It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Gorges Dam in China–Largest in World – Serious Problems? Affects the Whole Earth

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Here is a very good article on the dam in Scientific American. It substantiates all the research in this thread.www.scientificamerican.com...

My biggest gripe with the way China conducts business is their propensity to shove aside legitimate environmental and human rights concerns for commerce. It is the same kind of thinking that Mao devastated his country with.

The dam was built in order to move more goods out of the country...nothing more. The estimated increased for the movement of goods jumped from 10 million tonnes to 100 million.

Anyone can imagine the effects on the environment and the people if the dam failed. Can anyone imagine the effects of a 90 percent drop in their economy?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
Anyone can imagine the effects on ... the people if the dam failed.

Well, if you want to get really conspiratorial on it, you could say that the Elites have determined that there are too many dam people (rim shot) in China and we need to reduce the population.

(I feel so dirty for joining into that puerile humor but that's really what just typed out. Apologies to the OP).

But seriously folks, I think that this is just a hyper-example of governments always trying to have bigger and bigger projects to rattle their nationalistic cajones to the rest of the world. Unfortunately, that kind of chest-beating might kill a LOT of innocent people.

Ultimately, if the dam does fail - and I believe it will, thanks to all the info provided - I will be interested to see if anyone learns the lesson or we just say, "The next one will be better."

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I just wanted to clear up a misconception.

Like QuestionGall said, she never predicted that the dam would fail on the 22nd; however, the Indian visionary never predicted that the dam would specifically fail on that day either.

In his vision he was told that what was foreshown to him would befall the Chinese people within 333 days after Cronkite's death. Essentially, it can happen any day now up until the 333rd day.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Adono86

Yes, I had watched the first one the other day - there are many good vids about the dam - Al Jazerra did one too.

The second is a very good vid too!

Thanks for the links!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This feels like the plot to a disaster movie - power mad elite build worlds largest dam, ignoring the concerns of the world scientific community before watching on as the dam bursts killing millions. Is Roland Emmerich reading this?!

Great post. Let's hope the dam is strong enough to last until it's dismantled.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I was in China two years before they began filling behind the dam. It was heartbreaking to learn of the forced removal of millions of people from countless little villages--villages with culture, character and history. Little old men and women would gather in the center of the village, play mah jong, gossip, gamble and watch the grandchildren. These villages are gone now. They were replaced by concrete high-rises up on the hills.

In addition to destroying that environment, an endangered species of river dolphin is now gone, along with valuable fish.

There was an "informative" film shown at the dam site which explained how safe the technology is and how carefully the Chinese expert engineers have constructed the entire facility, COMPLETELY REMOVING any risk of flooding, etc.

The Chinese government doesn't take well to questioning.

Meanwhile, all of us got sick because the air was filled with dust and debris and our lungs couldn't handle it. The only "good" air we saw ANYWHERE in China was in Hong Kong. Everywhere else, coal and crop-burnings make the air VISIBLE.

I'm very sorry for the Chinese.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
ACCORDING TO THIS>>>YES IT WILL BREAK WITHIN 333 DAYS

Walter Cronkite’s Death is a Time Marker for Cataclysmic Events Soon to Follow...China's Dam will break with 333 days of the death of Walter Cronkite
READ HERE
standeyo.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Firstly great research and work Questioningall.

I have read quite a bit about the three gorges, do to my being a fan of massive engineering projects.

The effect of this new body of water was expected by the chinese and other engineers. They knew that the earth would become more compacted under the reservoir due to the new massive weight. They also hypothesized tremors, possibly resulting in land slides. This is not the first time such a phenomena has happened.

The people being relocated is unfortunate but at the same time the chinese built them new homes. The Chinese did an amazing job building this dam and its construction has been an accomplishment for all of humanity in pushing our limits a bit more. Even if the thing is a catastrophe we will then learn about any mistakes that were implemented and prevent them from happening in the future.

This damn has 0 effect on the wobble of earth. Its mass is insignificant to the planet. Its not like the water was transported here from another planet or something adding new mass to the planet.

But only time will tell if your theory about the eclipse will have any impact, i do not know, but suppose it is possible.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wideawake08

Holy Cow! So now we are preparing for disasters because Walter Kronkite died and some people think that his death is the precursor to future events? WTF?

So does every newscasters death lead to future cataclysm? When Tim Russert died did the world come to an end.

