It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our New Approach To Plagiarized ATS Member Content

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Some members here on ATS are members at other like-minded sites. That, I assume, is how most of the plagiarism is discovered.

Sad to me that these other sites would threaten counter lawsuits. I think these other sites are just jealous, both by the amazingness of ATS and by the quality of discussions. I've noticed on other sites there is a tendency for a discussion to devolve into name calling and nothing one-line posts that usually just contain a smiley.

Anyway, this is good and I hope that the new policy will settle a lot of the stink.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Hi, I have 2 questions. I find little video's here and there that were created by someone else like the one below. I dont remember where I found it or who made it. Can I still use it? How do we know if it's Plagiarism?

My second question is about images that say copyright on them. I think only one of my images did so I added the source link to that image. Can we use copyright images?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety
If you're all so concerned about plagiarism, then bloody don't write content...it really is as simple as that.

Go and write a book and sell that, and you'll have all your IP bounded by the covers

As someone who has had thier work in academic circles stolen (and then presented to them at a conference even leaving in my typos to boot) I take a dim view of the lack of ethics and morals assosiated with this type of behavior.

If people stop writting origional content, whats the point? Where is the incentive? Not just here, but anywhere. How hard is it to add a link back to the inital source?

If people show a lack of morals and ethics with one medium how exactly is a book going to stop them from doing the same :shk:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It would be ironic if another site was to accuse ATS of plagerism for content that originated from here. No doubt dates of posts would prove otherwise.

My thoughts are about content that makes it into books. Unfortunately, some content may be similar to others, such as abduction experiences.

I doubt we would be notified of those.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Exactly, you can't stop people doing things with your content. 'Tis the way of the internet.

Okay, i agree with your intent where people should post acknowledgement, but in reality having copyright for the written word is nonsense.

If you write a book however and someone blatantly copies it verbatim, then you have every right to pursue infringement as they are passing off original works as their own as profit.

Did you know for example, that i could translate Harry Potter into Cantonese and then i have some copyright claims over the authors original works, because i have injected my own IP from the original content by translation.

ATS, blogs et al are all based on the underlying framework of copying other peoples content.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is the best form of flattery is imitation. Expecting someone to insert your name, is wishful thinking in the realms of the internet content behemoth. It really isn't worth getting worked up about.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

If you're all so concerned about plagiarism, then bloody don't write content...it really is as simple as that.

In that case there would be no content at ATS for you to look at. Let me guess you probably feel its ok to copy someone else's exams at school too...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

It's just common courtesy to give proper attribution when using someone elses information. Taking credit for someone elses work? You're cool with that? Unethical behaviour to say the least... Yeah, you may get away with it, but that doesn't make it right.

[edit on 7/20/2009 by seagull]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

...you can't stop people doing things with your content. 'Tis the way of the internet.

No, you're wrong. It's "the way" of people who lack ethics, who happen to be on the Internet.

but in reality having copyright for the written word is nonsense.
If you write a book however and someone blatantly copies it verbatim, then you have every right to pursue infringement as they are passing off original works as their own as profit.

You just contradicted yourself.

Did you know for example, that i could translate Harry Potter into Cantonese and then i have some copyright claims over the authors original works, because i have injected my own IP from the original content by translation.

Incorrect.

You have a limited right to the translation, only if your translation was first allowed by the original author. Otherwise, your translation is a violation.

ATS, blogs et al are all based on the underlying framework of copying other peoples content.

Incorrect again.

Many of the discussions here on ATS are based on other people's content and we demand our members provider proper credit. In fact, we don't allow the copying of other people's content.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Well, I've had some of my ATS content posted on another website, one that calls themselves a news site to boot. They included my work in their report. Obviously they should have known better.

In that case I was actually not bothered to be honest, but that's not really the point ...

The point is that I appreciate that ATS staff would go 'to bat' for me should the situation arise again and I or any other member is bothered by it.

So I think a thank you is in order.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Great stuff SO.. Thanks for the update on this.

