It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bid to limit licence to good students

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

Look, you don't have to agree or go along, or even get indoctrinated. I had liberal teachers in high school, liberal teachers in college. It definitely didn't make me into a liberal.

If the only opinion you want to hear is of those that agree with you, then why are you even on this site?

Not one person, yet, has given a valid reason why too much education is a bad thing.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

The State is playing parent. What happened to parents actually raising their children?

It should be up to the parents if they want their kids to drive at 16 or not. I'm pretty sure they have to get a parents signature to get a permit.

This isn't about education, this is about the state playing mommy and daddy.

Too much education isn't a bad thing, but you can't make people learn if they don't want to learn.

link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Look, you don't have to agree or go along, or even get indoctrinated. I had liberal teachers in high school, liberal teachers in college. It definitely didn't make me into a liberal.

If the only opinion you want to hear is of those that agree with you, then why are you even on this site?

Not one person, yet, has given a valid reason why too much education is a bad thing.

Well I would have stayed in school if I wasnt forced to support myself. I wasnt going to let my girlfriend (now wife) and I be homeless just so I can stay in school!

And I love ATS and like seeing different peoples viewpoints. I dont like being preached too though, which is what my teachers did, I have always been very vocal about my beliefs and my teachers would pick on me.

I've been a very avid reader since I was young and have taught myself everything I know!

But yes nothing wrong with education, I never said there was anything wrong with it.

Peace!

[edit on 20-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

link   

Not one person, yet, has been able to effectively show that schools are the best way to educate people.

Lots of people flourish and become successful in life, without needing much more than a basic Primary School education.

Should they have been delayed getting their driver's license for wagging school?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Then they should be allowed to drive. I'm not saying school is it! If there is a valid reason for not going, then by all means. But the OP listed truancy as one of the reasons and I think that it is valid.

If I had a dime for every 16 year old that said they were too smart for school, well, I wouldn't be working. . .

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Ok, as much as I can't stand liberalism, I think this is an awesome idea. Driving is a privilage, not a right. If you don't have the discipline and stamina to STAY IN HIGH SCHOOL then why should you have the privilage of a license?

IMHO

Many drop out of high school because they have to get a job to support their families. Some do so because they are being physically assaulted and the school refuses to do anything about it.

I left high school when I was 17. I was an honor roll student. Male students would beat me up and sexually harass me. I was threatened with rape. So, now people like you think I shouldn't have a driver's license because I couldn't put up with another year of that? The school knew it was going on and blamed me for it. The teachers and principals would watch it happen and do nothing about it. One teacher even told me that it only happened to me because I liked it and that I could stop it if I wanted to. Interesting thing to me now is that they kept blaming me and saying I could stop it, but they never could say what I did to deserve it, how exactly I was asking for it, nor what I could do to stop it. The other students thought it very entertaining. One man (some were 18 or older) hit me in the back of the head with a metal pipe and the other students stood around laughing. Not a single one cared if I had been injured or not. For my last year I was in high school, I spent it in fear and did all I could to play hookey for the day. I never knew when I'd be jumped when I went to school each day and I would get assaulted in some manner at least once a day while I was there.

I'm now 33 and the only wreck I've been in was about 6 years ago when another driver had been drinking and ran a red light and hit me head-on. I have never been the cause of an accident. So, I shouldn't be allowed to drive because I couldn't take one more year of high school?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Valid point. And to the other post that stated that the state shouldn't play mommy and daddy, agreed. But apparently mommy and daddy aren't keeping their kids in school.

Look, if you're working, supporting a family that is one thing.

But if you aren't going because the teachers are stoopid then maybe you need to take another look at yourself.

Let me put it another way, driving is a responsibility.
If you are working, supporting yourself and/or others, then you are showing responsibility.

If you're hanging out trying to get beer at 10 in the morning instead of lessons, then nope. You lose. And if you are the parent that allows your kid to be out without giving a damn, then you should lose your bloody license as well.

-rant over-
-I need a drink-

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Then they should be allowed to drive. I'm not saying school is it! If there is a valid reason for not going, then by all means. But the OP listed truancy as one of the reasons and I think that it is valid.

If I had a dime for every 16 year old that said they were too smart for school, well, I wouldn't be working. . .

I can't even understand the truancy as a valid reason. Just for the fact they are going to not go to school whether they can drive or not. They probably even have friends that are 18 that can drive too. I just think this is nanny state BS is all. I don't know how permits work in Australia, but if it is anything like here in America they need a licensed driver with them sitting in the front seat.

Just my opinion of it.

