It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian Treasures in the Grand Canyon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The April 5, 1909 edition of the Arizona Gazette featured an article entitled “Explorations in Grand Canyon: Remarkable finds indicate ancient people migrated from Orient.” According to the article, the expedition was financed by the Smithsonian Institute and discovered artifacts that would, if verified, stand conventional history on its ear. Inside a cavern “hewn in solid rock by human hands” were found tablets bearing hieroglyphics, copper weapons and tools, statues of Egyptian deities and mummies. Although highly intriguing, the truth of this story is in doubt simply because the site has never been re-found. The Smithsonian disavows all knowledge of the discovery, and several expeditions searching for the cavern have come up empty-handed. Was the article just a hoax? “While it cannot be discounted that the entire story is an elaborate newspaper hoax,” writes researcher/explorer David Hatcher Childress, “the fact that it was on the front page, named the prestigious Smithsonian Institution, and gave a highly detailed story that went on for several pages, lends a great deal to its credibility. It is hard to believe such a story could have come out of thin air.” Supporters also claim that the restricted areas (of which even workers at the Canyon) are evidence of the cover-up.

Found on listverse.com...

[edit on 20/7/2009 by Conspiracyintheuk]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracyintheuk

I have read about this but could you post the links or sources where you got this information. I would like to read more on it. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I've read about this before. It's interesting stuff.

Have you ever read about the Egyptians in Australia? I am not sure about the vailidity of it, but that's still worth a read too.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Text of the original article

For those who are interested.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Hmmmmm, Maybe the show Stargate isn’t really a TV show, but an elaborate government hoax to re-direct are attention.

Its a thought.

Could it be?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
There are a few other archaeological "anomalies" like this in the SW United States that have raised the question of the Ancient Egyptians visiting the Americas before. Generally when they are found, traditional Archaeologists instantly discount them as hoaxes (they did the same with a 1st Century Jewish settlement was discovered on the Snake River in Tennessee too).

I'll have to see if I can dig up links as I haven't read about these things for quite a while...but the two that stick out foremost in my mind is a tablet that was similar to the Rosetta Stone with a text in various languages, two of which were Cherokee and Egyptian Hieroglyphic, the other was a vast catacombs in New Mexico with hundreds of mummified Native Americans that used a very similar form of mummification to Ancient Egypt.

We know that ancient Phoenician ships were entirely capable of making a Trans-Atlantic voyage. It's not unreasonable to believe that they could have been to the Americas in ancient times. Considering that there is significant evidence of trade and relations between the Ancient Egyptians and the Ancient Phoenicians took place, it's also not unreasonable to believe that the Egyptians would have been aware of this route. It's a lot of "Ifs" but it's entirely in the realm of possible...and considering we are talking about a Civilization that spanned 5000 years, it's actually far more probable that these "Ifs" would happen at some point.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
i've been shown things in the canyon by my havasupai friends that i promised i'd never discuss, but i can say that the idea is that an ancient native culture built things very similar to the egyptians, there is no claim that these artifacts and structures were built by egyptians.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The story has been classed as a hoax from the early 20th Century. Think about it. Egyptian treasures/ tomb found in the middle of a landmass on the other hemisphere of the world. Far-fetched? Has anyone looked at a map of Colorado State? Now put those treasures in a cave half way up a canyon wall....walk away. Only one man will ever discover them and be unable to prove it. I'm not using an appeal to ridicule per se...just saying that the whole story doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. It's a hoax...

We have evidence of Egyptian boats at Wadi Gawass and they wouldn't have been crossing oceans. We don't have any evidence of Egyptians bringing treasures anywhere outside of Egypt.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I was involved in another thread about this in 2006.

There are a lot of experts who will point and laugh at what they have been taught as being hog wash. We have no idea as to what went on several thousands of years ago.

What I understood was: A connection to Egypt would be a connection similar to what we have today. We drive cars, use cell phones, etc...
Should worldwide catastrophies befall us, in 10,000 years remnant civilizations would find artifacts of similar origin linking civilizations around the world.

Any civilization capable of building those structures in Egypt would have no trouble circumnavagating the globe. Those structures are evidence of a once great civilation. One who could have easily taken in the entire planet, much like we have today.

I wish people with other agendas would sit on their hands, and we could actually see things as they were left for us to find. The result is the confusion and conflicting reports we get and this is affecting our logical thought process.

So ... yes .... these things were made by local artists, much like cars are made here and on other continents.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

In the first pic of this place called the Isis Temple, in the grand canyon.

it certainly looks artificial, and that there could be an entrance there somewhere.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
some Egyptian mummies have been found to contain Nicotean and cocain [I hope I spelt those two right], so someone went to the Americas, one theory is that the Chinese visited the americas, who knows?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I was just going to comment about the Cocaine and Tobacco Mummies of Egypt.
Great minds thinking alike and all that sticky jazz...

Tobacco is indigenous to Europe and China, so that provides a reasonable explanation for the presence of tobacco in Egyptian Mummies. However, coc aine has no other explanation than potential contamination of the tests that were run (3 separate times by 3 separate teams). At this point it is just chalked up as "unknown" as to how coc aine got there.

I knew that ancient Phoenician ships could make a Trans-Atlantic voyage, but I wasn't aware that ancient Egyptian papyrus ships could too! Thor Heyer Expedition

Of course there are African Gourds that have been found in Central and South America but these are easily dismissed as having traveled on the ocean without being carried by voyagers as gourds are buoyant.

Ever since Ivan van Sertima's book "They Came Before Columbus" the entire idea that either the ancient Egyptians or even Medieval Islamic Egyptians had made the journey to the Americas is patently dismissed by archaeologists.

