It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunken City off of Cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

In May 2001, an exciting discovery was made by Advanced Digital Communications (ADC) who were mapping the ocean bottom of Cuba’s territorial waters. Sonar readings revealed something unexpected and quite amazing 2,200 feet down: stones laid out in a geometric pattern that looked very much like the ruins of a city. “Nature couldn’t have built anything so symmetrical. This isn’t natural, but we don’t know what it is.” said Paul Weinzweig, of ADC. A great sunken city? National Geographic showed a great deal of interest in the site and was involved in subsequent investigations. In 2003, a minisub dove down to explore the structures. Paulina Zelitsky of ADC said they saw a structure that “looks like it could have been a large urban center. However, it would be totally irresponsible to say what it was before we have evidence.”

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Link to the actual text (not the picture) is here.

A comment about this. The picture attached to the site is an artist rendition but does not even come close to what they found. The symetric blocks they found turned out to be naturally formed.

(Trying to find link now - I will edit with it)

Edit: Now got links

Bimini Road
Tessellated pavement

[edit on 2009/7/20 by TLomon]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracyintheuk

I think the details of this discovery were tenuous. The structures on the sea floor had every possibility of being ballast from US and Soviet Navies. The area was a favored dumping ground for naval waste. In this light, the later footage of indistinct straight edges and 'pyramids' could have been dumped concrete blocks. Also the depth of the 'city' created some doubts. It was difficult to attribute sea level rises or geological reasons for the extreme depth. Furthermore, no occupied sites across the islands supported the notion of a city...

Where Zelitsky screwed up was in her negotiations for funding and rights to the discovery. IIRC she had a $million + offer from Discovery, but tried to encourage a 'bidding war' by inviting another mediacorp to make an offer. These expeditions can cost millions to fund. The other corp offered a higher price conditional on viewing the video footage. They didn't feel the footage was compelling enough to risk the money and withdrew....Discovery was peeved by the lack of faith in their own offer and also withdrew.

All this left Zelitsky with debts accrued for ship's crews, resources etc. The story ended there...for now. I'm going off memory and could be wrong in some details

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The original site for Zelitsky is here. If you read the site with a scientific mind, you will realize how much guessing this alleged scientist does instead of actual investigation.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracyintheuk

It is now known that the sea level was over 300 feet lower during the last ice age. The ruins are claimed to be over 2000 feet down. Could an earthquake cause the ground to sink that much? That is a question to our resident geologists and seismologists out there.

Cuba has now allowed any dives into the mystery areas off its coasts. They did deny permission to the producers of UFO Hunters to look at some anomalous areas.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I'm working on an article summary that collects the many internet posts and speculations on the underwater Cuba site and will post it up soon.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

I'm a firm believer that the water levels rose a lot more than 300 feet (I believe a kilometer give or take). While it is possible that an earthquake could cause it to settle a lot lower, its not at all probable as the whole site would be completely engulfed by the sea floor and would disappear.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForbiddenHologram

I'm a firm believer that the water levels rose a lot more than 300 feet (I believe a kilometer give or take). While it is possible that an earthquake could cause it to settle a lot lower, its not at all probable as the whole site would be completely engulfed by the sea floor and would disappear.

A kilometer?

What would you say is the reason that the scientists have gotten this so wrong?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by ForbiddenHologram

A kilometer?

What would you say is the reason that the scientists have gotten this so wrong?

Why don't you go there yourself and settle the issue for ATS. I bet Castro's brother will let you explore the western side of the island for free in the name of science. It would be great if ATS gave you a grant to check it out. Or we could have an ATS version of 'myth busters' where you actually go on location. You just need to get your hands on a cheap R.O.V. with a vacuum attachment.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace

Why don't you go there yourself and settle the issue for ATS. I bet Castro's brother will let you explore the western side of the island for free in the name of science. It would be great if ATS gave you a grant to check it out. Or we could have an ATS version of 'myth busters' where you actually go on location. You just need to get your hands on a cheap R.O.V. with a vacuum attachment.

I wish! Unfortunately my skills are shore and snorkel based. I would suspect I'd be personal non grata in Cuba.

Heck a good 'dipping' camera would work

new topics

top topics

join