I agree with your last statement though, every teenager thinks they are smarter than everybody else.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Valid point. And to the other post that stated that the state shouldn't play mommy and daddy, agreed. But apparently mommy and daddy aren't keeping their kids in school.

But if you aren't going because the teachers are stoopid then maybe you need to take another look at yourself.

If you are working, supporting yourself and/or others, then you are showing responsibility.

If you're hanging out trying to get beer at 10 in the morning instead of lessons, then nope. You lose. And if you are the parent that allows your kid to be out without giving a damn, then you should lose your bloody license as well.

-rant over-
-I need a drink-

haha this I completely agree with pretty much. If you are just ditching school to get loaded and hang out with buddies you deserve nothing!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
I don't know how permits work in Australia, but if it is anything like here in America they need a licensed driver with them sitting in the front seat.

Yes, they need a licensed driver in the front seat with them, that's if they are obeying the law on their Learner's Permit.

Still, no one needs a license to drive. After a few hours of learning the controls, the rest is mostly collision avoidance. High School behaviours should have no bearing on this.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

That is my whole deal about it, this really isn't punishing anybody, the people that obey the law are going to follow it, the people that break the law are going to break it no matter what.

If some kid wants to screw his life up then so be it. He will probably need his license to get to work, either way he wont be able to afford insurance if he doesn't have a job then we go back to the breaking the law part of it.

I'm of the mind if people want to screw up then let them screw up, of course we should try to explain to them what kind of mistake they are making and the consequences of the choice and talk them out of it, but if they still don't listen then they are on their own.

Let them learn from their mistakes and teach other people why not to make the same ones. That is how we learn, by screwing up.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

-rant over-
-I need a drink-

How is the student/former student supposed to find a job if he/she cannot drive? Not everyone has access to public transportation. Not everyone has loving parents who will take their children job hunting. And potential employers really frown on potential employees having to have mommy/daddy at a job interview.

Virginia had laws where you would lose/be denied a license if you dropped out of school while still a minor, and Virginia was a 'conservative' state at the time.

I was self-educated. The school didn't care if I learned or not. The schools basically taught me that I was worthless and deserved to be abused. I learned the other stuff that they were supposed to be teaching me on my own. I would often work ahead in the books to keep myself busy. I would finish my books way ahead of everyone else, with little effort, and would be bored. I found school to be extremely boring academically while terrifying and tramatic socially. I would not inflict school on anyone.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Einstein was a high school drop out

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

-rant over-
-I need a drink-

How is the student/former student supposed to find a job if he/she cannot drive? Not everyone has access to public transportation. Not everyone has loving parents who will take their children job hunting. And potential employers really frown on potential employees having to have mommy/daddy at a job interview.

Virginia had laws where you would lose/be denied a license if you dropped out of school while still a minor, and Virginia was a 'conservative' state at the time.

I was self-educated. The school didn't care if I learned or not. The schools basically taught me that I was worthless and deserved to be abused. I learned the other stuff that they were supposed to be teaching me on my own. I would often work ahead in the books to keep myself busy. I would finish my books way ahead of everyone else, with little effort, and would be bored. I found school to be extremely boring academically while terrifying and tramatic socially. I would not inflict school on anyone.

This is pretty much my views on this too. A lot of kids arent dumb and can learn for themselves, obviously you and I are examples of that. Plus a lot of stuff they teach in school is biased. I always have liked figuring stuff out on my own.

And I'm really sorry about what happened to you at school. Those teachers and kids sound like scum. I cannot stand people who treat women as sex objects. Women are beautiful and should be respected. People that treat women like that don't deserve to live.

Peace!

[edit on 20-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The driving age should be raised to 18 for everyone. Or maybe even higher. Just insane to let crazy teens drive. And yes, i realize they are not the only ones. It's also crazy to let 90 year old geezers drive and also people with DUI or extreme speeding convictions .

Your chance of being killed or harmed by a criminal driver is greater than the chance of being killed or harmed by all other criminals put together!!! But the idiot american can't see that.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45 But the idiot american can't see that.

Long Live the Autobahn

German autobahn NO SPEED LIMITS

WOOO HOOOOOO

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45
The driving age should be raised to 18 for everyone. Or maybe even higher. Just insane to let crazy teens drive. And yes, i realize they are not the only ones. It's also crazy to let 90 year old geezers drive and also people with DUI or extreme speeding convictions .

Your chance of being killed or harmed by a criminal driver is greater than the chance of being killed or harmed by all other criminals put together!!! But the idiot american can't see that.

Yes, lets call all americans idiots. Thats smart. I'm sure every single person in your country is genius, right? Yeah, right.

lol and funny post Zorgon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join