It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil Armstrong, not MY hero.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
With the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, I cant help but notice Neil Armstrong's absence (with exception of a meet and greet with Obama. While I understand his rumored reasoning behind being bitter with fans and the media over whether the landing was faked, and some faked autographs "back in the day", for the life of me I can't tell you how disappointed I am to not see him do an interview. . with anyone. .at least in the MSM. He even ditched the 40th anniversary press conference at NASA.

I love Buzz Aldrin, and appreciate what he has done for the country however the face of man's first landing of the moon is Neil Armstrong. For him to carry over his bitterness into this week's events leading up to the 40th anniversary of his stepping on the moon should be an embarrassment to NASA, and a slap in the face of the American people who funded the mission.

Today was a perfect opportunity for him to come out, swallow his pride, and encourage a whole new generation to take another giant leap for mankind. Instead we get nothing but a bitter old man that pisses on the opportunity.

He ain't my hero.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Me? Unless I've walked a few miles in his shoes, nautical or otherwise, I can't bring myself to criticize or condemn his actions or decisions regarding such.

Hell. He probably looks back and sees those leaps and bounds across the lunar landscape as but a mere cakewalk compared to what he's had to endure since returning to this 3rd rock from the sun.

No disrespect to the OP and certainly none to Mr. Aldrin.

Happy 40th, I say!

[edit: speeling
]

[edit on 20-7-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I'm feeling ya! The dood is on or about my last nerve. He seems very hostile and closed... adding nothing to the science world. Bah humbug!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Guys i dont think he's hostile. I dont want to point it out, but this guy is the emblem of human race's evolutionary stage, to some extent....
Cant be that easy..... And even mor ethan that, he was a reclusive "play it down" kinda guy even before going.... Fanous for his colbloodedness...
He is "the right stuff's" living impersonification...
Lets respect him for that, he's a man after all...

Long Live!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm glad to see that they're all alive and well. None of them in nursing homes with dementia etc. These guys went to the moon and apparently haven't suffered any life threatening illnesses over it. I think that says alot for what we accomplished back then, as if pure luck was on our side.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Me? Unless I've walked a few miles in his shoes, nautical or otherwise, I can't bring myself to criticize or condemn his actions or decisions regarding such.

Hell. He probably looks back and sees those leaps and bounds across the lunar landscape as but a mere cakewalk compared to what he's had to endure since returning to this 3rd rock from the sun.

No disrespect to the OP and certainly none to Mr. Aldrin.

Happy 40th, I say!

[edit: speeling
]

[edit on 20-7-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

Yes, but isn't there some sort of obligation to "mankind" for him to continue his legacy while he's still alive?

It's a complete joke. Hell, Buzz has endured more than Neil has in regards to the conspiracy theorists and he musters up the guts to continue the legacy of Apollo 11.

How can anyone help but theorize that the landing was a joke (im not one of them by the way, it happened) by Neil's lack of championing NASA's efforts?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well he's sure one of my heroes. He's content to let the events speak for themselves. He's humble enough to realize it wasn't a "Neil Armstrong Event" but he was merely fortunate enough to be the one selected for the honor. It took thousands of people a good many years to build up to the point where Neil could take that most famous of all steps.

He could've spent the last 40 years trading on that moment. But instead of hawking the Neil Armstrong Set of Commemorative Tea Towels on QVC, he's been content to live a life of privacy.

Why is it so many worthy of accolade avoid it and the halfwits who don't deserve it sell their souls for it?

Do whatever you want, Neil. You deserve it.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
He could've spent the last 40 years trading on that moment. But instead of hawking the Neil Armstrong Set of Commemorative Tea Towels on QVC, he's been content to live a life of privacy.

Why is it so many worthy of accolade avoid it and the halfwits who don't deserve it sell their souls for it?

I agree, and I'm glad he never went that route.

However, that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about capitalizing on the 40th anniversary by giving some fresh insight to a new generation who might not know what it was like to step on the moon for the first time.

Selling his likeness isn't what I'm talking about at all. . . Grant an interview, show up to the official event by NASA. Do a radio interview. Buzz is now going through the entire process with Blitzer right now, walking through photographs, RE-LIVING the process. Neil's absence through all these interviews is a shame. . that's all I'm saying. And its embarrassing.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

I apparently misread your OP and confused your frustrations as being directed to Aldrin. My bad, there.

While I can certainly appreciate where you're coming from, especially with regards his seeming lack of interest in "living up to his assumed status", I still can't place myself in the position of judge or jury when it comes to criticizing decisions made since their return to Earth.

Actually, I was reading an article earlier today that discussed the "change of mindsets" experienced by several astronauts who had set foot on the moon during the Apollo missions. I found it quite interesting that a significant percentage expressed how they experienced a "rebirth" of sorts... in their thoughts and considerations of a higher power.

That it was basically the most humbling experience of their lifetimes... with several of them having since gone on to start various ministries and charity-like programs or organizations.

