It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Effects of a 2012 AntiClimax?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Hi all,

i would like to start a discussion on "post 2012" from a viewpoint that nothing has happened. Not a thing. We have witnessed the date, its came and gone........and nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I have to say, that this is not to say I dont believe anything will happen. Its a hypothetical question that needs discussed.

I think the Fact that Mayans, Hopis and many individuals like David Icke, David wilcock, terence Mckenna, Greg Braden etc have all outright said something will happen around this time warrants discussion.They have all put something or other on the line regarding this date. In a way, their credibility relies on this date. If they are all wrong, then what will happen?

What are these people going to say if nothing happens?

How will we feel if their predictions dont manifest?

Would we give these people a 2nd chance... listen to their reasons?

Will we still look at their websites?

will they be banished like Blossom goodchild?

Will a new date emerge to lure people in like 2012?

Will we ever believe future predictions ever again?

Will it put people off searching for the truth?

Will it make people depressed or even commit suicide?

Will prophecy telling die after 2012?

What will it take to make us believe again?

Please try and keep to the post and discuss "THE AFTER EFFECTS OF A NON-EVENT in 2012".

Please feel free to add Names of people or tribes that I have not stated above. These were just rapid off the top of my head.

Also, please feel free to add more questions!!

G.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
My opinions for whaT their worth -

What are these people going to say if nothing happens?

possibly many excuses about changed timelines and another future date will be talked of

How will we feel if their predictions dont manifest?

I would feel very disappointed, especially if i have bought their books and believed it!!

Would we give these people a 2nd chance... listen to their reasons?

I guess i would listen to their reasons then decide how plausible they are.

Will we still look at their websites?

If their excuse warrants another chance then yes, otherwise, not a chance

will they be banished like Blossom goodchild?

Of course many will.

Im sure it will. it has done throughout history, but never on such a grand scale as 2012. so many people, so many cultures. Its Uncanny!!

Will we ever believe future predictions ever again?

It would take something pretty amazing to get us back!

Will it put people off searching for the truth?

I believe so. Many will be so disappointed, the search will be called off in their heads. Time to carry on living

Will it make people depressed or even commit suicide?

Suicide? hopefully not, but im sure some crazy stuff like this will definatley happen. Depression, certainly. After years of studying the topic, you cant honestly say you will not be a bit depressed if nothing happens?

Will prophecy telling die after 2012?

Probably not, but much less people will buy into it thats for sure!!

What will it take to make us believe again?

a major event. Maybe a landing of ET's, something on that kind of scale??

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Well, the Mayan's, the Hopi and Terence McKenna are all no longer with us, so I doubt we will hear much from them after 2012.

I think that the problem lies with the people who have taken the 2012 concept from the Mayan calendar and turned it into the worst possible scenario. McKenna never said that it would be the end of the world. He flat out said that he had no idea what would happen. So, 12/21/2012 is not some sort of cataclysmic date that something huge has to happen for McKenna to be correct. Something could be discovered on that date that would fundamentally change society but the payoff could be delayed by decades. So, I don't think that you can flat out discredit McKenna for some time.

Ultimately though, most people have turned it into some doomsday for everyone to be afraid of. When the date passes, those people will most likely find some new doomsday to latch onto. I believe we are supposed to have a doomsday type meteor come by around 2040, perhaps that will be the next 2012.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Just because one person claims something (i.e 2012 baloney) and a bunch of others parrots regurgitate it for profit, (book sales, appearance fees, movie scripts, notoriety etc) does not make it true!

Sadly though, some people think it does...

The only thing I see happening post 2012 date is a moving of the goal posts to a later date so it can be milked for more money, or just outright denial from so many people who allowed themselves to be fooled lock, stock & barrel by the most transparent of charlatans.

IRM

[edit on 20/7/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The way I see it doomsday predictions have evolved through the time from classical doomsday to modern day predictions. By this I mean each prediction evolves with new and better facts each time, this is because we come up with more and more scientific explanations for the universe which gives us unlimited scenarios for a doomsday each one more realistic then the last, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are many more doomsday predictions after 2012 with even more dust kicking up then the last. And on top of that we have evolved in the way we think. Just an example, back when our fathers were young movies like "Birds" and "Jaw" where horror, I doubt any kid watching Birds today will have nightmares at night. So every time we see something better then the last we urge to keep the story improving.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
When nothing happens, Nostradamus' 3029 end of the world scenario will be the new doomsday. I think its 3029. I forget. Anyway, theres always going to be people predicting the end because A- it's entertaining, B- it's profitable, C-they're crazy. Thats basically it. It's been done many times before and will be done again and again. It's human nature to predict the end without improving the now.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I vote for....

