It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil Armstrong, not MY hero.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Why are these guys heroes? Ultimately they are part of a massive coverup. The discovered things up there that would change our lives forever yet they will keep quiet, take it to their grave that there were craft shadowing them, that there were 2mile high structures on the surface of the darkside, that there were giant ships spotted on parts of the surface. It's heroic to hide the most important discovery of our time? bah.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
he is a trator to the alien cause ... how the heck he knows that there are aliens out there if he never saw one ?

well, I think he knows some crazy things but he wont talk because he dont want to hurt the government

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Maybe he just got tired of people coming up to him when hes trying to eat dinner, or go to the bathroom, or buy groceries ask for autographs or ask him why he lied about walking on the moon or how he really saw alien spaceships there? Even the adoring public part can get old after a while. Hell Buzz had to literally knock a moon hoaxer out when ambushed and called a "liar and thief"...i'm sure Neil Armstrong has had more than a few similar (if not so violent) things happen over the years.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned Armstrong can do whatever he wants. He has earned the right by being one of the major contributors of humankinds greatest achievement.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Why should he? So some ignorant so and so can harass him in public? He's earned his privacy.

He was, and still is, one of the heros from my childhood that has remained on that pedestal. He is, by all accounts, an intensely private man, who genuinely hates the limelight. I don't need him out there, I remember what he did, along with all the other moonwalkers...

It was an amazing time, and while we've seemingly taken a step back, we'll be there again someday, and this time the rest of the world can come, too.

Magnanimous of me, huh?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
In the articles I've read about Armstrong they have presented a picture of a humble man who doesn't want to be a celebrity. He left NASA two years after walking on the moon and pursued a simple teaching career. His viewpoint has been understood as a realization that there were thousands of people involved in making the mission successful and was simply one piece of the success. He doesn't want to bask in the glory that so many engineers, scientists, administrators, and others worked just as hard to achieve.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Oh for god sake, leave the man alone. Hasn't he done enough to warrant being called a hero? And just because he doesn't want to make an appearance or two, do we take away all his achievements ????

Do you honestly blame him for being annoyed with all the mindless, @ssclowns who harassed him over the years, called him a liar and a fraud???

I don't blame him for keeping to the shadows a bit. Maybe if we showed a national hero, a legend, a bit of respect, he would feel better about talking with us.

You want to blame someone, blame the idiots who just refuse to let their fake moon landing religion die !

He's still my hero

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Yes, but isn't there some sort of obligation to "mankind" for him to continue his legacy while he's still alive?

Just curious but when is enough, enough? When does he get to rest and relax? He went to the freaken moon ! He risked his life to help us expand our understanding of the universe for god sake ! Why not get off the guys back !

It's a complete joke. Hell, Buzz has endured more than Neil has in regards to the conspiracy theorists and he musters up the guts to continue the legacy of Apollo 11.

Maybe he's just tired of dealing with people who criticize him no matter what he does....you know, people like YOU !
Or maybe, just maybe, he does have some health problems or someone in his family might be going through a tough time and he just wants privacy. Could that be a possibility??? I'll tell you what, I'll give your opinion a little more weight once you've landed your @ss on the moon. Fair enough?

How can anyone help but theorize that the landing was a joke (im not one of them by the way, it happened) by Neil's lack of championing NASA's efforts?

Only idiots would hypothesize that the landing was a "joke" aka "fake". There is ZERO evidence to support that IDIOTIC claim yet people keep bringing it up and verbally assaulting him about it.

Why would you be so hard on a national, legendary hero?
Would you also pick on a soldier that saved his entire platoon from certain death, if he/she didn't want to do an interview? Give the poor guy a break...I KNOW HE'S EARNED IT !

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by contemplator
Why are these guys heroes?

Because they risked their lives to help better our country and expand knowledge of the universe BY LANDING ON THE MOON, setting up equipment so we could retrieve valuable data and bring back very valuable moon rock samples.
They were/are the epitome of the ultimate explorer which is what we are....what all mankind is..
Is that a good enough answer for you?

Ultimately they are part of a massive coverup.

Prove it !

The discovered things up there that would change our lives forever yet they will keep quiet,

Prove it !

take it to their grave that there were craft shadowing them, that there were 2mile high structures on the surface of the darkside, that there were giant ships spotted on parts of the surface.

Prove it !

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I think it's a damned awful idea to start a thread attacking Neil Armstrong.

