It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Sex Have to be at ATS too?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
To make a short story shorter, I have one simple question. And I already asked it. See the thread title.

The point is, there's a billion places to go on the net if you want sex. Great.

BUT this is ATS for Pete's sakes. The last thing I want to see when I come here is to be distracted by any innuendo whatsoever to sexy pictures and the like. And yes. I am talking people's avatars. Excuse me, but I am trying use my brain here, and not...umm... I think you get the idea. And this is coming from someone who is extremely sexual in nature!

The management has been pretty lenient with avatars, even though the T&C's are pretty explicit. And that's good and all, but I guess I am just asking people to reconsider what they are using as avatars. In fact, I will go one step further with this and say that when you do use an avatar like that, it really calls into question the mentality of the member (that's ATS member, mind you) ! I can't recall any of the prolific and respected members here that have ever used sexuality overtly like that in their avatars!

And here's examples of what I am talking about:

Why the need for bare breasts covered by hair? What other purpose does that serve?

A female body, no head, with a skirt lifting up showing legs? Why? What for? Is this an intellectual statement?

And here just because it is not human, the same still applies. Someone's making a sexual statement...Why on ATS?

Yeah she's hot. So what. But the expression, the hair, the lack of anything else intriguing- I mean come on!

There are more, and many are borderline...

It is not a huge problem. Yet. But it never used to be a problem at all. People in the early days had better sense than to show up here discussing heavy duty subjects with avatars like these. Let's hope it is just simple growing pains. I would also propose that anyone with an avatar like this be restricted to posting on BTS only.

"Your avatar, while we understand your right to freedom of expression, has been flagged for unnecessary, gratuitous sexual innuendo. Therefore you will be limited to posting on BTS only. Find a less sexually suggestive avatar please if you would like to post on ATS. Thank you- The ATS Membership."

Maybe that will get the message across!

ATS: Good Rock and Roll without the sex or the drugs.

edit on 8-21-2014 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
So because someones avatar is a little on the sexual side, your saying theyre probably not all that smart or open minded and should only be allowed to post on topics that arent very intellectual?

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
i see no problem whatsoever with any of those avatars you posted, and i wouldnt entertain the thought that they mean that the poster is therefor a simpleton? because that is the tone of your post whether intended or not. trust me on this i aint no simpleton and neither is most of these people and someones avatar as absolutely nothing to do with a persons intellect, way i see it if its not breaking t&c then theres no problems

[edit on 123131p://400712 by ronishia]

[edit on 123131p://410712 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yes half torso woman and silver metal woman are really sexy.I think your making a big hulabaloo about nothing.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
What an example of a simple minded human flaw....

Why allow your brain to take offense to a set of pixels on a plastic monitor...

If there are other powers at be, such as work restrictions, children I understand - but any logical grown adult should not be remotely moved by those images...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

really, are you freeking serious? or are you genuinly the most prudish person on the interweb! get with the times, its the 90's not the 1900's!

if you somehow find those pictures perverted,erotic or sexual, then, simply put, its you with the problem, as their just pics, your the one reading the sexual aspect into them , noone else is telling you to think that way.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
So because someones avatar is a little on the sexual side, your saying theyre probably not all that smart or open minded and should only be allowed to post on topics that arent very intellectual?

No what I am saying is if they are all that smart, then why in the heck do they have to bring sex into the equation here at all? As stated in OP- there's a zillion places you can go for that. Not only that, but ATS makes an effort to keep this a family oriented site, suitable for kids as well.

In fact, yours I saw too...It is borderline imo. WE JUST DON'T NEED THE INNUENDO HERE. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
WOW! I'm very respected here and on a couple of other notable forums that have some pretty impressive people as members and not one time has anyone questioned my "intended" example of my avatar by showing that you cannot judge a book by it's cover...

I feel that ATS "digs deep" and in my way,wanted to provoke a bit yet if you read my posts,they are seldom trivial or without thought.It's the "duality" of most things that make them more interesting.

