It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov Paying Over a Half Million Dollars a Pound for Sliced Ham?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MrParanoid

You're aptly named...

The fear mongering is strong in you. From what I've seen of your posts, if it was up to you, we'd be living in anarchy right now...

Try to imagine what it would be like without government. Not just the bad parts, but the good parts as well. When I see people post about how bad the government is, they forget how much good it does as well. Those roads? The schools? The prices you pay for just about everything. All regulated either all or in part by the government.

I don't think you'll ever have a government that is ALL good, but I've SEEN ones where you might have ALL bad, and brother, we're not there yet. Not by a damn far sight... If you want examples of bad government, check out Sudan, Burma, or Zimbabwe.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by beaverg
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I have a question the school lunches part. Most schools are closed right now and all the ones I'm familiar with order their food through companies like sysco foods. So why is this going to schools, and what schools?
Of course that was a maybe two years ago and since then every school in the county arranged to eat the same food from the same place on the same day, so maybe that's changed since then.

It's obvious, isn't it? We're setting up to flush out all the Al Qaeda sleeper cells in summer school.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lazy1981
reply to post by projectvxn

Who says that "he" was the one that set up this contract???? Or even gave it the go ahead for that matter....

That's why government spending is so out of control. There's no "real" oversight. The beurocrats can pretty much spend what they want once the funds are released to the Federal Government and all the seagulls (Senators, Congressmen, Gov., and Mayors) come squakin for their peice of the pie no matter how absurd their pet project may be.

So it could have been any number of legislative members or commitees that set up and approved this contract.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by lazy1981]

EXACTLY!! If this ham story doesn't demonstrate how much taxpayer money is wasted on pork barrel spending, I do not know will. The swine lobby has taken over Congress, suppressing more kosher alternative domestic meats. The US is far too dependent on foreign pig meat.

I think we all remember the Swine flu and how the pork lobby immediately convinced the media to refer to it as "Tastes great with Apple Sauce" Flu. Please tell me how that is in anyway a more concise way of spreading flu awareness.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Yes. Programs such as these are a win-win situation, benefiting both giver and receiver. While school lunches and cheese-giveaways seem "altruistic", the products distributed come from "surpluses".

Oh, before these products are distributed (to schools when they open, e.g.), they are stored. .... in Warehouse 14, which is next to ... Seriously, they are stored.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Thanks I got a good hard laugh at this thread. You do realize that it is lots and lots of "2lb hams" not just 2lbs of ham. Right? People are talking like they paid that for 2 pounds of ham, it's 2 pound hams they are buying, lots and lots of them. Since when does the government just buy 2 lbs of ham at a time?

whoops, just saw the pdf, sorry for reiterating

[edit on 20-7-2009 by damwel]

I'm lulling pretty hard too man.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
What it's for:

www.ams.usda.gov... =&leftNav=CommodityPurchasing&acct=cmdtyprchs

AMS purchases a variety of food products in support of the National School Lunch program and other Federal Feeding programs. These purchases also help to stabilize prices in agricultural commodity markets by balancing supply and demand. Fresh and processed food customarily purchased under these programs include fruits and vegetable, beef and pork, poultry and egg products, and fish.

School lunches and feeding programs....

[edit on 20/7/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
LOL, just saw this story on Fox news, The OP misunderstood.

they payed $1.50 per pound for 760,000 pounds.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

C'mon, you can't think I was thinking scam and conspiracy. I was wondering more about the best ways to spend the $. No deli-meat feeding aliens from other galaxy worries here. ;o)

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
www.americanthinker.com...

Update: The USDA clarifies the misleading data on recovery.gov. "760,000 pounds of ham for $1.191m, at a cost of approximately $1.50 per pound. " Apparently deli meats qualify as a shovel-ready. Drudge notes that sliced ham is available much cheaper at Food Lion.

I shop at Food lion. No, it's not cheaper.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
More misdirection of funds. Like the movie Independence day says "You don't really think they pay $$$ for a hammer do you?"

Imagine what the Gov is paying now for malt liquor and chicken wings! :->

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikeyy

Seriously? I can't believe that a "news" agency is actually taking space on this. Can you link it or was it on TV?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReelView
More misdirection of funds. Like the movie Independence day says "You don't really think they pay $$$ for a hammer do you?"

Imagine what the Gov is paying now for malt liquor and chicken wings! :->

Imagine what you could do by reading the prior posts proving this was a bulk order with the Ham being sold at a $1.50 per pound.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join