed robber to take his weapon. LOL)

#9 New search (last one I promise): 2009 suspect shot

#10 I know it is really really hard for some of you to believe what you are seeing but keep up the exercise here were in the home stretch... now read and scroll through each results page... read the highlights...

#11 ACCEPT the truth you just saw (if you did not do the exercise in full, don't reply to this post.) Criminals are getting dropped daily! Deterrent is the answer! Crime don't pay if your dead.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I can tell you exactly what the drop in crime can be attributed too and some people wont like it when I say it or take it in the wrong way.

Black crime has seen a dramatic drop with the election of Barack Obama.

It's had a dramatic positive effect on the Black Community, i've noticed it going out at night, young brothers who once were all "shizzle ma dizzle" are now no longer feeling like sell outs if they speak well and communicate with others... that was the first thing I noticed, there is no shame in speaking smart or acting smart in the community anymore.

I am sure crime itself has dropped almost instantly too, a feeling of empowerment and acceptance has set in...

And I think there is a two way street here too, I think more white people are being friendlier, not just as mandated in schools and work places, but I have noticed that...(not from the extreme corners of life) but in daily life... there has been a marked difference in how people treat Black people in general as well...

When the election was going on... My stance was that he only actual result or change that would come was that either women would get a boost via Palin or Black Males would via Obama...

Now numerically I figured that women would be the more important...

But I can see with these stats that... I was wrong, this is the Big Change... and seriously, things are better...

I half expect that Obama won't be of any use other than this (just like anyone else we had available)

But i'd say if this is the result of 4 years of any do not much President, then the guy was the right choice... Pride in ones self can solve more problems in America than anything else, any leader certainly ever can...

But this is surely the real reason for the drop in crime...

Hope in the Black Community

[edit on 20-7-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
I can tell you exactly what the drop in crime can be attributed too and some people wont like it when I say it or take it in the wrong way.

Black crime has seen a dramatic drop with the election of Barack Obama.

It's had a dramatic positive effect on the Black Community, i've noticed it going out at night, young brothers who once were all "shizzle ma dizzle" are now no longer feeling like sell outs if they speak well and communicate with others... that was the first thing I noticed, there is no shame in speaking smart or acting smart in the community anymore.

I am sure crime itself has dropped almost instantly too, a feeling of empowerment and acceptance has set in...

And I think there is a two way street here too, I think more white people are being friendlier, not just as mandated in schools and work places, but I have noticed that...(not from the extreme corners of life) but in daily life... there has been a marked difference in how people treat Black people in general as well...

When the election was going on... My stance was that he only actual result or change that would come was that either women would get a boost via Palin or Black Males would via Obama...

Now numerically I figured that women would be the more important...

But I can see with these stats that... I was wrong, this is the Big Change... and seriously, things are better...

I have expect that Obama won't be of any use other than this (just like anyone else we had available)

But i'd say if this is the result of 4 years of any do not much President, then the guy was the right choice... Pride in ones self can solve more problems in America than anything else, any leader certainly ever can...

But this is surely the real reason for the drop in crime...

Hope in the Black Community

What? You honestly don't think the drop in crime is because people with fear and delusion issues are now packing heat?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

NO lol, Americans have always had guns, half the people buying guns are gun # 8 anyway... It's ludicrous.

I have my own issues with Obama's policies but, his presence has evoked change in a large section of America... like I said hope.

He completely didn't just Break he SHATTERED an American stereo type.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

NO lol, Americans have always had guns, half the people buying guns are gun # 8 anyway... It's ludicrous.

I have my own issues with Obama's policies but, his presence has evoked change in a large section of America... like I said hope.

He completely didn't just Break he SHATTERED an American stereo type.

Oh my friend, I agree with you completely. However, get ready for a wall of incoherent Obama hate and insane preaching of conservative values that's sure to come from you intelligently speaking an opinion that conflicts with their believes.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join