It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Discrimination The Main Cause of African-American,s Problems?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Many people do use the race card and I see it in this very discussion, im being told that its because I am white that I have advantages, it has in no way been that because I chose to do something that I have my options.

it is this very reason that I will not buy into the thought of being responsible for someone else actions. I refuse to be held accountable for someone else mistakes. I refuse to inherit a debt in which I did not create.

So, when someone is being discriminated against, that is in no way what caused ones problem. That is like saying because some guy punched me in the face I was unable to pay my bills. When the man who punched me in the face had absolutely nothing to do with me not being able to pay my bills, and this is why I remain firm that it comes down to individual accountability.

Just as you said your cousin tried to blame him being fired on some sort of hate that this white man had towards him, when in fact its because he was late multiple times.

you, me, him, her, are all in control of our paths, it is the choices that one chooses to make that will determine where that path leads.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by I think Im normal]

[edit on 23-7-2009 by I think Im normal]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
reply to post by DaisyAnne

Basically! I knew there was someone else out their that knew it comes down to cake. With money you have options, you can do what you want. With no money you have no options..you take what you can get.

Nice answer sweetie!

Thank you!
And I will definitely read the books that you recommended

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Is Discrimination The Main Cause of African-American,s Problems?

No. It's actually their PERCEPTION of discrimination. They've created a self imposed discriminatory life for themselves. They've even created an imaginary enemy known as, "the man", so they have someone to blame; so they don't have to get a job; so they don't have to go to school; so they have an excuse to steal, etc....

I live in Michigan and Detroit is just a mess. There is over a 25% unemployment rate in Detroit !
Who do we blame for such a high rate? Well to some extent we can blame the people who caused the recession but even during boom times, Detroit has had higher then normal numbers of unemployment so now we have to ask who is really to blame? In my opinion it's those American-African individuals who allow themselves to believe that the imaginary "man" is holding them down when in reality they are holding them down.

SPECIAL NOTE: For anyone who is going to call me a racist.

1.I am NOT saying all American-African individuals are stuck in this situation OBVIOUSLY since Obama is president.

2. Also, if you'll notice I use the term American-African. It's just a pet peave of mine. If you're an African citizen but living in American, feel free to call yourself African-American but if you're an American citizen, I will call you American FIRST and black second. To bad if you don't like it.

3. I know what I'm saying is not politically correct but someone has to say it regardless of whether or not people like it. Sometimes the truth hurts.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I cosign the book Yurugu: An African-Centered Critique of European Cultural Thought . This helped me understand europeans, to the point I cant get mad at their actions and ignorance when discussing topic such as this

[edit on 27-7-2009 by magnetik]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I don't think this is the case. Yes there is a largely discriminatory population in the USA, however I beleive that where you have to start with is right between your ears, You can either let those things play into your conciousness and plague any attempt you may make at bettering yourself, but it is your mind, your thoughts and your actions that will either help you progress, or knock you down and chain you. That's the first place you start within yourself, then you progress it outwards to within the family, then you progress it out towards your community, then further...etc. etc... that's the only way to change your circumstances and to reflect it into the world around you. There are many people who were bullied who were made fun of and tormented daily in school, who have not heard those words deep within themselves and let it roll off their backs and have gotten further in life, the same goes for racism. It may hurt you, but if you let it fester and fester...you can never truly progress. You can always look at it the old way "sticks and stones may break your bones, but names will never hurt you" This means actions also, if someone discriminates from hiring you... go to the competition and if they hire you, be their top executive raking in millions of dollars for that competition and then let them know it's you that helped their competition beat them, the best revenge is living well... so many never truly understand this concept.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by ldyserenity]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join