It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

search engine is your best friend

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Ok what is it with people not using the search engine before posting a thread. Just this morning I have seen 3 threads (make that 4 now) that have all already been started by another member. I had this happen to me as well with a thread and well the other persons thread is getting all the attention and mine is probably on page 10 by now. I even messaged that person and linked my thread and they said they didnt see it in search. Well I did a search and it came right up. Seems people are just lazy! I understand wanting to have your own thread on something but if there is one already there why not just add your own research to that existing thread?? I always use search before I post any thread! I dont want to take away from someone elses work, IMO it's not polite to do. I know some things are allowed in two boards but even then that is a little silly too. I always check the firehouse every morning and throughout the day and the amount of duplicate threads on the same thing lately are a bit annoying. Am I the only one noticing this or is it just me?
All I can say is just use the search engine! Try a few different combinations in the search first and if you still dont see your topic then post the thread. I have almost started many threads but I found them already being discussed so I just added to those and it also helps revive ones that didnt get much attention...Well this is my opinion at least.

[edit on 7/19/2009 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It also may depend on how long ago the last thread was posted, for example there are many threads on Roswell but they stretch back to 02! Also there may be one already but it may not be detailed enough and another member may choose to do a "redux". But I do know what your saying about 4 popping up within a month or two, that is totally different and from a lack of searching/search engine issues. This is my take anyways.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
search engine is your best friend, and Moderators too

When you come across a thread topic that you feel is a duplicate thread use the Alert tab at the bottom of that post. When posting an alert it is helpful if you add the link to the original thread as well.

Also checking the news fire hose or the ATS fire hose will help when looking to see if a topic or news article has been posted.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

I have heard you can duplicate every six months, is that right?

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Oh I am talking about say a video on a ufo (just an example) from say yesterday and then 3 other people post it without looking. I am not talking about stuff like Roswell which will obviously have numerous threads and ideas. Just today I have seen 4 threads that have already been started about the same article or video from days earlier. I have a weird memory and I have been noticing this a lot! I will click on it cause the title will be different and then I get to the thread and it's something I already read the day before.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

I check those daily and throughout the day it just seems others are not lately. It mostly seems to be people who have signed up in the last month. I did let someone know about duplicate posts even on my thread and it stayed. I just thought I would post this so others maybe newer members and older ones who forgot about "Search" would use it..lol

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yea, I agree those are annoying and maybe some will read this,lol. But as Sauron said, the ALERT! button or a private u2u to a mod is the best bet.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Yeah, I've accidentally duplicated someone else's thread a few times. Now I try to make sure to do a thorough search before I post something, but some things still slip through.

Like what if a person doesn't title their thread very well with appropriate keywords, so it gets missed by searches?

It's not a big deal, really. Let the mods worry about it, I say

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I have never seen it written but 3 or 4 months is what we/I generally go by. It can depend on content as well, and how active the older thread is.
Though if two or more threads are a few days or hours apart the oldest one stays.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It happens to me sometimes,happened twice the past week i think
Yeah you should just hit alert button etc to notify mods, i never bother though.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Yeah I guess I will start doing that but I dont want to be the duplicate thread Nazi..lol

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I have used that button even for my own thread that was duplicated twice and those werent deleted...however I just used it for someone who has TWO threads already posted on here. I posted a link in their threads stating it's been discussed already. Some listen and some get mean and one sent me a rude U2U..lol

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Yeah I guess I will start doing that but I dont want to be the duplicate thread Nazi..lol

With that avatar, it would seem rather quite the stretch to assume you a Nazi of any sort.

I l l u m i n a t i  perhaps, though ...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Annie Mossity

LOL nope just an 80's fan
I went to an 80's party a couple months ago and that was my outfit.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Holy crap! I read your post then went about my business surfing ATS. I HAD to come back and post a reply here because you are absolutely correct! It's pretty ridiculous. Some people are posting duplicates to stories that appeared on the front page of ATS just days ago.

I always get bummed out because everytime I think I've found a good topic to post about, I do a search and 98% of the time someone has already beat me to it.

I will say that sometimes it is hard to find in a search because the title may be completely different than it should be. there's been a couple times I didn't post a thread because, even though I couldn't find it according to the words I put in the search, I was sure that SOMEBODY had to have beaten me to it but maybe just used a variation in the title. Then, lo and behold I find it on the front page only to see that it was initially posted AFTER I was going to post it *sigh*. I'm too worried about being one of THOSE people.

But the one's I'm seeing are pretty blatant. I'm thinking some people don't give a crap and want to see if there thread gets more attention. Why they are still open, I don't know.

I got pretty annoyed one time that a thread I had posted was identical to another's and was posted before the other members but mine went completely ignored even though I pointed out that I had already started a thread. I think it was because this member was more popular and I was dismayed that the mods let the thread stay open. I didn't think to use the alert button though. I assumed the mods would take notice and close it down. I didn't want to be a duplicate thread nazi either!

[edit on 19-7-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

See that is what I was talking about. The duplicates are of ones just posted within a week usually and on the main page..lol I had one of mine over taken by two others and mine got ignored and even moved to BTS while the others are in current events on the ATS side...grrrr

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
yea i have noticed a growing trend in this aswell, especially with some recent posts i done only to find a few days later very similar threads or topics, makes me
sometimes lol, i have maybe done this a few times unintentionally and had someone say i made one here... and post link so i go to theirs to carry on the discussion.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
So I am going to bump my own thread...

If I see that thread about the leader of Japans wife claiming alien abduction again I will scream....lol
Why dont people search first? Its not that hard! It will save you a lot of time and the mods as well. Many times a thread is already started and many have great information. I know multiples are allowed at certain times but if you want to post something check first esp if its a new article chances are its already out there.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Im gonna boost my own thread so I dont have to make another....

WHY dont people use the search function?!!!
I have seen 4 threads already in the firehouse that have already been posted and if you look at the firehouse or even most recently discussed threads you would SEE these! It only takes a sec, less than you posting your thread that will more than likely be closed and directed to the original. I'm sorry but this drives me nuts and just shows you arent reading the site! Well thats how I see it....No offense but most these threads are coming from members who signed up in the last month. So guys/gals please use the search feature
Its really there to be be your ATS friend too

Try these too
ATS T&C

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I know there are a lot of computer savvy people members of ATS, not to mention the owners of the website ..... a question.

How difficult would it be to program an automatic flag if a match is made when entering a title to a thread ?

Some kind of This title is already in use notice.

Would such a function consume to much space/memory ......... i.e a lot of interweb tubes

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join