This thread serves no purpose other than to cater for the op's attention seeking behaviour.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

None of those reasons make any sense. If a person was shy and didn't like the attention, being the first person on the moon is not the job you would pick.

He's always been weird about it. Perhaps he just doesn't want to be the face of a lie, if indeed they never went. If it is false, I'm sure death would be waiting if he told anyone, so maybe taking the 5th is his right to exercise and his preference in this case.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
reply to post by amongus

None of those reasons make any sense. If a person was shy and didn't like the attention, being the first person on the moon is not the job you would pick.

Sorry but this comment doesn't make any sense. His job was to go to the moon not be outgoing.

He's always been weird about it.

So what?

Perhaps he just doesn't want to be the face of a lie, if indeed they never went.

I'm so tired of people propagating this crap. YES, we went to the moon....several times as a matter of fact. If you'll notice, the naysayers cannot produce one shred of evidence that we haven't gone to the moon. The only "evidence" they use is the fact that the evidence we use to prove we went to the moon, isn't good enough in their eyes.

Deny Ignorance....we went to the moon...let's all embrace the reality people.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

reply to post by amongus

Sorry but this comment doesn't make any sense. His job was to go to the moon not be outgoing.

He's always been weird about it.

So what?

Perhaps he just doesn't want to be the face of a lie, if indeed they never went.

I'm so tired of people propagating this crap. YES, we went to the moon....several times as a matter of fact. If you'll notice, the naysayers cannot produce one shred of evidence that we haven't gone to the moon. The only "evidence" they use is the fact that the evidence we use to prove we went to the moon, isn't good enough in their eyes.

Deny Ignorance....we went to the moon...let's all embrace the reality people.

Chill out. I didn't go to the moon and neither did you, nor the other 3 billion people of earth at the time so let's end the "we" talk. We didn't do anything but pay for it.

Since it is the peoples tax dollars that paid for the trip, every American has a right to be concerned with if it was a hoax or not and Neil Armstrong has a duty to perform being our representative. I can see you being upset at disruptive people, but calling anyone an idiot because they don't believe what you believe just makes you a bigot and proves nothing to anyone except that you are intolerant of others. Be intelligent not insulting.

I can respect the fact that he is humble. It is a good quality to portray in light of such an achievement especially to portray to those who have not gone. To be humble is one thing, to bow out completely is another.

To the generation that saw the landings, Neil represents not only the dreams and hopes of that generation, but has a duty to shine in that as long as he is alive. I understand he is tired of hecklers and debunkers but he needs to get over himself. If he didn't want the attention, maybe he should of been the first person to stay on the moon. He could of got what he wanted and nobody would question it again.

Peace

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Chill out.

No I don't really feel like chilling out. You see I'm tired of people maligning the hero's in the space program by calling them conspirators, liars, murderers, etc.. when they risked their lives to advance our country and our understanding of the universe.

I didn't go to the moon and neither did you, nor the other 3 billion people of earth at the time so let's end the "we" talk. We didn't do anything but pay for it.

As an example, when the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup, everyone says, that "we won, we won". Sure they played the game but they couldn't have played the game at all without the support of the fans. No money, no team. That is what is meant by that statement.

Since it is the peoples tax dollars that paid for the trip, every American has a right to be concerned with if it was a hoax or not

But there is ZERO, I repeat ZERO evidence to suggest that there was a hoax.

and Neil Armstrong has a duty to perform being our representative.

No he doesn't. He did his duty by strapping a rocket to his ass and firing himself into space. Why isn't that enough for you?

I can see you being upset at disruptive people, but calling anyone an idiot because they don't believe what you believe just makes you a bigot and proves nothing to anyone except that you are intolerant of others. Be intelligent not insulting.

I'm sorry but if you're willing to believe the moon hoax crap with ZERO evidence to support it, you are an idiot. I'm not referring to you specifically, it's a general statement.

I can respect the fact that he is humble. It is a good quality to portray in light of such an achievement especially to portray to those who have not gone. To be humble is one thing, to bow out completely is another.

Ever talk to a soldier who's been in combat? Does he/she easily bring up the conversation? NO. When you experience something that instrumentally changes your life, many people simply don't talk about it.

To the generation that saw the landings, Neil represents not only the dreams and hopes of that generation, but has a duty to shine in that as long as he is alive.

I agree that it would be nice to hear from him more but he has no duty. Again, he did his duty. In my opinion, you can criticize him once you've done what he's done.

I understand he is tired of hecklers and debunkers but he needs to get over himself.

