It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Discrimination The Main Cause of African-American,s Problems?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I think that reading a well-researched book such as this one:

Race, Reform, and Rebellion: The Second Reconstruction and Beyond in Black America, 1945-2006

would do wonders in educating people on the history of the issues affecting African Americans, the results of which they are still dealing with today. A long history of enslavement, prejudice and economic suffering does not get fixed quickly by any means.

I really think if people would actually educate themselves on the issues, instead of making some of the lazy, racist assumptions that I read in this thread, prejudice would not have a leg to stand on.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Self pity and the belief of entitlement is the reason for their troubles.

They receive no more discrimination than any other race in this country, but seem to have the hardest time as a whole. Those who are successful believe they are so because of their own hard work, not allowing anyone to keep them down, and shouldn't feel they are owed anything.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Is Discrimination The Main Cause of African-American,s Problems?

No. Every person is different. We each have our own unique problems and reasons for those problems. Some are problems of our own making. Some are from our own bad decisions or the bad decisions of those around us. Some are inherited from our parents. Some are the situation we are born into. Some is the world being unfair. Ya' might even say some is God being unfair.

I don't see how anything can be a 'main cause'.

There are too many different things going on with too many different people to be able to make a 'main cause' statement at this time.*

* I say 'at this time' because if the economy collapses and there are massive riots everywhere, THEN you'd have a 'main cause of problems' situiation. Ya' know?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

And I believe that overall, there probably has never been less discrimination in America than there is today. I think we can say that.

A quote from your quote from obamas speech.

Doesnt sound like hes saying that at all. Sounds like he is stating the facts about the black community, and that those facts need to change.

I think if he would have insinuated anything of the sorts Fox news and their co-horts would have lambasted him and never forgotten it. Obviously their have been laws that protect minorities in the work place and abroad.

I think for the most part they have worked quite well. Sounds like you are trying to play the race card here, hope thats not the case...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by maldronath

I dont think it is fair to characterize and generalize an entire race of people saying they all think their problems are because of the white man.

their are plenty of black people out there that don't do anything of the sort. just like the op posted a quote from bill sosby...black guy remember?

It is the more uneducated who adhere to the older ramblings of malcom x and farrhekan (sp?) that like to spout nonsense...but just because the majority of it is gone, you can bet your bottom dollar it still exists in small businesses especially in the more predominately white areas of some southern states...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Sounds like you are trying to play the race card here, hope thats not the case...

Nope, not the case. Just stating as it is. If I had wanted to go down that road, I would have left that quote. IMO, many members seldom read the source one posts.

I read the quote you put and also other parts where he said no more excuses. My point lies where he talks about the first thing they have to do.

The first thing we need to do is make real the words of the NAACP charter and eradicate prejudice, bigotry, and discrimination among citizens of the United States. (Applause.)

IMO, if he feels that this is the first thing we need to do then he feels that discrimination is the main cause of the problem's blacks face. Why didn't he say the first priority was to get blacks out of poverty, or get more blacks educated, or improved the environment they live in.

I firmly believe that a person of color encounters many barriers, but those barriers can be overcome. I agree with the quote you posted that there is less discrimination today and that is why I feel Obama is wrong about his first priority.

Thanks for your opinion, star.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I see the major problem is their lack of a history other than slavery. Nothing before that so the hold on to the who slavery thing like it's gold because thats all they have. No proof of existance before that.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I wonder how it differs in the USA to say England or Russia or whatever country. All these studies and things we read are focused on the USA, but in other countries I wonder what its like. I don't think race plays that big of a role in success in say England but I haven't read many statistics; I wouldn't think it'd be worse than the USA.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

I hate this type of excuse. Gimme an [snip] break! Black people can trace their roots back to Africa. Africa is a beautiful planet filled with AMAZING culture. Hell I probably know more about the history of Africa and African culture than most American blacks do. Ever hear of the Masai? They are equivalent to the Native Americans. An amazing tribe that blacks should be proud of. Some of the healthiest people in the world are the Masai, or I should say were.

