It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New drug shields against radiation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

A MEDICATION that can protect people exposed to normally lethal doses of radiation from a nuclear or a "dirty" bomb has been developed, reports say.

In tests involving 650 monkeys exposed to radiation equivalent to that recorded during the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster in 1986, 70 per cent died while the rest suffered serious maladies, the newspaper Yediot Achronot said yesterday.

Of the group given anti-radiation shots, almost all survived and had no side effects. A test on humans not exposed to radiation showed none suffered side effects from the medication.

The medication was developed by Andrei Gudkov, chief scientific officer at Cleveland BioLabs in the US. Also involved was Israel's Elena Feinstein.

"We made a breakthrough that may save the lives of millions," Dr Gudkov was quoted as saying.

The medication has important implications in the treatment of cancer, the report said, since it permits use of more powerful radiation.....

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

If this is all true and it does no harm now or in the future to our genetics, then WOW this is incredible. We could spend more time outdoors in the sun, explore regions of space once deemed impossible due to radiation and lots of other stuff.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Meh.. For my part I think it is more Iodine pill wishfull thinking. I mean I can not see how a chemical will protect my skinny surface dwelling monkey skin from things like gamma wave and x rays etc etc.

A little piece of liquid matter is alleged to stop a radio active wavelength from penetrating and passing through my body...

I could only wish.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
so they finally invented rad-x

Fallout Las Vegas, here we go.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

"The medication works by suppressing the 'suicide mechanism' of cells hit by radiation," the newspaper said, "while enabling them to recover from the radiation-induced damages that prompted them to activate the suicide mechanism in the first place."

The medication is a preventative drug administered by one or several doses.

if true, they should monitor longer term incidence of cancer, because there's a chance that cell and genome damage aren't repaired, resulting in .. what? cancer?

it's a nice thing to have for sure, i wouldn't increase Xray use, though.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I thought the whole concept of a dirty bomb was just propaganda made up to scare dumb populations. I remember watching a documentary that said many of the worlds top nations had tried to make a dirty bomb but in the end they decided it was impossible to get enough rads per square foot to cause anyone any damage.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose
I thought the whole concept of a dirty bomb was just propaganda made up to scare dumb populations. I remember watching a documentary that said many of the worlds top nations had tried to make a dirty bomb but in the end they decided it was impossible to get enough rads per square foot to cause anyone any damage.

I believe you're correct from what I've heard a dirty bomb wouldn't be anymore destructive than an equivalent bomb possibly slightly higher background radiation after but supposedly dispersed enough to make the whole thing pointless.

I think the whole Idea of dirty bombs is mainly just used as a scaremongering tool by the media.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Thank you for that good information. If it works it will be a great discovery.

Please keep us informed as I cannot ingest anything with iodine in it. I swell up like a puffer fish and my throat closes up. Not a pretty or life sustainable condition.

The old IVP dye had a generous portion of iodine in it and so does seafood from the Gulf of Mexico. Both will send me to the hospital in a hurry.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

LOL I thought that exact same thing!!!! So when are we gonna get some psycho for that added damage boost? (oops already do its called PCP) So any word on stimpacks yet? Rad-Away?

On a serious note, do you think they are making preparations for WW3? I hope not, I kinda like this planet after all.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by DaMod]

new topics

top topics

join