It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Gorges Dam in China–Largest in World – Serious Problems? Affects the Whole Earth

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Of course the amount of water that would be put into motion should the dam break will be miniscule in comparison to the amount of water that was put into motion by the Earthquake in the Indian Ocean that created the giant tsunamis, not to mention the distance the water traveled. I doubt this dam bursting will have anywhere as much effect as those giant tsunamis.

However, the massive wall of water that could be released if the dam fails would be like a giant hammer pounding against the continent. Hopefully it will not be rhythmically pounding as the wall of water rushes towards the oceans, but it will be numerous hammer blows that could set the continent ringing, possibly start some earthquakes.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Great post! S&F times 3!

My only question would be if they decide that the dam becomes more trouble than it is worth isn't the damage already done?

For example if they decide to somehow remove the dam, is there any way they could possibly do this without causing the environment further turmoil? They can't exactly just break it and it seems as if draining it slowly comes with it's own plethora of problems. They built the dam, and now there is nothing they can do about it. They will probably take safety precautions to make sure it doesn't fail but what about all the other problems? I'd imagine loosing a major fishery is no small problem! That alone would have a world wide chain reaction in our oceans. One more thing to worry about?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

thats what i said a few posts ago just 126 days left for the dam to break or less

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
There is geologic evidence that the Three Gorges Dam contributed to the devastating earthquake in Sichuan. As the dam was filling up, the fault located near it became increasingly quieter. There's an article on BBC about it that I'll have to go look for. The increased weight of the water being retained by the dam certainly may have been enough to decrease regular seismic movements in the fault. Of course, when movement in a fault is hampered it builds up tension to be released as an earthquake.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Good thing the Illuminati held us back on the rest of Tesla's
technology and sold China on the Niagara Falls stuff.
You see what is happening here.
No.
OK.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
This "Thing" has been built in an area where there are already fault lines, the weight of the water in the dam will cause more seepage of water into the fault lines and lubricate them which can AND PROBABLY WILL cause huge earthquakes.

Actually the introduction of water won't "lubricate" the fault. Water infiltration would have a greater impact on the crystallization of plutonic masses but that is a different topic. The mass of water has already been shown to have contributed to the 2008 Sichuan earthquake. Its the mass, not the water itself.

There have already been MANY reports of fish dying up and downstream of the dam due to pollution!

To be fair, that pollution was there before the dam was.

The dam is probably causing more damage than we could ever imagine or will ever hear about and it DOESN'T just effect the Chinese but everyone one of us that inhabits this planet.

If it breaks then it will affect only the Chinese, it won't cause a shift in anything but it will create a man-made disaster unlike any other. Of course, I say that in the sense of disasters involving a giant wall of water cascading down. The major way that you'd be affected could be anything from factories being destroyed, sweeping a polluted smelter off the face of the earth, or even drawing money from your governments to provide aid for a humanitarian crisis.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Not that i see a direct link to this target you talk about. but..

the time wave has a decent vertical drop exactly at the start of the 22cnd.

we all know that a lot of mind-changing disasters were viewable as large drops as well.

don't blame me for bringing this forth, we will see what happends.

I've been watching the timewave...... Remember Michael J? Bingo.

Look up the date of his death in the wave. It's there. exactly where it should be.

Greetz

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Is there any way to follow this dam "live" during the eclipse?

Google earth or any other way?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gusan

Keep your eyes on the news, that's the only way. If something strange does happen, and it is a major event then it will get picked up by someone. Depending on your region you may have to rely on the Internet for updates.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK
reply to post by badmedia

I feel sorrow when bumping onto posts such as yours.
Its really startling how some people are left 100% brainwashed into the modern reality of things reconong this is all normal and ok...

Guess what! Unfortunately it is not and mankind has been digging its own grave through lack of respect to the fellow Earthlings and the environment.
One such minor lack of respect is demonstrated by the harshness of your post reply to such a good thread by questioningall in quality and information that is also well researched and well presented.