Originally posted by grantbeed

It can't be too far into the future because money needs to be made. Someone will figure out how to make a profit with some sort of doomsday prediction.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Assuming that the current crop of 2012 theories all pass without actual revelation, there should be no complaints. I mean, after all, we’re all still alive and the world is still spinning through space/time on our merry way to... whatever.

Anyway, if it happens that way, I assure that I won’t give a flying rat’s patootie about the fact that all the predictions ended up in the same place as those that summoned the bitter end with Y2K. Moreover, I don’t think that anyone else will feel all that bad either. In fact, the debunkers and guffaw galleries will probably declare a global holiday just to hoot it up at our expense!

Of course, there is the in between… where humanity creates its own self-fulfilling end. If the notion that the world is going to end in December of 2012 reaches such a crescendo, we may find ourselves the subject of a self-induced cataclysm merely to suit some inner, racial need to mimic the leaping lemmings.

Personally, I would like to wake on January 1, 2013 with a raging hangover under a blazingly beautiful sunrise. What you do… is entirely up to you

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If nothing happens then the wealth will continue do aggregate into the hands of the few and the Republic will fall.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
People are stupid. People in crowds are even worse. A sports team wins some big championship, and the next thing you know, there's a riot with people celebrating by overturning cars and setting fire to them.
So, it wouldn't surprise me if 2012 being a dud still causes some civil unrest.

I'm more concerned with an outbreak of public stupidity related to 2012, than any huge 2012 doomsday prophecy coming true. It would be prudent to be prepared for idiots causing trouble.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I still think we're under a huge thought shift, whether 2012 is the "magic date" doesn't matter. To me, when 2012 comes into play, is when looked back from history. People will see humanity have this huge consciousness shift in maybe 30-40 years span. When looked back in the history books, it will appear but a blip in time, and that is when the magic date 2012 will come into play.

It will appear to future civilizations that we underwent this shift so quickly, they will more than likely date it circa 2012. See what I'm saying?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

As with most end of the world prophecies, it'll go away with little comment save in forums such as this one that cater to these things...

There'll be a little giggling, a little I told you soing, then it'll go away. Thankfully...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I feel that leading up to 12/21/2012, there will be mass suicides; whether cult related or fear driven. When I say mass, I don't mean half the world's population, but maybe a 1/10,000 ratio.

I think it's very possible that nothing will happen on that particular date. "Prophets" have said "around that time", so it could easily be the day before or the week after. Think about 12/21/2012 as being the time that a sports game starts. Sometimes there's a goal right off the bat, and sometimes it takes until mid-game. Either way, I feel that the year 2012 has surprises in store for us.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Personally, i am really hoping 2012 will be just another year like any other year.

I am coming from a Nibiru perspective.

I have two young sons that mean everything to me, and i hope they get to grow up and find love and have a family of their own in time.

So, i for one, hope that it is another year 2000.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
In discussing the whole issue of 2012, one does have to keep several things in mind.

First, there are legitimate references to 2012 as well as a number of interesting correlations between certain astronomical phenomena and that time period. The Mayans, in particular, were astronomers extraordinaire so it should come as no surprise that there is that correlation.

Second, the new-agers have co-opted the whole notion of 2012 without understanding it and used it for the basis of endless hand-waving prophecies (which of course are disseminated in lucrative workshops and DVD sales). Most of what comes out of the new age movement is bunkum but very convincing bunkum because it sounds like real esoteric knowledge or scientific knowledge since the pitch men have copied just enough of the terminology of areas like quantum mechanics and Maya astronomy to make it sound "real"

Third, the various NWO fearing fundamentalist Christian types tend to glom onto anything mystical that they can bend and twist into their Book of Revelation end-of-days scenarios. This adds a doomsday aspect to the 2012 that is probably more wishful apocalyptic thinking on their part more than anything else.

I have no doubt that the ancient cultures of mankind did have well developed sciences like mathematics and astronomy and that there really is something to 2012, but I suspect that since we are not privy to their world view, whatever they are talking about will not be recognized until after the fact. And I suspect that it will be incredibly important but not very dramatic and probably nothing like those events that are being predicted.

So what about all those who cry "The end is near!" with respect to 2012? There is a wonderful book cited here:

Festinger, Leon; Henry W. Riecken, Stanley Schachter (1956).
When Prophecy Fails: A Social and Psychological Study of a Modern Group that Predicted the Destruction of the World.
University of Minnesota Press.
ISBN 1-59147-727-1.
Reissued 2008 by Pinter & Martin with a foreword by Elliot Aronson,
ISBN 978-1-905177-19-6.