Maybe he's just tired and after giving so much, just wants to rest and wants his privacy. WE OWE HIM THAT and much more.

If he didn't want the attention, maybe he should of been the first person to stay on the moon. He could of got what he wanted and nobody would question it again.

Peace

One of the most absurd statements I've read on ATS since I signed up.
What gives you the right to ride this guy? When is enough, enough with you?
Why does he have to be subjected to hostile nutcases who claim he's a liar and a traitor, yelling at him, calling him a coward. Frankly it makes me sick!

[edit on 26-7-2009 by jfj123]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

Chill out.

No I don't really feel like chilling out. You see I'm tired of people maligning the hero's in the space program by calling them conspirators, liars, murderers, etc.. when they risked their lives to advance our country and our understanding of the universe.

Ok. Try warming up then. I'm really tired of you maligning anyone who doesn't agree with you...it goes both ways.

As an example, when the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup, everyone says, that "we won, we won". Sure they played the game but they couldn't have played the game at all without the support of the fans. No money, no team. That is what is meant by that statement.

Right, it's like a wife that is happy her husband got a bonus...."well we're moving on up...finally got a piece of the pie"

If you hadn't seen it on television, would you still believe it? Many don't believe the footage is real, which could be true. The fact is the public has ZERO evidence that we went, unless we are to believe everything we see on television. I find it amazing that we could fight the Vietnam War, through which contractors, like Northrup Grumman, Boeing, & Bell Helicopter...just to name a few, made Trillions of dollars which they could of easily washed in the space program which ran the exact same times as the Vietnam war. Amazing after just doing WW1, WW2, and Korea that we could take on the biggest venture in human history, oh yeah and a little fuel crisis towards the end their. "IF it sounds to good to be true...." "Here's your sign"

No he doesn't. He did his duty by strapping a rocket to his ass and firing himself into space. Why isn't that enough for you?

No, I want his children....Are you kidding? That was 40 years ago, again if he didn't want the fame he should of stayed on the moon.

I'm sorry but if you're willing to believe the moon hoax crap with ZERO evidence to support it, you are an idiot. I'm not referring to you specifically, it's a general statement.

Actually, Idiot would be what Neil Armstrong is. It means "Private Person".

Ever talk to a soldier who's been in combat? Does he/she easily bring up the conversation? NO. When you experience something that instrumentally changes your life, many people simply don't talk about it.

Sorry, can't feel you there. I've stood in a rice patty in Vietnam, while my dad described the firefight that changed his life. He has been back four times with me first in 97, my sister in 98, another vet in 99, and finally my mother last year. He is more then willing to talk about it, it's therapy for him. I know his stories like I was in them myself.

I agree that it would be nice to hear from him more but he has no duty. Again, he did his duty. In my opinion, you can criticize him once you've done what he's done.

I believe that he is a role model to a whole generation and it disappoints me to see him cower, but none the less it doesn't take away his achievement. I just believe that if he was proud to have done that job he would show it. There must be more hecklers then believers if he won't go in public and that alone says volumes.

Maybe he's just tired and after giving so much, just wants to rest and wants his privacy. WE OWE HIM THAT and much more.

Isn't that what death is for?

Why does he have to be subjected to hostile nutcases who claim he's a liar and a traitor, yelling at him, calling him a coward. Frankly it makes me sick!

I see myself and others leaving their opinion on the matter. Like Jerry here's My final thought.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" except that is a lie.

It was "One small step for A man, The rest of you all are suckers....kiss my privacy".

May you rest in peace Neil...

Peace

[edit on 26-7-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Wow so because a man who likes his privacy is not entering the media circus surrounding this event,has already done his part for humanity as a whole.Yet you still have the gaul to judge and belittle him because you didn't see him on tv at the 40th anniversary?
This is one of the most egotistical,self centered threads i have seen in a while.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Ok. Try warming up then. I'm really tired of you maligning anyone who doesn't agree with you...it goes both ways.

I'm tired you you maligning a national hero. I guess we're even.

If you hadn't seen it on television, would you still believe it?

There is a lot more evidence then just a few tv clips and pictures.
Do you know what the retro reflectors are? Where they are? What they're used for?

Many don't believe the footage is real, which could be true. The fact is the public has ZERO evidence that we went,

Actually there is plenty of evidence such as the retro reflectors.

No, I want his children....Are you kidding? That was 40 years ago, again if he didn't want the fame he should of stayed on the moon.

Really why are you not getting this? He didn't become an astronaut to become famous. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Actually, Idiot would be what Neil Armstrong is. It means "Private Person".

