It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Discrimination The Main Cause of African-American,s Problems?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I agree with you that we are all Americans and this big crap storm on the horizon is going to affect us all. Instead of focusing on our prejudices and differences we should focus on unity and understanding. Personally this divisiveness is only a control mechanism for those that wish to control and stifle human progress in this country and the world as a whole.Turn us inside out and we are all the same. We put our pants on one leg at a time, need food and water to survive, and last but not least die at some point in our lives.

However, this argument is based on the perils of one particular strata of American society, and personally I believe the destruction begins in the four walls of the home and in the family. If one has support structure, callousness and disdain for society festers as a result. This is applicable to any particular strata in American society as well.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
m my opinion Bill Cosby was 100% correct. it's time they did start holding themselves to higher standards. ask 100 black kids in grade school what they want to be when they grow up I bet 90% will say a ball player. but how come they don't teach these kids that less than 1% of kids that persue sports for a career actual become employed professionally. so what happens to the other 99% who tried to become NBA players and failed. they go back to their communities with no life or job skills other than throwing a ball towards a hoop. Their culture glorifies the wrong things. They need to aspire higher. period and they as a whole aren't really trying to at all. they are just procrastinating doing something neccessary because it's easier in the short term to make excuses than to man up and do something.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

I hate this type of excuse. Gimme an f'in break! Black people can trace their roots back to Africa. Africa is a beautiful planet filled with AMAZING culture.

Yeah - great culture but no accomplishments. Most blacks are still living in mud huts and those that live in a modern fashion can thank american and european companies for giving them modern conveniences. Very few black engineers in this world. Blacks just don't have the brains for technology.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
m my opinion Bill Cosby was 100% correct. it's time they did start holding themselves to higher standards. ask 100 black kids in grade school what they want to be when they grow up I bet 90% will say a ball player. but how come they don't teach these kids that less than 1% of kids that persue sports for a career actual become employed professionally.

Yup and those that do make it to the pro level have a career that only lasts 15 years and then what do they do? It makes more sense to become say an engineer. Even a mediocre engineer can make $100,000 a year and do that for the rest of his life.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
[
Instead of focusing on our prejudices and differences we should focus on unity and understanding. Personally this divisiveness is only a control mechanism for those that wish to control and stifle human progress in this country and the world as a whole.Turn us inside out and we are all the same.

You must work for the NWO. They want to institute a global govt and they know the public will accept it more readily if they are convinced that everybody is the same.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Nowhere are black people treated as well or have more opportunity than in America. They should after all they helped build this country. It's as much theirs as anyone elses.

No - blacks did NOT help build the country. Very few blacks are engineers or architects or physicists or chemists. Blacks go into entertainment or athletics or crime.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I really am getting a chuckle out of all your white folks telling black people to shut up because you think things are fine.

Of course you think everyone should "ignore race" now that your ancestors have bequeathed to you generations worth of advantage gained at the expense of other peoples. Of course you think everyone's on equal footing, because all the white people you know who you base this outlook on are in fact, more or less equal. Of course you can't imagine black contributions or difficulties, you're not black. And as for that "everyone's been slaves"

The slavery of African Americans was to the global institution of slavery, what a Tyson chicken factory is to a neighbor I had in oregon who kept a few hins. it was an industrial-level exploitation that pictured the slaves not as low-status humans as was the case in most slave societies, or even as a variety of animal, was was often the case in other European-based slave states. American slaves were seen as machines. Beneath empathic consideration.

I'm sure some of my ancestors were slaves back in hte day before the arrival of the diseased horde. I'm also certain these slaves would have had it amazingly better than the African slaves... And knew it, which is why attempts to enslave Indians went so poorly.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
I really am getting a chuckle out of all your white folks telling black people to shut up because you think things are fine.

Of course you think everyone should "ignore race" now that your ancestors have bequeathed to you generations worth of advantage gained at the expense of other peoples. Of course you think everyone's on equal footing,

Equal footing?? Like hell. Ever hear of affirmative action?. We have a govt that MANDATES discrimination against white people. And still white ppl are on top.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Whats not fine? give an example of how something is not fine please. How has slavery some 300 odd years ago affected you personally?

Of course you think everyone should "ignore race" now that your ancestors have bequeathed to you generations worth of advantage gained at the expense of other peoples.

My ancestors bequeathed me what exactly? My family did not come to this country until much later. So does this mean since my family lives in America now we automatically get stereotyped into ownership of colonial Americas past just because we are of white skin color? Is that not in itself racism at its finest? You seem to think all white people had something to do with slavery in America. One thing I know it is affecting, is the fact that I have to listen to someone wine about something they truly had nothing to do with. Just because you may be black does not mean you have a clue what it was like to be a black slave. I got the same history lesson you did in school, know why they call it history? because it was his story, not yours.

I come from a very poor family who works to pay their bills and put food on the table, You know how many jobs I have been turned down from? Did I scream discrimination? how could I right? I'm not black so I wouldn't know about discrimination, nope I don't know anything about affirmative action or reverse racism. nope possibly couldn't know about that.