In the end, I just don't feel it my place to criticize or pass judgement on another's actions or decisions until I've been where they've been... experienced what they have... or stood in their shoes. That's all.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Maybe there is more to it than we see. But I don't really think it's bitterness, I think he just prefers to be out of the spotlight. One of the reason's he was chosen over Aldrin to be the first one on the moon was because he was pretty humble, and has always been a keep it to himself person compared to the high ego aldrin had. At least that was one of the stories I had read on why Neil Armstrong was chosen. I don't think he has any obligation to anyone, in fact he did his part, the whole world knows what he did, and that alone is enough to inspire. To lose all respect for him so easily is rushing to judgement, in my opinion. If I were in his position, I would do the same thing. Buzz Aldrin on the other hand, I do like what he is doing to promote the future of space flight. The infamous punch from a few years ago still makes me laugh and every once in a while I like to look it up.

I know this is off topic, and I'm sure everyone here has seen but heres the Buzz Aldrin response to the moon landing being a hoax!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Why dont any reporters ask them about things like this:

According to a former NASA employee Otto Binder, unnamed radio
hams with their own VHF receiving facilities that bypassed NASA's
broadcasting outlets picked up the following exchange:

NASA: What's there?
Mission Control calling Apollo 11...

Apollo11: These "Babies" are huge, Sir! Enormous!
OH MY GOD! You wouldn't believe it!
I'm telling you there are other spacecraft out there,
Lined up on the far side of the crater edge!
They're on the Moon watching us!

In 1979 Maurice Chatelain, former chief of NASA Communications
Systems confirmed that Armstrong had indeed reported seeing two
UFOs on the rim of a crater. "The encounter was common knowledge
in NASA," he revealed, "but nobody has talked about it until
now."

What better opertunity can one get on getting disclosure . ??
We'd see at once if there was any reactions from the astronaughts..

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
With the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, I cant help but

Today was a perfect opportunity for him to come out, swallow his pride, and encourage a whole new generation to take another giant leap for mankind. Instead we get nothing but a bitter old man that pisses on the opportunity.

He ain't my hero.

Did you ever stop to think that everyone happens to be different, and some people relish themselves in the spotlight more so than others? Neil Armstrong is simply what we in the community call a "Quiet Professional", and he is every bit a Hero, but he is an individual first and foremost. Buzz Aldrin has always been known for having a more flamboyant and publicly outgoing nature, and it was apparent from his first days in the Astronaut corps. Aldrin and Armstrong are equals in every sense of the imagination, but you really should not judge a man simply based upon their publicity, look where such a mentality has gotten us in the past. This is not about popularity, but rather of one of the greatest achievements mankind has ever known, courtesy of the brave men of NASA, and the United States.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Good idea. Maybe he should be asked about it.

Right after you provide some evidence (even a little bit) that Otto Binder was ever a NASA employee. Right after you provide some evidence that Maurice Chatelain was ever a NASA employee, much less "chief of communications".

[edit on 7/20/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

The only person who can confirm that message is Neil Armstrong himself, so it remains speculative.
As regards Neil Armstrong having nothing to say, I saw him on the podium today on BBC news24, so he is not shy of the limelight, and presumably doing his bit for the furtherance of space travel whether by enthusiasm or criticism.
He seems to do plenty of work at the podium, is there that much difference between the podium and a camera interview? anyway here is a interview,
www.youtube.com...

thought I should add this amazing, just for fun, ( new to me at least) link to a 1962 quiz show.

www.youtube.com...
listen to the quizmasters final words.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by smurfy]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
thought I should add this amazing, just for fun, ( new to me at least) link to a 1962 quiz show.

www.youtube.com...
listen to the quizmasters final words.

Interesting smurfy...

How his parents just so happened to "premier" on an (at that time popular) game show leading up to his "prominence" as the first to set foot on lunar soil.

My how the cheerleadiing proved the event successful.

no matter if we did or didn't... the propaganda machine was in full-tilt action ... all-the-while.

40 yrs later... (?)

hmmmm...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Why do those who can't succeed expect people who did to give up their lives to entertain them? Neil Armstrong is a great man with remarkable achievements, despite your lack of gratitude for him not entertaining you. Neil is and always will be one of America's bravest and most respected people.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Neil did his job just like the rest of the astronauts.
If he favors not the Illuminati ceremony that might be his choice to
show there are deadly secrets involved. Three men died in a dry run
perhaps they were told only orbits would be involved. The Moon show
died out many years after JFK went along with another Illuminati scam.
That makes four men dying on the way to the Moon.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Yes, but isn't there some sort of obligation to "mankind" for him to continue his legacy while he's still alive?

None whatsoever. He did his job. He did it well. Nothing further need be asked.

I don't see a single thing that he owes you or anyone else.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Neil armstrong will never be anything but a hero in the annals of history.
Regardless of how he handles the spotlight (or lack thereof), he will always be remembered as the first man to walk on the moon.
Nothing can ever diminsh the fact that he was the face of the greatest achievement of our species.
Like him or not, i find it personally offensive to think that people believe he owes them anything.
It's his life to live as he sees fit, and wether or not I, or anyone else, thinks he should do something different with his status is irrelevant.

He was, is, and forever will be the GREATEST of american heroes.

I would like to add that i, in no way, mean to imply that anyone else involved in the apollo program is a lesser hero than Mr. Armstrong, just that he was the figurehead of the milestone.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
This man risked his life for the apollo 11 mission. And then people critcised wether he actually did that amazing first step on the moon. Would that not piss you off? I know it would piss me off. Personally i feel sorry for him. Maybe he should have done an interview. But you have got to understand how much he gave to apollo. How much he gave to the world. (i mean that) When people said it was a hoax they were destroying his reputation. Dont YOU hate it when people call you a liar

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join