Which describes what happens to a doomsday cult from a psychological and sociological perspective when doomsday fails to happen. I understand it is available on Amazon. Well worth the read.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by metamagic]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
I think the Fact that Mayans, Hopis and many individuals like David Icke, David wilcock, terence Mckenna, Greg Braden etc have all outright said something will happen around this time warrants discussion.They have all put something or other on the line regarding this date. In a way, their credibility relies on this date. If they are all wrong, then what will happen?

On a point of information, any rational minded scholar of Mayan history and culture will tell you that the Mayans predicted no such thing. So when nothing happens in 2012 it won't reflect in any way on their culture or beliefs. There are plenty of Mayan references to times after 2012. All that happens in 2012 is a page of their calendar comes to an end. Pages of my desktop calendar come to an end every month. Nothing happens then, either.

As for the rest - the usual practice in the past is for those who have sought self-publicity or money out of 2012 myths - people like Wilcock by way of example - to modify or offer a new interpretation, in which they basically say that by "2012" they actually meant "2067". Or they'll say that something did happen, but we were all too spiritually weak to notice. They will offer no evidence (or try to) to back up this bunkum. But then they haven't offered any in the past either. So presumably people will continue to follow doomsday "authorities" as hysterically as they have always done.

What we should be debating here is not the 2012 conspiracy but the conspiracy that allows such fraudsters to continue to influence people's thoughts - in some instances enough to cause depression, deep anxiety and absurd panic actions.

LW

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
What happened the last three times this sort of "millennial expectation" hype happened:

* Followers feel cheated and depressed and start to turn against these former teachers. If followers bought generators, MREs, etc, etc, they begin to feel cheated and disgusted that they spent lots of money for nothing. For awhile, you won't be able to sell the MREs and other survival supplies simply because so many others are trying to sell them.
* teachers announce that we miscalculated the date and that the REAL event is 2-3 years away. They start producing books to support this.
* the teachers announce it wasn't a real event, but a "heavenly event" and that "it's a beginning" so the changes will occur over time. Followers gradually drift away.
* teachers put up some new and exciting predictions involving Mother Shipton, Nostradamus, the Mayans, Aztecs, Hopis (not based on anything these groups REALLY said) about a New-we're-not-kidding cataclysm in 2015, 2020, 2032 (when Unix 16 bit (no longer used) expires) and for all dates that have things like 01/03/13 and 02/01/2021... and so on and so forth.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
What happened the last three times this sort of "millennial expectation" hype happened:

* Followers feel cheated and depressed and start to turn against these former teachers. If followers bought generators, MREs, etc, etc, they begin to feel cheated and disgusted that they spent lots of money for nothing. For awhile, you won't be able to sell the MREs and other survival supplies simply because so many others are trying to sell them.
* teachers announce that we miscalculated the date and that the REAL event is 2-3 years away. They start producing books to support this.
* the teachers announce it wasn't a real event, but a "heavenly event" and that "it's a beginning" so the changes will occur over time. Followers gradually drift away.
* teachers put up some new and exciting predictions involving Mother Shipton, Nostradamus, the Mayans, Aztecs, Hopis (not based on anything these groups REALLY said) about a New-we're-not-kidding cataclysm in 2015, 2020, 2032 (when Unix 16 bit (no longer used) expires) and for all dates that have things like 01/03/13 and 02/01/2021... and so on and so forth.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Exactly. (except that the Unix time issue is 2038, caused by a 32-bit integer that is still being used today but is already being phased out, and it's not that big of a deal anyway)

2012 is interesting because there are multiple independent sources saying something will happen, but that's about all there is to it. Pick any date, and you can find someone somewhere who thinks that the world will end then. People buy into this stuff because although many things about it would be horrible, there is an element of it that most of us want... A lot of people are dissatisfied with the way that things are in the world today, and an opportunity to change it is desirable. And it's not hard to see ourselves having a more useful and meaningful existence in a post-apocalyptic situation, than living the rest of our lives in the corporate rat race. In some ways, the end of the world is a lot more appealing than going in to work tomorrow.

I'm anxious for 2012 to come... It wont be the apocalypse, but maybe something interesting will happen, even if it is entirely caused by people freaking out about 2012 being a dud... It wouldn't be such a bad thing if we had to get back to basics for a bit and remember what's really important in life.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by TurboDC4]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
In my opinion, it will be great, post 2012. People will have to accept where they are in life and if they want their life to change, will realise it's up to them .. no more dramatic ending to spare them responsibility for themselves.

Although, I think the 2012 thing appeals mostly to those who don't want to take their own life upon their own shoulders.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
That would really suck if nothing happened and we just returned to our depressing, material world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join