It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can non-living things have minds?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

There are many things in this World we cannot see and the sub-concious is one of them so i see where you go with this.... you can use the sub-concious but you cannot see it.....

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Hi!

I guess i'm asking what you lot think of non-living things like computers having a mind? (When i say non-living i mean things which do not need to eat to stay alive! Innanimate.... that's the word i was looking for.... thanks Moderator!)

I ask this because for the first time today i actually sat through 2001:A Space Odyssey and HAL got me thinking about the Mind because it's not actually a visible thing so maybe computers can have minds too or even a rock....

What ya think?

This probably sounds silly but Buddhists believe all things can have a mind because it is just a word.... something we call it as it holds our thoughts.... and that when we die our Minds can drift off into some other living or non-living thing....

[edit on 19-7-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

Good thread. I always like to read some threads that make you think rather than dictate, its a rarity these days it seems.

When it comes to computers or AI if you like I have always wondered.

If something is constantly making its own calculations from a set of programmed laws and calculating them precisely with random bits of data left over from the code or after the code has been used. It is highly unlikely but possible that over time those codes eventually make sense to the machine and with each mistake carried out comes more and more calculations from the original mistake. Resulting in an AI that is not working within its original programming if that makes sense. Ghost in the machine.
Other people might just say windows
jk

Is that self awareness or just a mistake? Thats the question I guess.

Human have electrical currents that run through their bodies, the brain creates, decodes and carries out those messages of information. The organs we have allow us to experience the world around us which in turn allows us to learn.

As for things such as televisions, radios or toasters. They are not self aware because they have no intelligence. As for electricity, if that is life then everything is alive in a sense but at different levels of awareness.

Bet you Tesla could share a few thoughts if he were still here.

Good thread.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Hey there.

The power of the computer has yet to be fully revealed.
The human mind in the future will possibly be defenceless against the might of the machine.
Sounds a bit "terminator" I know !! But the time is coming when man will download his thoughts and mind into a computer , man and machine at this time will become one.
The singularity will become our reality.
Our lives and thoughts will be lived in a illusionary world of cyberspace.
Maybe our body will become obsolete and we will continue to function purely on a mind basis.
Bit trippy I guess ??

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Thanks for your input! I'm not sure if i have to respond to every poster but i like what you say..... I have other comments on the first page!

But yes Electricity gives life to many things.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join