It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Standard Abuse of Power in New Orleans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This happened to us this weekend, and I am really angry. Misty, who I've been dating a few weeks now, got into an accident right at the Canal/metairie road juncture on her way to work. Everyone was ok, and the cops pulled up quickly. When they did, they immediately asked Misti if she wanted them to "activate a tow truck". She didnt think her car could drive, so she said "yes" not understanding all that entailed. They did not tell her that once activated it couldnt be cancelled until after they had already called. They ALSO didnt tell her that they charge people who just got into accidents 3 times the cost for towing!! She called me, and i told her to cancel as i had free roadside assistance, but the cops would not let her. When i got there, we all talked a bit, and then the tow truck pulled up. He dragged her car up onto the truck and then told us he was towing it to the police depot, it would cost us $175, and we would then have to pay another company to tow it out of there and to a place of our choice....not including the FEE for the DEPOT as well!!! She asked if he could tow it directly to an auto shop a mile away, and he said only if she immediately paid him $225 cash. I asked him how could it be that when a tow costs $60 bucks any other time, we are being forced after an accident, and prior to having massive repair bills, to pay an exhorbitant $175 to tow it uselessly to the police impound, or $225 to tow it to a body shop. Its like they are distinctly taking advantage of those in a shaken state and at a disadvantage in order to make money. He stated that if we had called him on our own phone, it would have been $60, but as soon as the police call it in (yeah, thanks a lot guys) it becomes $175. Thats a damn $115 phone call the police make for us in a world where everyone has a cell phone.

I demanded that he put the car back on the ground, but he stated that once the cops call him we no longer had the right to demand our car back, and the cops were there to back up his claim. This is all on top of the fact that a month ago, when a cop car slammed into misti's car t bone style, they refused to call a tow truck for her saying that the police cant be affiliating with tow companies. This is government abuse at its worst, people using their position and authority to do what they want, and to make profit, at the expense of those in their power, and I must admit this made me so mad i was raising my voice to the tow truck driver. Just wanted to share this experience with you guys. The lesson to be learned here, i imagine, is if you have an accident, DO NOT allow the cops to call a tow truck for you, call on your own. This further reinforces the impression I have learned that the cops often are not looking out for your best interest. Think closely before you ever call because once you invite them into your life, the situation is no longer under your control.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by pexx421]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

lol, thats the homeland for you. New orleans police are morons, well most of them. Jefferson parish is better. But I think the cops were wrong, but that is the law unfortunatley. As wack as it is. A tow truck should have been called for the t-bone accident, but it wasn't because the City would take money out of that cops check to pay for the damage to his cruiser. And also the paperwork would prove that it would need to be out of his check, so he just didn't want to pay the damn fee. I understand your angry, but in that position they were right. BUT, it is not morally right or technically right. But at the end of the days thats just goes to show the corruption in the city, we are going to wind up like GOTHAM city from Batman if we stay on this road.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

Tow truck 'rules of the road' are crap to begin with. The old excuse of "once we are called" or "once we have it on the hook" are nothing but poor excuses for money making.

The excuse your gf got when she was t-boned is also crap. All PD's have tow companies that they call when accidents occur. That cop just hoped he could wiggle out of some charges, legal or monetary, is all.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
keeping in mind that new orleans WAS ranked most corrupt city in the country last year....our landrieu was also ranked most corrupt politician.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

lol, everyone is corrupt. Nagin, Landrieu, the lot of them. We just need to start all over. Wipe away everyone and start again.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

Hi, pexx421.

I would also suggest: Try to have that exposed in a local newspaper.
That could show people, wich tow-rapist to NEVER call ! B-)

Blue skies.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
San Fran is no different than New Orleans in that respect.

The funny thing is that if no one is around, you can get the Tow Truck Driver to do an awful lot under the table if you have cash. I've had my car up on the Tow Truck and stopped the driver at a Stop Sign (having Out of State Plates in any parking lot in San Fran causes the owner of the parking lot to exploit that fact and call a Tow Truck, even when you are a customer...I guess they get a kick-back for calling the Towing company). Apparently a lot of Tow Truck drivers are fond of Benjamin Franklin (must be the Patron Saint of Tow Truck Drivers) and just seeing him on a bill gets them to pull over and let your car go as if nothing happened.

However, it does sound like the New Orleans police are going halfsies with the Tow Truck Drivers. It's clearly a scam...but as New Orleans is still under Napoleanic Code instead of Tort Law like the rest of the United States, they can get away with a lot more than they would be able to elsewhere.

(I mean really! Where else in the United States can you get arrested for "Leaning with the Intent to Fall" and "Molesting a Cheeseburger"?)

new topics

top topics

join