It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morris County's UFO hoaxers are back, with a $1 million challenge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Morris County's UFO hoaxers are back, with a $1 million challenge

www.nj.com

You just can't keep a good hoaxer down. Joe Rudy and Chris Russo, the guys who got busted for a Morristown-area UFO hoax over the winter, are promoting James Randi's longstanding $1 million offer to anyone who can prove anything paranormal or supernatural.

You can contact these gentlemen at: jamesrandichallenge@gmail.com. Or you can ask them personally. They are addressing the New York City Skeptics today at the New York Public Library. Their talk starts at 1 pm. Admission is free.

"We're both neutral. We're just asking people to prove it," said Chris, a 29-year-old pharmaceutical
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This is rather interesting.

Any ATS'ers willing to take of the challenge that these two are offering?

The article goes on to say

"People want something extraterrestrial or supernatural to believe in," added Joe, 28, a musician and former science teacher. "Sometimes the truth isn't as fun."

I dunno... I think truth is always fun.

www.nj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I contacted the Amazing Randi Foundation and asked to be tested from my current location. I waived any prize money.

I asked them to set up a remote number generator and I would try to affect the numbers generated. They refused, but did refer me to a local skeptic society who might test me. So I guess that was fair.

Fair, but for the effort and for no pay, I wanted to go up against some of the "big boys". Because to be the man, you have to beat the man.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I guess I should have been a sport and let the local yokels test me. But pride is a sin, I guess. At the time, as I remember I felt that I deserved more respect and attention and even a short drive up to Albq. or Santa Fe was too much of a bother.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by son of total newbie

I contacted the Amazing Randi Foundation and asked to be tested from my current location. I waived any prize money.

I asked them to set up a remote number generator and I would try to affect the numbers generated. They refused, but did refer me to a local skeptic society who might test me. So I guess that was fair.

Fair, but for the effort and for no pay, I wanted to go up against some of the "big boys". Because to be the man, you have to beat the man.

They have too many people with no abilities trying to waste their time. That's why

applicants must first pass a 'preliminary test', before they are allowed to progress to the actual 'formal' test which pays the million dollars. So an applicant must first show positive results in a preliminary test (yielding results against chance of at least 1000 to 1, apparently), then once through to the next stage they would then have to show positive results against much higher odds to claim the prize

You're right, they were after the real "big boys" like medium John Edward, spoon-bender Uri Geller, psychic Sylvia Browne etc but none of them applied.

And now, perhaps as a result of that fact, James Randi has announced that the Challenge will come to an end ....(snip).... on March 6th, 2010.

So, whoever is going to win the money better hurry up
External source:
The myth of the million dollar challenge

[edit on 18-7-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It's the foundation's money, they make the rules. And anyone with such supposed "clever skills" could just sell their services to themselves. I do.

One of the names you mentioned knows a little about me, current location at least.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by son of total newbie

you definitely shouldve gone after the local guys. wouldve been at least fun. and im sure if you managed something significant (or even just because you were being tested) you wouldve make local papers and things like that.

and besides, if you had managed to pass you would most likely wouldve been given an opportunity to be tested by the JRF themselves.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Think about it this way guys, lets say they had a million people sign up to try to influence a random number generator. And lets say they made the odds so stringent that making such a change in the random numbers by pure chance was 1 in a million. Well almost by definition if the odds are one in a million, and they test a million people, they could end up giving the million dollars to someone with no skills at all. So I think that's part of the reason for the preliminaries too, it cuts down on the chances of that happening.

But yes, if you have skills, why not try it? Even go for the money, that would make it worth the drive if you win!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
honestly the only reason i can see a person who claims to have any powers whatsoever wouldnt do it is because they know they will fail. One can say without a shadow of a doubt, most people who claim to have powers most likely dont.

if i had powers i wouldnt hesitate to try and secure my (hypothetical) children's college education AND prove im amazing and special all at once.
i cant think of a good reason someone with powers wouldnt do it.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
There sort of people will ALWAYS claim there is no proof, nomatter what.

The Randi corporation is nothing more than a front for people who are close minded, and won't accept anything as proof.

Are our own astronauts who have spoken about seen UFOs lying?...

Are our military personnel, many of whom are trained to differentiate between the different man-made aircraft, such as I was, also lying?...

There is ample of proof, some people just won't accept anything at all as proof, and these people will ALWAYS claim every piece of evidence is a hoax.

That's the only reason why Randi, and the Randi corporation still has their supposed $1 million dollars....

Randi and his associates are nothing more than charlatans, playing a charlatan's game.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
sure...i bet thats the only reason...

i mean...its not like you cant go to their site and read the requirements of each test and its not like those requirements are agreed upon by the person with the alleged powers and the JRF.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Seems like a double edged sword to me. If you can prove paranormal using science then it is no longer paranormal it is fact.

I just don't think it's possible to win the money even if you could prove something.

At the same time they have to say it's proof then you get the money. All they have to do is say no you didn't prove it and your out of luck.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
it wouldnt take it out of the realm of paranormal.

its not trying to explain it with science, its just using scientific methods of proving it really happens.

and both the tester and testee agree to the challenge. its a long and tiresome process where every aspect of it is written out.

the testee must do whatever it is they agree upon in the challenge to a point where the chance of it happening by luck are next to nil.

and if they succeed beyond the likelihood you succeed on luck alone they pay. im pretty sure its contractually binding.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
James Randi's test is utter non sense because of the fact that in recent years he has changed the test to only accept challengers who are "in the spotlight."

That basically means he is only targeting said "professionals" like Chris Angel or TV Psychics.

The people that can use said "magik" powers are already members of the most elite part of society (top ranking Illuminati) and leading Tibetan monks who have no interest what so ever of proving their abilities or receiving a million dollars.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by OpenYourEyez]

new topics

top topics

join