It is the fact that people blindly create and accept authorities on topics that causes the "100% brainwashing" in the first place. Just because you have switched "authorities" from mainstream to alternative doesn't mean anything at all. You are still applying the same failed mindset as those you are pointing fingers at.

In order to find the truth about things, it means being able to understand, dismiss and tell fact from fiction. I'm not at all sorry that I have done this. I'm just as critical towards any topic, no matter what the source is.

A good bit of the post wasn't even directed towards the main point of the solar eclipse. It was the effects of a dam on the environment, and has nothing at all to do with some eclipse going to make a dam fail, killing the 330 million people below it.

Sorry, but putting a word into google, copy and pasting a bunch of random information about the topic, and then loosely making claims isn't what I consider to be doing research. Once a history and pattern of such things is established, it should be the duty of anyone who wants to "deny ignorance" to point such things out.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
s & f for the op. I did read about the indian's prophecy, which was very interesting indeed. I have had many dreams about flooded land and coastal areas over the past decade, so I am interested in seeing if it is related to this possible coming event. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
ah what a refreshing thread. complete with the timewave analysis and doomsday predictions

there have been dam disasters throughout history. if this one fails it will just be bigger with more casualties. just another man made disaster. but on a global scale that's like an ant jumping up and down on a watermelon...

then again those who love to live in fear of the end may do so until this prophecy is proven wrong. and then you have to just refocus on some other "terrible event"

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well china's screwed itself over even more. They might as well burn everything, it won't make much of a difference at this point (jk!). Golly gee, China, you've done it again!

I feel sorry for the animals that are caught up in this

This is the problem with people, we don't look at the consequences, just the benefits no matter how short-lived they are. Money money money at the expense of everything/one else involved!

Edit to add: And what's all this hooey about a "prophecy" about the eclipse?? I don't recall solar eclipses impacting anything in the past but the people who watch without proper eye-wear. How do people come up with this stuff?

[edit on 7/21/09 by MoothyKnight]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I love the way you fail to take distance into account and then you go on to say that the United States Office of Naval Research is wrong. Our we maybe just a little bit full of ourself today?

Plus don't forget it's also monsoon season which increases the water mass being pulled against the dam, and the moon is a Super Moon which decreases the distance causing a greater combined (Sun and Moon) gravitational pull then you would have in a normal eclipse. And obviously the location and duration of this particular event will in fact need to be taken into consideration as well.

You need to tape up your glasses Poindexter and pull your slide ruler back out because the math you think you did does NOT contain all of the necessary variables that you need to be thinking about.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SaraThustra

Well, even so, this will be incredibly minor. There will be no ill-effects from this event that will cause this dam to collapse, it's simply not going to happen. People are acting as if massive waves are going to pound against the walls of the dam, bringing it down. There is a lot of headroom for more water, they plan it that way you know. A slight rise or some timid action due to a slightly greater than normal pull is not going to do a thing.

You gotta hand it to this board. It masters the ability to take a simple event, blow it 110% out of proportion, add some goofy prophecy made either by spirit-mediums, the Internet (snicker), or in this case, a native american having bad dreams.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

...causing a greater combined (Sun and Moon) gravitational pull...

Hate to break in, here. But, really???

The gravitational attractive force of the Sun as far as its effects on what happens on the Earth's surface is miniscule!!! And, it is NOT multiplied just because the Moon is "in line" between the Sun and the Earth!

I mean, check this out --- the Earth and Sun meet up every 24 hours, correct? I mean, the Earth turns...Sun 'appears' in the sky, passes overhead (from our point of view) every 24 hours. Right???

Angle of Sun in sky changes, depending on your latitude. At the Equator, hardly any change....right???

SO...big dealio...Moon shows up (as it does ALL the time) and happens to (from a certain point of view) cross in front of the Sun, causing a shadow on the Earth's surface (which, BTW, isn't even as big as the actual Moon, because of the distance).

