It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why are there so many gods ???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I believe in a god! but what i cannot understand is where the all the different ideas about God came from . And when did all the diverse beliefs begin.

I realize most of christian religions came into being with the god of the old testament ,and Jesus Christ as his messiah,but what of all the other gods...Is Allah the same person as Jehovah of the Hebrew scriptures,or someone else.

And what about the new age god who is he ,or don't they believe in a god??

I am really perplexed............. Any ideas

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

Well, each culture tended to have their own mythos.
The most popular being the Norse, Grecian/Roman, Egyptian pantheons.

if you look at the legends surrounding them, going back through history of recording, you can see how they've shifted, and changed.
Much like in modern mythos, the characters change over time, or legends grow up to surround and idolize or demonize famous people or characters.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

thanks for your answer.

I had realized that a lot of religions are based on myth, but where for instance did (lets say) the ancient Egyptians get there beliefs from,and why don't we still believe in the gods of roman times

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

Well, most gods started out as tribal beings. Athena can be traced back to a early snake goddess, I believe. A bit different than her later interpretations.
One tribe fights another tribe, and wins. Their god or gods supplants or is added into the existing mythology of that tribe, and the larger tribe fights another larger tribe and so on.
Storytellers create grand tales of clashing of gods, the creation of the world, how the world works, and why.
The gods and goddess evolve, take on new forms or new definitions as time passes. They are forgotten, re imagined, or changed. The Church had a habit of changing old gods into heroes, kings, saints, and demons.

As for how they came about... some gods may have been based of of real people, who performed amazing feats that became legend, then myth. Promoting them eventually to god hood.
Others may have bee started as a simple offering to a diety, or were born from the tongue of a storyteller.
I like Anansi, from Africa, 'cause he's the best example of gods from storytelling. His stories are still told today, though they have changed a little bit. In a sense, he is still worshiped as long as his stories are told.

As for why they are no logner worshiped... well. Gods come and go.
They may change over time, and survive a while, but eventually, they are all forgotten.
Heck, y'think Christ was always called Christ, and was always a white man with brown hair? Thank the Romans for that.

There are still cults that worship the old gods. I know of a Dionysis sect here in Florida. There are still worshipers of Thor, Zeus, Athena, ect. Apollo is still a name that is common in America.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

I think you are probably right and that is how gods and goddesses began,but i was thinking more on the lines of Allah Jehovah excreta.

Wonder if 2012 will start a new era and a new god?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by illece

I believe in a god! but what i cannot understand is where the all the different ideas about God came from . And when did all the diverse beliefs begin.

I realize most of christian religions came into being with the god of the old testament ,and Jesus Christ as his messiah,but what of all the other gods...Is Allah the same person as Jehovah of the Hebrew scriptures,or someone else.

And what about the new age god who is he ,or don't they believe in a god??

I am really perplexed............. Any ideas

Why are there so many gods? Because there are and have been so many humans.

Peace,
Daniel

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by illece

Well I believe and follow Isis (ancient Egypt) and many others do believe in Roman Gods (if you can find them)

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Personally, I think there is only 1 God, just many interpretations of it.

Yeah, I believe that Allah/YHWH is the same thing. I also believe it is the same thing as Brahma, Omkara, Ahura Mazda, heck, even Zeus perhaps , or at least it was originally. The concept may change over time.

The concept of God may vary according to culture too, but they all may be right.

For (a hypothetical) example, a culture that lives in a hot dry desert-like area may consider one of the attributes of God as "The Giver of water".
Then there'd be another culture that lives in a cold, snowy, icy place, that would consider one of the attributes of God as "The Giver of warmth".

Both these attributes would be correct.

Once again, it is my belief that in pantheistic systems, it usually started out with 1 top guy, and then all the little helpers were added, and then they were later assimilated into the God-hood to become demi-gods or part-gods. For example (oh please don't hurt me for this!
) first there was just I AM THAT I AM, which then got mixed up into some ancient semitic tribal pantheon, which then won out to the top, then Jesus came along, then he was assimilated into the god-head, and perhaps, if we wait a couple hundred years, we might get some weird sect that considers the angels to be gods as well.

Either that, or there were several tribes with their own concept of God, and then they met together, assimilated, and created a hierarchy, or occasionally, (like the Romans) made the god an "equivalent" of theirs (like Zeus vs Jupiter), with just a different name.

PS: KyoZero, I noticed that I had you down as my "respected foe" (a weird concept if there is one), and I certainly don't remember doing that. I tried removing you from that, but the only way possible seemed to be by adding you to my "Sharp Friends" list. While I don't mind being that, it seems odd since I barely know you. So...any idea how to fix this?

[edit on 23-8-2009 by babloyi]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

why are there so many gods ???

Diverse beliefs would come from diverse people, no? The fact of the matter is there is but one God. Different peoples have different names and different stories but it doesn't change the truth.....there is one God.

Call Him what you want and create whatever stories you want. It doesn't change who He is.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Jesus, in John 12:31, says, "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out."
So there is some sort of powerful entity loose in the world and apparently others, who he would be the prince over. We have old stories about conflicts for supremacy among the "gods" and thy could have as their origin, the same basis as what seems to come through the Bible.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

The gods personified many things, but even the ancient religions and beliefs all had one divine power of creation. They had many different names for this creation, including the Great Spirit. The "lesser" gods and goddesses also appeared and can be equated with the Christian concept of angels (immortal beings lesser than the Creator of All Things).

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

Why are there so many gods?

Because who or what God is depends on our level of awareness. God could be conceived as either your own immortal Soul or that great Entity that ensouls our planet Earth, which the Bible refers to as the Ancient of Days, Who is our Father in Heaven.

However even in heaven has a heaven, or many mansions as Jesus said, and so we see our Earth as subservient to an even greater power, the One God who is the source of all life and ensouls our Solar System.

And so it goes, our Sun is subject to a Galactic God, or as Theosophy calls this God "That Whom Naught May Be Said". And science continues to say that our Galaxy itself is part of a Cluster or Galaxies, which in turn in part of great Cluster of Galactic Clusters.

And so on until we reach the ultimate BRAHMA, the ONE who ENSOULS all manifested life in the Universe, which the Hindu theory says will exist 311 trillion human years! Science currently pegs the Universe to be about 10 to 15 billions years old, so if the Hindus are correct then the Big Bang will continue on for a long time yet.

Oh, and if this doesn't make you feel small enough, the Hindus also say that this One Life of BRAMHA is only one incarnation of millions and millions of incarnations.

God is matter of perspective, a relative term depending on our point of view and our level of awareness.

[edit on 2-9-2009 by Neo__]

new topics

top topics

join