Stan Deyo is a con artist or a raving lunatic. Period.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wideawake08
ACCORDING TO THIS>>>YES IT WILL BREAK WITHIN 333 DAYS

Walter Cronkite’s Death is a Time Marker for Cataclysmic Events Soon to Follow...China's Dam will break with 333 days of the death of Walter Cronkite
READ HERE
standeyo.com...

I can always tell when something is a load of rubbish, as soon as it is sensationalized. Will it break within the next year? No. In the next 250 days? No. Rather, 333 days, half of 666. Unless it breaks on day 333, why the sensationalized #? Oh yea.. it makes it sound "mysterious" and people are more inclined to buy it.

A guy who recites something like a story rather than a set of facts, AFTER the person he "predicts" to die is diagnosed to do so very soon (he was after 90, after all), is hardly eye-opening nor staggering.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
All you people claiming the the solar eclipse has no effect on the Earths gravity, like you are stating facts, need to start reading other peoples posts, and doing some research before you shoot you mouths off claiming absolutes like you know what you are talking about.

Scientists do consider the effects of an eclipse on the Earth's gravity to be a very real possibility. I posted a link to an article on the subject earlier. In fact, a great many instruments are set up to try and record any effect on the Earths gravity this eclipse might have around the dam. I guess you know it alls should contact those scientists and tell them they are wasting their time.

Think about how much force the moon and the sun must exert to create the tides. The sun and the moon are literally displacing god knows how many tons of water, probably millions of tons of water, to create our ocean's tides. That is some powerful force.

Whether or not it can effect this dam is yet to be seen. This is a significant event.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
If the Chinese hurry they can get a two-for-one deal on Mighty Putty, in honor of the late Billy Mays...

[edit on 20/7/09 by TrailGator]

[edit on 20/7/09 by TrailGator]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
This feels like the plot to a disaster movie - power mad elite build worlds largest dam, ignoring the concerns of the world scientific community before watching on as the dam bursts killing millions. Is Roland Emmerich reading this?!

Great post. Let's hope the dam is strong enough to last until it's dismantled.

Well, he does have a movie about 2012 coming out this fall, and I did see a Chinese soldier in the latest trailer...

... yeah, he probably has thought of it.

And to the OP: God dam! Not too keen on the more mystical bits at the end, but the science and reports that you presented was excellent and well-researched. Nothing's changed about how the Chinese government runs things, except that now, they're doing it in the name of capitalism instead of communism. I've already got the inevitable New York Post headline for the day that thing goes down:

THREE GORGES DAMN!

S&F.

Edit: Is it wrong that I've put two "dam/damn" jokes into the same post?

[edit on 7/20/2009 by KevinR1990]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by SaraThustra

No.

When talking about tides it is important to note that they are not produced so much by the force of gravity but by the gravity gradient. What produces tidal effects is the fact that the force of the moon's gravity on one side of the Earth is greater than the force of its gravity on the opposite side of the earth. This is why high tides occur on opposite sides of the Earth at the same time... BLAH BLAH BLAH

Look, I know what the science is but to make a point it's more important to keep it simple...

The Sun and Moon pull on the Earth, the water, even you! But gravitational attraction depends on distance and mass.

The Sun is extremely massive, but it is an average of 93 million miles (150 million km) from Earth, compared with about 238,866 miles (384,400 km) from here to the Moon. And since the Moon is nearly 400 times closer to our planet, its influence on our oceans, land, or anything else, is twice as strong as the Sun's.

If they pull in tandem, as during an eclipse, the force is combined which is the whole point. If the dam is unable to contain the greater force, the dam will break.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/2d097edae5cab44f.jpg[/atsimg]

I was amazed many times by the quality of your threads and i certainly respect your contribution for the well being of our planet through your environmental concerns.

What you have brought forward yet another time is a problem that we were kept away from, because the distribution of problems and malpractices is one the people in control do not want us all to see.

Thank you!

I do not know for sure how big the immediate impact from the solar eclipse will be if any, but the environmental impacts of the damn are a fact both to China and to the World.

The above picture i synthesised is a thank you for your work

If there are angels on Earth for Earth and consequently for mankind then you must be one of those showing up through the digital world!

Take care and always be well!
GTG

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SaraThustra

No. You don't know what the science is. You just demonstrated that. (You also demonstrated your ability to cut and paste without understanding the content)

The Sun is extremely massive, but it is an average of 93 million miles (150 million km) from Earth, compared with about 238,866 miles (384,400 km) from here to the Moon. And since the Moon is nearly 400 times closer to our planet, its influence on our oceans, land, or anything else, is twice as strong as the Sun's.