...A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the Sun and the Earth so that the Sun is fully or partially covered. This can only happen during a new moon, when the Sun and Moon are in conjunction as seen from the Earth. At least two and up to five solar eclipses can occur each year on Earth, with between zero and two of them being total eclipses.[1] Total solar eclipses are nevertheless rare at any location because during each eclipse totality exists only along a narrow corridor in the relatively tiny area of the Moon's umbra.

A total solar eclipse is a spectacular natural phenomenon and many people travel to remote locations to observe one. The 1999 total eclipse in Europe helped to increase public awareness of the phenomenon, as illustrated by the number of journeys made specifically to witness the 2005 annular eclipse and the 2006 total eclipse. The most recent solar eclipse occurred on January 26, 2009, and was an annular eclipse. On July 22 2009, the next total solar eclipse will occur....

en.wikipedia.org...

Here's the not-to-scale representation...note how the shadow narrows, as it travels from the Moon to the Earth:

Sorry...wasn't trying to scare-monger anyone....just like to use science as a tool of knowledge, not fear...

[edit on 21 July 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

So I guess you didn't do the math, huh? I did take the distance into account (and I haven't used a slide "ruler" in a long time).

I didn't say your stolen quote was wrong but it is incomplete. You omitted this part;

The key to tides is the varying strength of the Moon's gravitational pull on different parts of the globe. The Moon pulls most on the water nearest to it, creating a high tide bulge of water. On the opposite side of the planet, about 7,926 miles (1,2760 km) away, the Moon's pull is much weaker and the water is left to form another high tide bulge. Low tides are found halfway between the highs. The rotating Earth carries us through these regions of high and low water.
www.onr.navy.mil...

You know, the part that matches what I said, the "blah..blah...blah" part. You see, the Sun really does pull much harder on the Earth than the Moon does but its gravity is more "spread out" because of the distance it is from us. The strength of the Sun's gravity does not vary on different parts of the Earth as much as the strength of the Moon's gravity does. That is why the Sun affects the tides less than the Moon does.

BTW, the moon is closest to the Earth right now. Tomorrow, during the eclipse, it will be further away. But that's a minor point. There is "Super Moon" several times a year. There are high tides every month. The dam has lasted through quite a few "Super Moon's" and this one will not be any different. The eclipse will have no effect.

fourmilab.ch...

[edit on 7/21/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I can only laugh, but seriously. The Dam will not fail because of the eclipse. The prophecy is a bunch of crap. And so on. Yes the Moon affects the tides and the atmosphere but not to any great degree. The Magnetosphere and the earths core are a different story.

As for the wall of water, the vibration of that much mass charging down the valley and "hitting" the ocean could resonably cause a tsunami. This energy wave could in fact pick up speed in open water and possibly hit another country. That is speculation as I have not sat down and calculated the math. But needless to say it theoretically could happen.

The vibration wave absorbed by the earth could trigger quakes if the techtonic plates are stressed. There are 5 that meet in that general area. I think the Chinese government ought to be very proud of themselves. Just like the WTC towers that were poorly built and loaded with asbestos and were rotting from Galvanic Decomposition and need to be torn down, thanks Bush, China will use this to get world sympathy, reduce their population and start all kinds of mayhem world wide when we aren't paying attention but are focused on this disaster.

Sound about right? Deductive reasoning anyone, plausibility?

Almost forgot, good post by the OP.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by daddio]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Question, if I may ask a question, how does the eclipse affect the dam, and the shadow going across the dam affect the dam itself? Isn't an eclipse just a steller shadow? Does the shadow possess excessive gravity itself? I am new to this forum and am trying to get a feel for the theories, but are physics defied by an eclipse? Do I think the chinese were irresponsible? Yes, do I think that a failure of this damn dooms us all? Nope. I enjoy the amount of work going into this, and the amount of evidence that has been gathered. I just feel too much is being read into this eclipse, like many before it.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Do you know if there are any other Dams sitting on or near the path of the eclipse? China has a massive amount of hydro.dams.
India also has one (U.S.funded) that has had lots of issues too and sits on a fault line.

I also recall reading the number 400 as an estimate of dams built on
fault lines.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join