It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Man Captures "UFO" on Video

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
A local news station broadcast this footage a few days ago. I learned of it through a relative and tracked down the video. The news station consulted experts (in weather and electrical phenomenon) to ask their opinions. While there is no definitive explanation given, the video is intriguing, to say the least.

Whether or not the phenomenon in the video is of terrestrial or extraterrestrial origin, I thought it should be put up on ATS for all to review and perhaps get more input from some of our resident experts and, of course, skeptics.

Enjoy. I look forward to hearing some of your opinions.

Here's a link to the story.

Here's a link to the video.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by tyranny22]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

I've seen video of "ball lightning" and this doesn't appear to resemble any footage that I've reviewed, though the weather expert says that whatever is captured in the video is "atypical" of ball lightning.

The electrical expert discusses the possibility of lightning strikes causing such phenomenon, but seems leery to give a definitive answer after reviewing the final occurrence.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by tyranny22]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

Wow, that's some crazy footage! I would love to see and video something like that. I have no clue what it could be but will be watching this thread. S&F!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Good find .
very interesting to say the least, the guy who captured the event on camera is sure he has filmed something that is not a natural occurrence.

Star and flag ..

Thanks

Ocker

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Interesting. And fairly local to me too. But it could be anything. And not enough for me to jump to the conclusion that it's alien craft.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I think they provided good explanations to what it could be. I have seen bolts of lighting cross through power lines, just as it was mentioned on the video (however, what I saw was not as strong as to what that man captured with his video cam).

My guess is that it really was just energy traveling through the power line.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The lineman is definite. He says he has seen the same sort of flashes traveling along power lines.

He says he hasn't seen anything like the light zipping off to the left. It looks like camera motion to me. It's hard to tell though because we're not actually seeing the video, we're seeing the video shown on a notebook LCD.

[edit on 7/18/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
if it is some sort of flash over from a lightning strike wouldn't it have caused some sort of damage to the line, or a short circuit?
their weather forecast from that weekend didn't indicate any chances of lighting storms...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Look like some type of an orb...maybe a ghost( if they exist). Paranormal researchers say they take energy from thier surroundings so an area full of power lines would be great for them. I most definitly do not believe it to be alien craft.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Clearly this is not ball lightning. Anyone who studies physics or understands the nature of ball lightning knows that.

This appears to be more like some other phenomenon worthy of future investigation. However since nothing can come of it then its just lights in the sky. Hard evidence is needed to cement any claims not more video of blurs and vague irregularities in the sky.

If ufos were real someones cctv system at a walmart would have spotted them by now and the tape smuggled and sold for tons of money to some euro tabloid since people there thrive on trash gossip due to their intrinsically low IQ's.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Didn't look like camera movement to me, because you can see the trees in the background haze, and they aren't moving when the light zips away.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Where is the guy who posts to every thread on ATS UFO forums that it's a plasma discharge when clearly it isn't, but the one thread where it actually could be a plasma discharge (this one) he doesn't post? How's that irony for ya?

You want to know a fact that's stranger than fiction? Most of the power in a power line doesn't flow through the wire, it flows in an electromagnetic field surrounding the wire. As a result, under the right conditions the power line can turn the air into plasma, a glowing form of ionized air (I can see the picture but not the video, until someone posts it on youtube or something). They call that Corona Discharge

Corona discharge is generally undesirable in: * Electric power transmission, where it causes:
o Power loss
o Audible noise
o Electromagnetic interference
o Purple glow
o Ozone production
o Insulation damage

So based on the statement from the article in the OP:

One thing we noticed when we went to the area was all the power lines. We asked retired lineman David Carrico if he had ever seen anything like this. Pointing out one of the lights, he said, "That right there I have seen. I've seen lightning hit a pole and follow. We were working on a pole down just one span down and saw that exact thing. Lightning had hit down here, and a ball of fire just followed the line down through."

I'd say we are probably dealing with a phenomena similar to corona discharge. You can get the purple glow around a power line even without the lighting strike but with the extra energy from the lightning, I have no doubt that the linesman has seen exactly what he said he has seen, it's a known effect. I look forward to seeing the video though.

Another form of such plasma from a coronal discharge is referred to as St Elmo's Fire

Saint Elmo's fire and normal sparks both can appear when high electrical voltage affects a gas. St. Elmo's fire is seen during thunderstorms when the ground below the storm is electrically charged, and there is high voltage in the air between the cloud and the ground. The voltage tears apart the air molecules and the gas begins to glow.

So it could start out following the power line and break off from it as St Elmo's fire.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It does look like there is a meteor breaking up in the Atmosphere.
But the green ball of light is strange, the colours are also pretty bright. I would like to see the orignal footage to get a better opinion of it.
Good find.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Sparklers.

2nd line

Mod Edit - Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

yeah, looks like your average plasma discharge...from a warp drive ufo

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

You're looking for the famous TeslaLynne!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject

yeah, looks like your average plasma discharge...from a warp drive ufo

I wouldn't rule out a warp drive ufo as the source of the plasma, but if there's a bunch of power lines in the area I wouldn't rule those out either, or St. Elmo's Fire. I guess we'll have a better idea if we get to see a better quality video.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
wow, nice vid. thanks for sharing it.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sam60

You're looking for the famous TeslaLynne!
Close! I think there's an "and" in there somewhere.

I hope he posts here, because just once, it would be nice to be able to agree with him about plasma!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
To me, it looks like the transfomers landing on earth

come on, ya know it looks similar to the last 2 movies with them crashing

not saying, its not a ufo of course

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join