This really sets ATS back quite a few paces IMO if they "bite" on the complaints of the OP who obviously is more into what someone may "look like" than in what they have to say.
Unless they are explicit or socially offensive to the majority,I say let avatars "represent" just as ATS does!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

hahahahahahahah you have instantly won the internets top prize, that being the "un-intentional comedy moment of the week" .

no innuendo ? sorry, i never realised this was a childrens forum ?

i have seen worse on kids tv, HELL, just an hour ago their was a show on bbc2 looking back over the years of travel shows, and i clearly seen penis's, vag's and boobs, as they were showing a nudist beach ... it then went on to showing 18-30's holidays, girls with heaving cleavage... even a dude licking a breast!!!

and your trying to say, that an inanimated picture is sexual? when its just a pic, i never realised that displaying any form of female form was class as innuendo

seriously, give yourself a slap, your making your self look real stupid complaining about this .... the super un-offensive forum is that way >>

[edit on 19-7-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Lol my avatar looks sexual? Its my face.

This is ATS. Its suppose to be full of people who have open minds and dont judge others.

link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
The point is, there's a billion places to go on the net if you want sex. Great.

And here's examples of what I am talking about:

Why the need for bare breasts covered by hair? What other purpose does that serve?

This is an image from the Sara Conner Cronnicles, that's Summer Glau (sp?) she's a terminator.

A female body, no head, with a skirt lifting up showing legs? Why? What for? Is this an intellectual statement?

I believe that person commented that it was his two favorite things, his wife and tennis. I can understand not showing her face.

And here just because it is not human, the same still applies. Someone's making a sexual statement...Why on ATS?

It's a robot Marylin Munroe, I find this funny not sexual. It's a statement of where our culture is going.

link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined

No what I am saying is if they are all that smart, then why in the heck do they have to bring sex into the equation here at all? As stated in OP- there's a zillion places you can go for that. Not only that, but ATS makes an effort to keep this a family oriented site, suitable for kids as well.

In fact, yours I saw too...It is borderline imo. WE JUST DON'T NEED THE INNUENDO HERE. Thank you.

What personal reasons do you have against any sexual innuendo?

And im not argumentative, obviously you have an issue with those avatars, but specifically WHY and under what justification?

There really inst much sexual proneness in those images...

In fact i honestly dont see what offense can be taken from those images...

I doubt children have a place here on ATS, hell the subject matter would worry me as a parent more than a half cyborg half naked woman..

Embrace your bodies and live LESS constricted...this post makes me think we are taking evolutionary steps backwards...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Thanx for putting mine first !!

But do you think my avatar speaks sex ?? You naught naughty boy you!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

sorry but your the one who is interpreting these avatars as meaning their about sex etc, no one else has complained at all about them, and if one breaks the t&c im sure the mods will handle it.

An avatar is just a picture and doesnt represent the person as a whole, ats is a conspiracy site ..but that doesnt mean we are all in our moms basements with 10 monitors and wearing tin foil hats either!

[edit on 123131p://520712 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
i hate thses super fast posts.

@irishchic LOL, your asking for trouble with that pic, dont you think your showing a bit too much shoulder? LMAO (nice gloves though loolz)

and heavens forbid,, DO I SEE SKIN!?!?!?!?!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is probably off-topic to this thread, but I suspect the metal avatar has more to do with the fact that its from the Aerosmith album Just Push Play however its been cropped down to fit with the limitations on avatar sizes.

Honestly I think some people run with such avatars is directly because of the topics they discuss. If everyone's avatars were directly related to the topics at hand they would consist of blurry photos of supposed UFOs, FEMA trailers, jackboots, and various politicians and just about nothing else. Sometimes a break from the discussion helps to lighten the mood and in these trying times I can't think of a better thing than some randomness.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Krystian

long answer yes the can, short answer no ... that would require me to rise to the topic and actualy discuss it , but the way i see it, this topic is so stupid that i have left my usual non douche attitude at the door. either agree or disagree, dont try and start a flame war dude.

if it was actualy a sensible topic, i would have gave a very sensible reply, and discused in a very sensible non douche manner.

i was always told "ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer!" .. i cant say fairer than that, if i posted something as pointless i would expect the exact same treatment .

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

TA, you know I have the highest respect for you buddy but ...

Sup?

Not even really anything about your take on this, although I personally disagree, but why do it in public? Surely you could have alerted staff without putting fellow members on the spot.

Now I'm not sure I want to use my next avatar ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28d3e5668e0e.jpg[/atsimg]

Yes no?

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It may seem a little offensive, I tend to look
away and focus on the text... but that's just me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join