And Daisy Ann please enlighten us since you seem to get all your info from a book. No one is saying black Americans have had it easy. Far from it. But they are not the only disenfranchised people in this world. Slavery was a terrible thing. But America wasn't the ones that started it. In fact it's those that do the research will eventually come to see that for the most part slavery was a result of black enslaving other blacks. I would argue the Native Americas on this continent had it way harder than the blacks. Where are the Indian hollywood celebrities? Where are the Indian millionaire NFL players? Where are the millionaire Indian rappers? You're pathetic in my opinion. No one is being racist in this thread. For you to assume we are shows your own ignorance. I grew up in St. Louis. I've gone to public schools with blacks. I know black culture better than anyone. I also know history and have read books. But you're apologist attitudes are the exact reason why blacks as a whole don't advance as a people very rapidly.

[more

Removed censor circumvention

[edit on 22/7/09 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

Racism against blacks is very common in Britain and most of Europe. Who do you think started apartheid in Africa? Americans are some of the most welcoming people in the world when it comes to blacks and dark skinned people. Go to Asia, go to Europe, go to South America. Nowhere are black people treated as well or have more opportunity than in America. They should after all they helped build this country. It's as much theirs as anyone elses.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
if you take discrimination at the most BASIC and SURFACE level then, no, it is not the main cause of problems for african-americans.

however, once you look deeper into the phenomenon of discrimination and its effects it becomes clearly apparent that it has a MAJOR impact on many groups int he country and others.

for example the OP made a comment about this group residing mainly in urban areas, places where there are fewer jobs and fewer opportunities. as if to suggest that a simple move to another place would solve their problems.

my response: how does a economically and educationally challenged individual, who most likely is a single parent, round up their family and move somewhere else, let alone find a 'better' job?

my response: they don't. sadly they are victims of long standing circumstances that are a direct result of discrimination. they possess much less opportunity and ability to exercise their freedoms.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Excellent post Animal. Very thought provoking.

You are right that it is easier said than done to just pack up and move to another place for better opportunities. And you are right that it won't solve their problems. However, it could improve their life and provide answers to their problem.

Life is what people make of it. I don't believe that people can't learn to read or write. I don't believe that people can't find a better job. I don't believe that people can't make a better life. They can.

I don't care what race people are, how poor they are, or what circumstances they find themselves in, if a person has the heart and determination to do better for themselves, then that person will succeed.

That doesn't mean that all their problems will be solved or that discrimination against them will stop or that they will be living a life of luxury. It just means that they will be better off than if they chose the option of doing nothing.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by Animal

Excellent post Animal. Very thought provoking.

You are right that it is easier said than done to just pack up and move to another place for better opportunities. And you are right that it won't solve their problems. However, it could improve their life and provide answers to their problem.

Actually what I am saying is that I am willing to bet a large percentage of those living in the inner cities would find it NEARLY impossible to move.

As such they are victims of the places in which they live, victims of the repercussions of the 'great white flight', victims of poor education, and victims of poor opportunities.

Sure moving COULD potentially improve their lives, I do not disagree, however when you don't make enough money every month to pay for food or rent or anything beyond the most basic of necessities how do you propose they go about making such a move.

Life is what people make of it. I don't believe that people can't learn to read or write. I don't believe that people can't find a better job. I don't believe that people can't make a better life. They can.

I bet your a white male living somewhere other than int he inner city too.

I don't care what race people are, how poor they are, or what circumstances they find themselves in, if a person has the heart and determination to do better for themselves, then that person will succeed.

Sorry but there are no guarantees in life based on ones motivation or determination. Yes hard work and dedication are necessary in upward mobility but do not even come close to guaranteeing it.

That doesn't mean that all their problems will be solved or that discrimination against them will stop or that they will be living a life of luxury. It just means that they will be better off than if they chose the option of doing nothing.

I would suggest you take a good look at the situation. Though I commend you for your optimism, I assure you it takes much more than a positive outlook to 'rise above'.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by maldronath
I agree with that statement, but also can't seem to figure out why others treated worse have overcome it in no time, but hundreds of years later African Americans still blame someone else for their problems.

Who has been treated worse? Perhaps my own people. And given that our "neighborhoods" are almost without exception the most impoverished places in the United States, a full hundred years later, I wouldn't exactly say we've "Recovered in no time"

Now I'm going to go out on a short limb here. you're white, aren't you? European descent with pale skin, at least? And the people you're talking about - i'm taking a wild kick in the dark here - are the Jewish, Italian, and Irish immigrants around the turn of the century and the hardships they went through?

Their problems were due to their status as immigrants. Within a single generation, their descendants were "part of the melting pot" just another white, english-speaking face in a big ol' sea of them. They might be named Feldman or McCray or Scalise, but they looked and sounded no different from Jones and Field and Humphreys.