And just out of pure curiosity I ran a plagiarism search on one of my own threads, Dr. Crippen using article checker and discovered something really odd (well, for me at least.. you guys may know more about it..that's why I'm posting here)

I discovered this info

Blog Articles for H.R.549 - OpenCongress
H.R. 549 · ATS site home ATS board home site map top terms & conditions privacy policy contact about AboveTopSecret archive · The Above Network, LLC. ...
www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h549/blogs - Cached - Similar

www.google.com..."ATS+site+home++++ATS+board+home++++site+map++++top++++terms+%26+con

The actual article it leads to is this

Riots in France, page 1
H.R. 549 · ATS site home ATS board home site map top terms & conditions privacy policy contact about AboveTopSecret archive · The Above Network, LLC. | Advertising on AboveTopSecret.com | About | Statistics | Demographics | News | Legal .
Was this article useful? Yes or No
Source: AboveTopSecret.com New Topics In Breaking...
www.opencongress.org...

Is this just a blog site or is it really connected to Congress? I have no idea as such but just thought I should mention this.. I don't know why my Crippen thread would lead to a 'riots in france' mention on a 'congress' blog site.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
if i were to be plagerised on another site , i would never know. i don't go to
any other sites. how does anybody have time for that?

I have found the reproduced threads when I have done searches on certain subjects.

Due to my interest in subject I continue searches on them. I sometimes come across a thread reproduced in a forum.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I would just like to throw in the mix of offered sites this one which also is free and I find it to be extremely easy and concise in it's results.

plagscan.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I hope to one day join the lofty ranks of our most repected content contributors, and it feels good to know ATS has our back on this.

Thanks guys you do tremendous work.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld

Hi, I have 2 questions. I find little video's here and there that were created by someone else like the one below. I dont remember where I found it or who made it. Can I still use it? How do we know if it's Plagiarism?

My second question is about images that say copyright on them. I think only one of my images did so I added the source link to that image. Can we use copyright images?

Zoolander is a great movie.......

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Draconian copyright still causing a nuisance for ATS; the horror. Just be done with it and let it be a free-for-all. Let the internet be free from the shackles of stupid laws that are so fluffy they can't be imposed with 100% certainty. You want an example, okay:

OP:
"This is my sentence, it belongs to me. Copright is f# ridiculous"

Plagerised:
"This is a sentence, it belongs to moi. f# copright, tis ridiculous"

Probably a bad example as i understand you are trying to stop people just copy 'n pasting content, but why????? They will soon be exposed when asked questions of their post and it's obvious they have "misrepresented their own talent".

Honestly, copyright and the internet is such an oxymoron.

It goes way beyond a single sentence being copied. It is the effort and hard work people put into gathering information, putting together a post or thread and then having that taken and used as the work of someone else.

I know if I were to put effort into a post that I felt was worth posting here on ATS, complete with reference images, quotes, etc etc and someone else just decided to take my work and fail to attribute it to me, I would be rather annoyed. And that's what this is about.

However if I were to simply write a statement and someone used that, I wouldn't really care and would probably take it as a compliment.

People who go to the effort of making decent threads have every right to complain and either have correct attribution or their work safeguarded from plagiarism.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have added a few stories here because I feel and always felt like it was protected in some way. Someone actually told me that one story I created, ATS owns now, and I should take it off. I thought about it, and really didn't care because the stories I have are infinite and I could create two zillion compared to the one the person was talking about.

Reading through this thread, I realized I was correct. The content I post here is protected by very "content savvy" moderators and staff. At least that is the impression I get from reading through this thread. I enjoy reading the posts of ATS members who read my material and I wouldn't share it anywhere else. This place has a unique way of making every topic very serious and demands an intelligent and proper response to some of the wildest topics I've ever encountered.

Am I correct in feeling so free here as to post original works, or should I use caution? Quite frankly all the copyright stuff and plagiarism issues that have been showing up recently are beginning to have me worried a bit.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
We've recently been through a few rounds of rather frustrating responses from website admins after encountering ATS member posts being used on other sites without proper attribution -- the method to provide attribution is clearly specified on every post of ATS.

Seems like there is a hint of double-speak in the above statement.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiote
Seems like there is a hint of double-speak in the above statement.

There is none. Those are the facts, succinctly stated.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I applaud you sir!!

Thank you for watching our backs so we can enjoy the wonders of this site.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarp2000

Perfectly put starwarp2000! That is what I am meaning to ask. Are we free to enjoy the wonders of this site and know that our backs are covered? Because I would hate to feel confined or worried when I post something here.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join