Not even worth responding to this childish comment other then this

He is more then willing to talk about it, it's therapy for him. I know his stories like I was in them myself.

Most aren't. As one of many examples I could post, one of my friends just found out that his grandfather was a pilot part of D-Day. His grandfather raised him and is is only close family member. He asked his grandfather why he didn't tell him about it. The grandfather simply said it isn't something you talk about. We just did our jobs.
I've found this to be a very common response when speaking with soldiers about their combat experience. Obviously this doesn't hold true 100% of the time but holds true quite a bit. Consider yourself lucky that your dad wants to/has the ability to share his experiences with you.

I just believe that if he was proud to have done that job he would show it.

How well do you know him? Maybe he's just a private person.

There must be more hecklers then believers if he won't go in public and that alone says volumes.

I wouldn't blame him for not going if there was one heckler.
I think that's as bad as people who call our soldiers traitors, killers, etc..

Isn't that what death is for?

Index finger and thumb on the bridge of my nose, eyes closed, head shaking left to right repeatedly....

I see myself and others leaving their opinion on the matter. Like Jerry here's My final thought.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" except that is a lie.

Why don't you put your money where your gaping maw is and prove it's a lie. Show some evidence that will actually back up your silly claim.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

The reflector.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9900083d3940.jpg[/atsimg]

Satellite laser ranging is routinely performed at the Goddard Geophysical and Astronomical Observatory. This facility, along with other satellite laser ranging telescopes around the world, could be used to precision range to a laser transponder placed on the lunar surface. Currently, only the largest of telescopes can be used to laser range to the lunar retroreflectors.

Let's see, Goddard would be a conflict in interest to an independent researcher trying to verify claims outside of a Nasa run agency...guess people are out of luck as the only ranging lasers are operated by conflicting interests.

Besides, let's use the wonderful brains we've been given. What does the moon do with light? Since the dawn of time it has reflected light upon the earth. Is a 2 x 3 ft reflector that can't even be seen by the hubble telescope really necessary to bounce light off of the moon and back to earth when the moon is mostly Grey and white and itself reflects 1/6th the light of the sun when full?

Next time you get a ticket, tell the cop he is wrong because there is no reflector on your car to give him an accurate reading....I mean, just try it and see what happens. Tell him about Nasa...I'm sure he'll let you go.

Sorry, the reflector doesn't prove anything when it is sitting on a Giant reflector itself.

I love this picture, they must of just watered down the field...."Play Ball"

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Besides, let's use the wonderful brains we've been given. What does the moon do with light? Since the dawn of time it has reflected light upon the earth. Is a 2 x 3 ft reflector that can't even be seen by the hubble telescope really necessary to bounce light off of the moon and back to earth when the moon is mostly Grey and white and itself reflects 1/6th the light of the sun when full?

The moon will not reflect laser beams so as to return them to earth in any coherent fashion. That's why the astronauts put the reflectors on the moon.

Next time you get a ticket, tell the cop he is wrong because there is no reflector on your car to give him an accurate reading....I mean, just try it and see what happens. Tell him about Nasa...I'm sure he'll let you go.

You're comparing apples and emu's.

Sorry, the reflector doesn't prove anything when it is sitting on a Giant reflector itself.

Actually the reflector that is sitting on the moon was placed there by someone....DUH....

Besides, you can't bounce a laser off the moon and get it to return to earth at it's point of origin. Try it and tell me how it goes. Don't believe me, here's a little test: get a laser and fire it into the dirt and see if it bounces back.

People like you are the only reason that the hoaxers are still around. You speak on subjects as if you know what you're talking about but you don't. Not trying to be rude but it's true.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Just how do you think a laser tracking a moving vehicle works? A vehicle with lines, cuts, & angles, yet the laser pulls the info back in, but Goddard space center can't throw a laser to the surface of the moon without a reflector? Do you hear what you are saying? You don't even address that there is no independent way to verify Nasa claims outside of Nasa/ESA and you are arguing shooting a laser into the dirt?

Does the sun reflect coherently off of the moon? Kids can ping pilots in the eyes with keychain lasers, but Goddard can't get any "coherent reading" with out a reflector that the hubble can't even see? For real? You are a riot....LOL

I'm still laughing.....I can't stop.

Tears...streaming....gut hurting.....wow....thanks, I forget people are so easy to fool....Nobody relies on themselves to see the world and I forget that....you humble me.

Like I said, hehehehe

Rest in Peace Neil

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join