Now blacks on the other hand... They spent three hundred years in a system that deliberately destroyed culture and familial bonds and established poverty as a way of life, and instilled the dominance of the white against these people. Once freed, the white majority got to keep every single ounce of wealth that had been generated by their unpaid black labor, while the blacks had to start from scratch - there was no "40 acres and a mule" and if there were, there were no seeds to plant or hay to feed the thing.

To top it off... No matter their free state, no matter how many of them strove to overcome the accents they grew up with and "talk white", no matter how much education they gathered, no matter how "integrated" their kids were... black people were still black. it was the opposite of the European immigrants - the ex-slaves were named Brown and Douglass and Thornewood, but they LOOKED like Osunlande and Akingbade and Soalla.

Unlike European immigrants, it was very easy to single out and discriminate against black Americans. This was compounded by the fact that the European immigrants got to mingle into other families. I bet pretty much every white person who's family has been in the country for the last 150 years has at least a few Irish ancestors. How many have black ancestors? Very, very few. Thus it quickly became inappropriate to discriminate against these European immigrants because, well, pretty much anyone could be related to 'em. Not so for blacks

So what we have then is a people who started out miles behind the competition, and then had to go through an obstacle course while the others got a flat track and even the occasional bicycle.

And despite attempts to get rid of it, this system is still in place. Blacks lag behind whites because whites had a huge head start at the expense of blacks, and because they perpetuate the system that keeps them in the lead.

Quite frankly considering the hand that's been dealt to them, blacks have done damn well. I'll bet you cheese-eaters couldn't have done any better if put in the same position.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I use to date a Guyanese women and I learned some various things from her. One of the most interesting was the Indians view on blacks. [Guyanese of Indian descent] They have a strong dislike for them! For reasons that in America that would get you labeled racist! A case of parallel development? Or could it be something else? And considering her complexion she was often mistaken as black herself. She hated the reaction when black men would see us walking together.[Ya Im white] The reaction to what they thought was "one of theirs" with a white man was a gas! Did my heart good to listen to her response to such nonsense!!
Like too many folks these days some black have no respect for anything or anyone.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

And Daisy Ann please enlighten us since you seem to get all your info from a book. No one is saying black Americans have had it easy. Far from it. But they are not the only disenfranchised people in this world. Slavery was a terrible thing. But America wasn't the ones that started it. In fact it's those that do the research will eventually come to see that for the most part slavery was a result of black enslaving other blacks. I would argue the Native Americas on this continent had it way harder than the blacks. Where are the Indian hollywood celebrities? Where are the Indian millionaire NFL players? Where are the millionaire Indian rappers? You're pathetic in my opinion. No one is being racist in this thread. For you to assume we are shows your own ignorance. I grew up in St. Louis. I've gone to public schools with blacks. I know black culture better than anyone. I also know history and have read books. But you're apologist attitudes are the exact reason why blacks as a whole don't advance as a people very rapidly.

You know what? I'm going to rise above the direct personal insult you dealt to me here, although I will admit it is sticking in my craw.

To do with the topic: If only you would read something on the history of the situation. I'm afraid that the fact that you went to school with African Americans does not mean that you know black culture better than anyone. The fact that you think that is frankly preposterous. Are you an African American? Because if not, I would say that they know their own culture much better than you do, despite the fact that you grew up in St. Louis and went to school with them.

I'm sorry that the far reaching implications of the socio-economic oppression of African Americans seems to be beyond you, there's nothing I can do for you in that respect, except for suggesting some reading material, as I did earlier.

Also, if I see posts that I deem to be racist, then I will call them as I see them, no matter what you or anyone else has to say on the matter. Walk a mile in my shoes, and then get back on your high horse and see if it still feels comfortable.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This a very touchy issue, so I will tread lightly. I agree with the President's assertions that there is definitely a stark contrast to African American quality of life in regards to the white majority. However, I believe we see it more because they are the minority and their ills are more readily visible because their numbers are smaller than the majority. Maybe in 50 or so years when Hispanics assume the role as the majority in America as sociologists predict, the ills of white people will become more visible than now.