The only reason I have anything at all is because I showed some sort of initiative and joined the military when all other jobs were turning me down. I could have turned to petty things like crime, but that's the easy way out. I could ask for handouts, that's the easy way out. I did my time in the military and learned a trade and now I am back in college learning a second trade. Hence I got up off my butt and got my own. TWICE. I did not complain that I was being held back because some companies would not hire me.

So tell me what advantages do I as a white man have that you as a black man do not?

You can say you don't know what its like to be a black man, I can say you have no clue what its like to be a white man, you know what? It doesn't matter.

I'm sure some of my ancestors were slaves back in hte day before the arrival of the diseased horde. I'm also certain these slaves would have had it amazingly better than the African slaves... And knew it, which is why attempts to enslave Indians went so poorly.

Your sure or you know for a fact that your ancestors were in fact slaves? You as a black American today are given the opportunities any other American are given, I say American as a whole since we have so many different races in this country.

This is not Colonial America. I did not own a slave, you were not a slave, I do not know any black people who had ancestors who were slaves. I do not know any white people who were slave owners.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Wasn't it Obamas opinion that no construction jobs created by the stimulus should go to white men?

Nuf said.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I think that African-Americans need to look at themselves. The reason they have less jobs is because more of them are on welfare. The reason there are more African Americans in prison is because they are more involved in crime. I have seen first hand how bad some of the ghettos are and that isn't anybodys fault but their own. The people living in the ghettos make them bad to live in. They are killing eachother over drugs and money and stupid stuff. That is THEIR choice. The reason African-Americans have a higher population of AIDS is because they are not taking the necessary percautions to prevent from getting it. So they do need to look at themselves and stop blaming everybody else for problems they are causing on themselves!!!!!!!!!!! If they would parent their children better, do something with themsleves so their kids are not raised by drug dealers and the streets then the cycle could be broken. And some are working towards this. But, their are the ones that blame the "white man" for evey problem they have. Its not the "white mans" fault they live in the ghetto, its not the "white mans" fault if they get AIDS and its not the "white mans" fault if they kill somebody or sell drugs and end up in prison. It is their own fault. They need to look at themselves for prosperity and success. The government isn't going to give it to them that is for sure. Obama is a moron and he will say anything to keep on getting the African-American votes!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I do have to say also, that obama wouldn't even be president if he wasn't "black." It is funny how African-Americans all call him black. He is HALF WHITE PEOPLE HELLLLLLOOOOO! The only reason he got elected was because of his skin color. So blacks want to talk about how the "white" man is and how we all discriminate. Well they elected a man based on his skin color. I have asked a number of African Americans why they voted for this guy, you know what they say "because he is black." That is all they based it on. So they want equality and all this other stuff, yet they do they same thing they so much want to change.
And by the way, my family wasn't in the US during slavery, so I am sick and tired of hearing about how the poor black people were treated by the "white" man. It isn't all white men, but they have that stuck in their head.
You know Italians woman were raped by black men. They came from Africa into villages and raped my ancestors. I am not still crying about it a 100 years later.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Victoria 1
The reason there are more African Americans in prison is because they are more involved in crime. !

That's because of our super-racist drug laws. The worst of all drug crimes is drunk driving but that is usually "punished" by a fine because so many rich white people do it. OTOH mere coc aine possession gets you years of prison time.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Oh my goodness.
I had thought that the Jesus is the only way thread was enough to encourage misanthropy, but this thread is even worse. Allow me to summarize the majority of the posts in this thread so far.

1. Black people are lazy
2. Black people are too stupid to go into the technology sector
3. Black people are supremely inclined to be criminals
4. The slave trade was started and perpetrated by black people enslaving themselves, shipping themselves over to America and making a killing on the trading of themselves
5. Obama didn't get voted in by the majority of Americans who believed in his policies. He was only voted in by black people who only voted for him because he is black
6. Obama wishes to only give construction jobs to Black people
7. The reading of books is a bad thing, it is a much better idea to gather information by attending the same public schools as black people
8. Any complaints by black people can be chaalked up to the fact that they are whiney, stupid lazy criminals who are all on welfare

I cannot believe the views expressed by the majority in this thread. I said it on the Jesus thread, I said it in the Gay Rights thread and I am saying it here: All this time, I felt that these prejudiced views were held by the minority, and that the majority of people were open-minded, educated, un-prejudiced people. I am starting to see that I was naive and incorrect. I am left with a very nasty taste in my mouth. Apparently, we haven't progressed at all. God help the planet, when it is populated by people like this.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DaisyAnne

That is right, post on what you only want to see.

Im still waiting for a reason how black Americans are at a disadvantage and how whites have the upper hand.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by I think Im normal

Nope, I am posting exactly what was said in this thread. And I quote:

hangedman13: The problem that black people face is their own lack of drive.

miraclerock: Blacks have less drive for education than whites.

Zosynspiracy: Many blacks can't even speak one language with grammatical efficiency.

THX-1138: 85% of Obama's success is based on skin color.

Rockpuck: Self pity and the belief of entitlement is the reason for their troubles.