As to my earlier post...I found a link to the Catacombs of Casa Malpais in Arizona (not New Mexico as I had mentioned. My bad!) Arizona Catacombs of a Pre-Columbian People

However, the Rosetta-like stone found in the SE United States had to have been a hoax as I can't find anything about it and as Cherokee didn't have a written form prior to the 18th century...well, you do the math! The only Native American languages that have a written form are Olmec, Isthmian and Mayan. There are only four instances of Isthmian known, that it wouldn't have been included either. I'm going to say that what I remembered then was discounted as an obvious hoax, and properly so. So forget I even mentioned it.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Actually there is some doubt to that belief.

www.colostate.edu...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
How logical is that.....

They build monuments that we would have a hard time doing today, with our technology.

Yet we can build better transportation devices today, than the world has ever seen .....

Who can say vessels that travel on water were the only form of transportation available, when the pyramids were under construction?

Coule we be confusing two separate time periods when we use the subsequent civilisation's water transport as being the same civilisation and time period as the builders of the pyramids.

I do not believe the truth is known about the civilization who constructed those monuments in Egypt.... and may never be if certain entities have their way.

That would give us too much information about who we really are and what we were meant to become.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here is the site I found this on...I had to go through my bookmarks to find it. If there is anything there and it is now a govt area, we will probably never really know if this is true or now. If it is then WOW! I havent been able to find too much on this and I have looked in the past. It's usually the same information and nothing that is new. It would be interesting to know more about this location and what was really in these caves. The following link gives a map of where it is supposed to me and other good tidbits on this. I found this site to have the most information on Kincaid and his cave.

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

Here are some renditions of what Kincaid saw while down there..
The site above gives more detail on the pictures.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5638afb1cd2b.jpg[/atsimg]
The tombs he said he saw

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee205a6e08d3.jpg[/atsimg]
The Egyptian Heiroglyphs he said he saw

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

This is something that crops up from time to time, although it's the first time somebody took the trouble to link a referenced article. It's an interesting read, but raises concerns about biased reporting and inferences. Wells overlooks the presence of dietary nicotine (bottom right) from things like the eggplant.

Regarding the presence of coc aine...the jury's out...at least it is for me. Another study analyzed samples from 18 mummies from Dakhleh and found no evidence of coc aine and dietary levels of nicotine in most (source).

Wells makes a logical claim that there must have been some contact between S. America and Africa for the coc aine to be present. If the findings are replicated in other samples then maybe he/ she has a point worth investigating. A problem with the contention is the utter lack of any supporting evidence for even minimal contact between these continents. He infers that 'conservative' science is unwilling to allow for the possibility. It's unlikely to be as simple as a bloody-minded refusal to 'think out the box.'

Coca can grow in N Africa...why isn't it there? The Egyptians left records of their trade routes and neighbors...no mention of a new landmass. Their neighbors have no records of this landmass either. Egyptian ships aren't thought to be able to manage ocean voyages. The only 'mystery' location is Punt and that's considered to be under the Red Sea.

Wells ought to understand these considerations..and many more...before he draws so many conclusions from Balababova's results.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Anyone willing to play Indiana Jones and go look for these?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Fair enough...it would make a great Indiana Jones movie. Better plot material than the last one and lots of mystical 'flashback' potential. Some crazy Mum-Ra/ Imhotep using magic forces to cross the ocean and 800 miles of desert USA...

On arrival they construct a huge temple tomb and inter the dead amidst untold splendor. How can Imhotep possibly stop the secret getting out? He conjures the forces of Horus to transmogrify the workforce into eternal guardians of the Temple. In horror they realize their fates...Imhotep sighs deeply for the deeds he must do for Pharaoh...with sadness and regret he returns to Egypt.

Jumpcut to 1900s and Kincaid dodges guardians to gaze in wonder at the treasure trove. Indiana Jones stumbles across the legend and grins ruefully (you know? THAT smile?). He contacts the Smithsonian and asks about Kincaid...

Subject: Smithsonian Explorer - Reply Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:09:36 -0400

From: "Smithsonian Information" To: [email protected] Jack Andrews Your online inquiry of May 17 has been received in this office for response. Staff in our Office of Smithsonian Archives advise that neither G.E. Kincaid nor S. A. Jordan were ever employed by the Smithsonian. Further, they have no proof that these people ever existed. These two names appear in an article published in the Phoenix Gazette on April 5, 1909 that alleges that G.E. Kincaid and S.A. Jordan were Smithsonian employees responsible for locating Egyptian temples in the Grand Canyon. Please note, however, that this story is untrue. The only records of G. E. Kincaid and S.A. Jordan in the Smithsonian Archives are the 1909 Phoenix Gazette newspaper article, from which this myth appears to have originated, inquiries regarding the story, and the Smithsonian Institution responses to those letters. Your interest in the Smithsonian Institution is appreciated. 3/95/
Smithsonian Institute Reply

There's nothing like a good 'cover-up' in the movies

[edit on 20-7-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

This is a fascinating story. They could of had access to the area by navigating the Colorado River, and that would mean they were on the Pacific Ocean side. Could the ancient Egyptians have had a trade route with the earliest Americans? Again, there is some evidence (tobacco) to suggest contact with the peoples here.

The story does not sound so far fetched when one starts to think about this subject. I do think an investigation needs to be done to find out if the story is a hoax or if there are some truths in it. Egytology was very popular in that time, so the hoax possibility is strong.

Thank you to the OP and others for the many links.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
And here is a page scroll to the very bottom and read the last paragraph.

The other stuff is good too but the last paragraph if true kind of seals the deal for me.

Link

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join