It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother's Friend Has Swine Flu, How Long Could my Mum be a Carrier?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
My mother's friend Caroline has it, she caught it from her daughter . The daughter does not have it but there have been some cases of it in the daughter's school in Cardiff.
My mother's friend came down with it 4 days after seeing her daughter.
My mum saw her friend Caroline 4 days ago...my mum has no symptoms but she was in contact with me, my son, my brother and others yesterday plus I saw her a couple of days ago too.

Does anyone know
(a) If I should avoid my mother now and if so, for how long...or is it pointless avoding her as I've already been in contact with her ....even if my mum does not get it I presume she can be a carrier and pass it on to others possibly ?

(b) Should everyone who has been in contact with my mum stay indoors now and if so for how long and should my mum isolate herself for a bit too....?

Thanks

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I asked the same question only yesterday, and the reply I got was up to 17 days. I am now into my third day and all is well. Hope the same applies for your mom.
Peace

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Well I'm no medical expert but most of what I've read points to the contagious period being up to 7 days after symptoms show up. This is a highly variable number because some people fight the virus better than others so it could be longer or shorter depending on the person's health.
Swine Flu Incubation Period---Associated Content

As for how long it takes to develop symptoms, most sites I've seen with a quick google search say up to a week.

This is a post from one of those "One user asked, another posts links to answer" sites that had about the same line of questioning:
What is the swine flue incubation Period?

I'd say just to be safe stay away from her for a few more days and see if she develops symptoms. If she doesn't you don't have much to worry about hopefully. Also I'd have everyone in the family start dietifically speaking working like they had the flu (plenty of liquids, plenty of vitamins, so on). Basically just like the seasonal flu, swine flu is a waiting game.

Good luck and I hope your family stays well.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
my parents returned from holiday on the 18th 0f june and its only last week everyone in the house started feeling ill. they reckon they picked it up when they were away as a few people were complaining of flu like symptoms. thats about 4 weeks!!!

now since last week everyone in the house is ill, my wee sister got tested on friday due to health problems and the doc says its swine flu! lol

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
From what i've heard lately, the incubation and infectious periods differ from person to person.

Incubation anywhere from 1 day to 5 days
Infectious anywhere up to 3 weeks.

UK P.M. Gordon Brown has a collegue who got it, and even after 2 weeks had passed, he was not allowed to mix 'just in case', for at least another week. So 3 weeks total.

new topics

top topics

join