Zosynspiracy: In fact it's those that do the research will eventually come to see that for the most part slavery was a result of black enslaving other blacks

BASSPLYR: they are just procrastinating doing something neccessary because it's easier in the short term to make excuses than to man up and do something.

Make Speed Limit 45: Very few black engineers in this world. Blacks just don't have the brains for technology.

Make Speed Limit 45: Very few blacks are engineers or architects or physicists or chemists. Blacks go into entertainment or athletics or crime.

badgerprints: Wasn't it Obamas opinion that no construction jobs created by the stimulus should go to white men?

Victoria 1: The reason they have less jobs is because more of them are on welfare. The reason there are more African Americans in prison is because they are more involved in crime.

Victoria 1: obama wouldn't even be president if he wasn't "black."

Victoria 1: The only reason he got elected was because of his skin color.

Also, I did post a link to source material regarding your question. It is a well-researched, balanced and scholarly work, and it gives fantastic insight into the question posed by the OP. But it is a book and you would have to read it for yourself, if you actually have any real interest in the other side of the story to your own. Not everything can be spoonfed to us over the internet. Sometimes we just have to read a book.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I will take a look at the book. I have it up in another window at the moment.

Still,
I go back to what I said, you are seeing what you want to see, your not commenting on the other views in this thread in your summary, you seem to only be seeing the negativity that was posted in this thread and seem to be avoiding the other views.

what is the reason or reasons black Americans are at a disadvantage and how do white Americans have the upper hand?

You say the answer is in the book, I want to know your reasons, not the books reasons.

What specifically have you been through?

Remember discrimination is not indicative to one race and therefor one persons experience with discrimination does not mean just because you share the same skin color that you are being discriminated against. This is why I am asking, how have you been discriminated against.

Back on topic, How can discrimination be the cause of black Americans problems? Is discrimination the cause of the white Americans problems?

It comes down to individual accountability.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45

Of course you think everyone should "ignore race" now that your ancestors have bequeathed to you generations worth of advantage gained at the expense of other peoples. Of course you think everyone's on equal footing,

Equal footing?? Like hell. Ever hear of affirmative action?. We have a govt that MANDATES discrimination against white people. And still white ppl are on top.

I love when people talk about things they don't understand. Not a week goes by that I don't get the visceral joy of corrected some chucklehead. Sometimes I can get several in in a day. You're #8

Affirmative Action does not discriminate against anyone. Please, go thtough the legislation and the paperwork. Read the fine print on the posters at work. hell, ask your manager to provide you the documentation.

What it does is promote diversity in the workplace, by asking employers to favor the least-represented ethnicity / sex / whatever criteria, out of a pool of similarly qualified applicants.

Say you are Joe. You are a white guy, and own a little retail thingerbobby in a strip mall near a primarily Hispanic neighborhood. Your Cashier recently left for better prospects, leaving you with an opening. You get several applications. Predictably given the neighborhood's demographics, you mostly get applications from hispanics, but there are a few black and white applicants as well.

After filtering out the applicants who have no references (or who lied about them) or who spell their own name five different ways on the application, you're left with a group of six who are good candidates for the position. Two hispanic women, one hispanic man, two black women, and a white man.

Which one do you give the job to? It can be pretty tricky. They're all pretty much equitable. All could do the job and do it well, none are perfect. So who gets the job?

Looking at your current roster, your other five employees are two Hispanic women, an Asian guy, a white man and a white woman (Not counting yourself). The genders are equal in your workplace, but you have no african-americans on your payroll. You call up one of the two African American candidates and ask when she can start work.

Did this process discriminate against anyone? No. Had the white man in the bunch been the only one who could spell his name and provide reputable references, he would have the job. Had neither of the two black women been qualified, odds are... the white man would have gotten the job. Same story for any of the other applicants.

Also, affirmative action is completely voluntary, and pretty much unenforcable. Only in fairly extreme cases would anyone in the Department of Labor consider looking up a business, and even then, only after plenty of complaints are made about it.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Is it just me or did EVERYONE in the U.S.A. forget that Obama's mother is WHITE!?
and did everyone;including Obama, forget that he was raised by his WHITE GRAND-MOTHER?? Why am I focusing on this? Very simple...because until people from this planet realize that there is only ONE race that matters...THE HUMAN RACE, people will kill each other no matter HOW much melanin they have in their skin! How long will it take for humanity to get over the most superficial garbage? If we look at the land mass of the Earth, we can see how all the land masses were once ONE. Why the separation? Because until the spirit of humanity puts ALL as ONE, the "continent's" will continue to represent the separation of humanity here, even though is is so easy to see that All is completed by the Whole, and the Whole is the result of the ONE

[edit on 02/13/2007 by ForceMaster]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DaisyAnne

Haha it's TRUE! Not only do many blacks (not all but many) speak ebonics, look at FRICKING Oprah and her "hey girlfriend" it's a black thang crap. It's almost like blacks don't even care. Many WHITE Americans can barely speak grammatically correct English as well.

My second point is very TRUE! Blacks have enslaved each other since the entire concept was invented.

And you claim to know about the black people's plight. Keep you head in the book lady cause the rest of us live in the real world.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join