It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi High School Finally Integrates Prom, public accountability?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Most of you folks may have heard about the news that Mississippi High School in Charleston finally de-segregated its prom. Prior to that two seperate proms were held between whites and blacks, and this has been going over 40 years following the intergration of american society by law.

With all the talk regarding "the race card" among ATSers, it is apparent that the wounds still cut some of us. Understandably blacks feel they have been cheated, and understandably some whites feel that these PC laws have discrimminated their constitutional rights.... however I am sure all of us, as constitutionalists, as conservatives, and liberals can see this as good news.... that under the constitution those freedoms of man should not under any circumstances be bounded by color... that the founding fathers established a nation of opportunity for all americans. The integration of prom night at the high school didnt end these bitter and stubborn wounds over night... there was a private prom held by some of the white parents of the students at the high school in protest somewhat. Also among some of the students the integration didnt take too well... but its a start never the less.. a late start might I add.

There is ofcourse the question of public schools and their responsibility. I dont have issue with private citizens holding private events for a certain group whether its racist or religious. As much as I disagree personally.... under the constitution and vai the freedoms set forth by the founding fathers personal opinion and freedoms should still be allowed to reign even when they discrimminate. However, a public school, one that is funded in part by the tax payers of these United states, should then be held accountable by the constitution and laws. The segregated proms were in my opinion were unconstitutional, and even though some students agreed with the idea (if none of them agreed there wouldnt be segregated proms in the first place) it still restricted the freedom of citizens by color under law. This was a public school, funded by tax payer money, so then wasnt this opposing the constitutional laws of freedom across race and cultural divides?

I'd be curious to get the opinion of fellow ATSers. Likewise Iv outlined my feelings of the matter.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I feel this is ridiculous in our day and time that these types of separations still continue to occur! To me this is still not a race card issue because I recall not to long ago a report on CNNN that High Society African American Families make it a point to keep their children from attending events "i.e. Proms" with white people. They have Social Clubs soley for then and in my opinion the peice "Story" came across as reverse racism. I'm very happy to hear that this is out in the open, it sucks that people today still see color instead of individuals but I don't believe this is solely the doing of White America Today! It is done by the African American Community as well. Separation is wrong in any form! Great thread.

new topics

join