The force of gravity between two masses is proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely to square of the distance. If you do the math you'll find that the sun actually exerts about 175 times the gravitational pull on the Earth that the Moon does. But that's irrelevant to this discussion.

What you call "blah..blah..blah" is the science. As I said before it, it is not the force of gravity which creates tides but the gravity gradient. The Sun and Moon enhance tidal effects every full moon and every new moon. An eclipse has no effect on tidal forces. There is no "greater force" during an eclipse. If you had bothered to read my post you would see that the tides that will occur directly in the path of the eclipse will not be extraordinary. There will actually be higher tides three months later.

And you really should credit your sources. You're verging on plagiarism.

The Sun is extremely massive, but it is an average of 93 million miles (150 million km) from Earth, compared with about 238,866 miles (384,400 km) from here to the Moon. And since the Moon is nearly 400 times closer to our planet, its influence on our oceans is twice as strong as the Sun's.

www.onr.navy.mil...

[edit on 7/21/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by passenger

Sure water is all over the Earth (approximately 70% of the surface). But if you read the OP’s posts, you’ll see that the problem is that this is an entirely unnatural distortion of an enormous mass of water. A tremendous amount of weight has/is being displaced. It’s the artificial shift of the mass that causes the problem. The Earth has had billions of years to ‘stabilize’ its lakes, mountains, etc. This dam changes the whole balance of the Earth in a relatively short period of time.

Not sure if anyone has already pointed this out to you but your information isn't even slightly accurate. In fact the mass of this reservoir is so fantastically small compared to the mass of the earth I'm not sure how best to write it out.

All the water on earth only makes up 0.023% of the mass of our planet.

The reservoir constitutes 0.0000001902% of the mass of the earth. I may be out a a decimal place or two, but you get the idea.

The nearest equivalent would be the weight of a small housefly versus the weight of a fully laden Boeing 747.

It's not likely to affect the balance of the earth.

Sorry to be a pedant.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me. And given the OP past history of sensationalizing and exaggerations I'm more than skeptical.

At some point, I just have to decide the person is full of it, bored and is desperately wanting death and destruction to happen(or atleast scare people as much as possible)

Jellyfish Crop Circle Predicts Solar Storm on July 7 2009 - Symbolizes Magnetosphere

Another New Crop Circle Predicts July 7th 2009 - Earth getting a Major Solar Storm

Largest Sun Spot EVER found Today 7/7/09 - 60 to 80 times size of Earth!

There were all hype, big stretches and in some cases blatantly false claims and in the end, nothing at all happened.

Others:

Dimensional Portals Opening? Vegetarians Disappearing After Hearing Voices? Are You Hearing Voices?

I'm sorry, maybe you mean well etc. But at some point you start to lose credibility when claims don't hold up, and you are shown to be "loose" with things and interpret them into how you want them be, rather than what the truth.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

It's kinda funny to me now. 90% of the time before I click on a topic, I know whether questioningall made it or not. Then, I click on the topic, read the usual stuff, roll my eyes, and have to actually tell myself "okay, read this with an open mind." Then, I get to the end, and I feel like I read nothing at all.

Okay, let's say for a second that there's a conspiracy that it was built on purpose or for a specific, destructive purpose. What if it was? I can understand if you were rallying up some people to write letters or start protests against these people, but what good is it going to do to argue about it on a message board other than to earn you flags and stars? If it's true what they are doing is bad, then nothing short of a giant mass of people living in the area will stop it. I find all this arguing about its purpose to be nothing but fluff. I wouldn't even mind the fluff if you kept it in one topic, but you keep making topic after topic, and day after day, I see a topic of yours on the front page -- all of which preaching some doomsday scenario.

I agree with badmedia. Why is it that popularity carries over on this site, but not credibility? Why do topics dealing with important issues get next to no flags, yet topics full of fluff get tens and hundreds? It's bewildering.

[edit on 7/21/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Excellent post and thank you for the energy you've put into assimilating all this info !!

I will be watching with great interest to see what transpires and while I am less than educated in the effects of this kind of man-made construction on the Earth, it all makes perfect sense to me that this is a disaster waiting to happen.

I am sure that if so many lives are in danger if the dam fails, someone somewhere might be contemplating using this as a "weapon" of mass destruction even if it doesn't fail by itself. I think this could be the one possibility that makes the Chinese even more nervous about what they've created.

Whatever the case, I sincerely hope that nothing catastrophic occurs ...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join