However, I am in the boat will Bill Cosby and I believe African Americans should hold themselves to a higher standard and repair the family. I think the strength of family is the most important tool in alleviating the plight of African Americans. Growing up in a broken or abusive home can be a prison without bars to a child and can have catastrophic affects on them as adults. Values, discipline, education, self-worth, and other social attributes must be instilled in African American children so that when they reach maturity they are not at unfair disadvantage to others when maneuvering through society.

These types of attributes are best learned in a wholesome family environment. I'm not saying they can't be learned elsewhere but the family acts as a foundation to any child's development into adulthood. The failure of the family is the root cause because children need stability and love to grow. A flower cannot bloom without water, sunlight, or nutrients. The home should be their sanctuary and this can be in the ghetto or suburbia. This is where the resurgence of the African American begins.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Here is a solution

Everyone needs to [snip] about white, black, brown, yellow, blue, polka dot, strawberry swirl and realize that you did not live through slavery, you know no one who has lived through slavery, every race has been a slave at one time or another for long periods of times, and that every single person on this planet has been discriminated against.

No discrimination is not the main cause of Black Americans problems I say Black Americans because they are not from Africa, I am not a British American now am I?

You make your own bed, don't try and get others to take the blame because you didn't make it correctly.

There is some very educated Black Americans in America, do you see them screaming discrimination? no they got up and got their own.

Eminem said it best in his song Beautiful

Nobody asked for life to deal us With these BS hands with doubt We have to take these cards ourselves And flip them, don't expect no help

Now I could have either just Sat on my A$$ and pissed and moaned But take this situation in which I'm placed in And get up and get my own

It comes down to personal problems from individuals who then get together who have similar personal problems and a group is formed it just so happened to be black America who voices there problems the most and chooses to then blame said personal problems on a race that had nothing to do with these persons personal problems. I did not default on your car payment, I did not stop you from getting an education, I did not stop you from paying your light bill, I did not place you in the house, or city, or state in which you live. You know who did do those things? You.

I guess I am racist now for speaking my opinion.

Removed censor circumvention

[edit on 22/7/09 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think that it comes down to individual responsibility.

If you can't get a good job, figure out what skills are required, obtain the skills, then get the job.

If you want to have kids, find a great spouse, get married, then have the kids. If you are a single parent the chances of you being economically independent are far smaller.

Make sure that you raise your children to place a high value on education. Keep them away from negative stereotypes. If possible restrict their use of TV, internet, electronic games, social networking sites until they are old enough to be able to use these without undo influence.

Create your own success.

Many people, of all colors, can be found that are disadvantaged from an economic point of view. Some will succeed, others will become wards of the state.

If the state wants this system to end they need to change welfare laws. Most people would like to see some sort of safety net but this shouldn't be allowed to become a lifestyle. Some changes I'd suggest. Limit the length of time that you can receive welfare to about 6 months. After that you have to show up for work every day at the welfare office. Put the workers to work cleaning and repairing what ever the city/county/state needs. If you have another child while on welfare, your benefit decreases and the state will review you to see if you're a fit parent. Offer job training in fields that are in need in your area. You can go to job training instead of mandatory work. The goal of welfare should be to get people back to work and to make sure that the children are seeing mom and dad going to work every day.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The biggest problem I see on this thread ( and everywhere for that matter) is that we are using divisive language to address a social issue.
Black? i think BROWN would be far more accurate and for that matter I don't like being called "WHITE"
I'm not WHITE, im a very light brown and creamy color actually.

What about this term "African-American". How many people who use that term to describe themselves were born there or for that matter have even been there? Actually, all americans can rightfully call themselves African-Americans if it's true that modern man's ancestors came from there originally. The same goes for "native americans". I was born here, doesn't that make me a "native" american too? We all know NOW that "Indians" is an incorrect term - Aboriginal Americans would be far a far more accurate term.

Put simply, first and foremost were all just humans, Homo sapiens, People.

There are 5 distinct races in the world and they are caucasoid, capoid, congoid, australoid and mongoloid. However, few if any of us retain the so-called "pure" genetic makeup of any of those races anymore. We're all mongrels which is fine with me. In fact we're all 54th cousins or closer if what I've read is true.

Race oriented organizations, legislation and language are the tools used by those who have the power to retain it - by keeping us all at odds with each other. Don't fall for it people; we're better and smarter than that. We need to get on to more pressing issues like better healthcare, education and saving our environment. We have the tools, we have the technology but can we find the will? I sure hope so. regards, Asktheanimals

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join