It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Earth Really That "Special"?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
We know about .1% of the planets in the universe? That percentage is not even close.

We can ascertain that there are around 210 sextillion planets in our galaxy alone. We only know about around 200 of them. The planets in the universe is unfathomably larger than that, as there are about 125 billion galaxies (estimate) of larger and smaller proportions.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

In general, the conditions needed to support the type of large carbon-based life found on Earth may require an inner rocky planet that is orbiting a star in its so-called "habitable zone." Such zones are bounded by the range of distances from a star for which liquid water can exist on a planetary surface, depending on such additional factors as the nature and density of its atmosphere and its surface gravity. In addition, the range of star types that can support Earth-type life on rocky planets may be limited to those lower mass stars that "live" long enough for planets to form and complex life to evolve.

well i read your link, said nothing to lend any credit to your theory. As far as my knowledge goes the gases are bound by a planets gravity. The sun undergoes nuclear reaction in its core for power ( mostly with H ). The sun does not eat up gasses from the planets, that's just absurd.

Think about it logically, if your theory was correct we would be screwed.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

it has already taken the amount of gas it can take from us. I learned about this in the science books at my school.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lycanlance
reply to post by phi1618

it has already taken the amount of gas it can take from us. I learned about this in the science books at my school.

what do you mean by "taken" do you mean that the less dense elements were heated to a temperature that allowed them to dissipate away from the planet's gravity and leave into space?

that concievably happens.. but those elements may not have even been there to begin with because they wouldn't have the proper conditions to achieve a temperature that would allow them to stay on the planet in the first place...

how does this have anything to do with earth's uniqueness ..or lack thereof ...in the way you're presenting it?

-

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

In the post i got off subject. I tend to do that alot lol. it has already heated the elements that can be removed up and they are gone. in my opinion

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by lycanlance

Of course the earth is "special".

If you want to see something thats even more special, look in the mirror or look around you at the people once in a while.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

-.- are u serious? there are many many planets out there that could possibly host life to and could have the same ingredients as earth you CANNOT DENY that. im not talking about oh its unique because there isnt another planet exactly the same as earth well thats a duh i mean its not as special as people think.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by lycanlance
reply to post by XXXN3O

-.- are u serious? there are many many planets out there that could possibly host life to and could have the same ingredients as earth you CANNOT DENY that. im not talking about oh its unique because there isnt another planet exactly the same as earth well thats a duh i mean its not as special as people think.

I know your point.

Im just saying that it doesnt hurt to focus on this place once in a while.

Look at the mess its in, theres more chance of it being fixed by the people who inhabit it instead of us all looking to other places. Just in case you think im arguing global warming etc im not, im talking about the people mostly.

I think that the people and the planet are special, I think as a species its because of our differences but as for the planet being different, even if another contains the same ingredients it is still unique in where it sits, its age, its inhabitants etc. It is special for that reason. Nothing is the same anywhere regardless so to say there is another planet the same as earth anywhere is not true.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I will start being alot more specific. I agree the earth is a one of a kind in the way that there isnt a exact copy somewhere but there could be and more than likely are planets out there almost identical to earth and could host life if the planet doesnt already. I agree this planet is in a bad place and we can get it out if we tried harder but the people looking to the other planets are paid to do so. And they are looking for ways to explore other planets and things like that. The people that are trying to help the planet and the people are doing so as we speak. The scientists and astronomers are doing all they can so we can make progress in life. and so are the other people helping.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join