It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anomalous Shadow Found in NASA's LRO Image of Apollo 17 Landing Site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I just noticed this while going over the Apollo Landing site pictures, released by the LRO.

LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites.

I would like to draw your attention to the image of the Apollo 17 site.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6623a036c0ed.jpg[/atsimg]

What is the shadow on the left of the picture, seen here in a cropped version:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c691c6d2471.jpg[/atsimg]

A bit more closely:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/68ab342ec671.jpg[/atsimg]

NASA has labelled the Lander in the photo:

(Apollo 17 lunar module, Challenger). Image width: 359 meters (about 1,178 ft.

So if it's a shadow on the surface, whatever made it is taller than the Lunar module. And seemingly pointy.

Could it be faulty photographic equipment? However none of the other images show such a fault if that is the case.

It cannot be any equipment or scientific instruments left behind as highlighted in the Apollo 14 image, it's just too large.

What do you all think?

Equipment problem, a structure on the moon, evidence of tampering, a rock formation, what?

[edit on 18-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

When I followed your link, and clicked on "larger image" it showed an object casting that shadow.

We're going to need some resident experts to tell us what the object is...it is fairly narrow, and somewhat taller (maybe) than the descent stage of the LM...but, remember....IF the terrain on the shadowed side is not level, and is a downslope, the shadow will appear exaggerated in length.

ALSO, it needn't be much taller than the LM to lcast a longer shadow. The LM is only a few feet higher than the height of a person....

[edit on 18 July 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The object casting the shadow does not have to be taller than the LM. The LM is on fairly level ground, an object on a slope will cast a longer shadow. I think the shadow you're interested in is from this rock, known as "geophone rock".

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Okay, I see what you mean, the enlarged image can be found here.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f84d3488f8c5.jpg[/atsimg]

But in a way that raises more questions. Do you think it's possible that NASA labelled the wrong object the Lunar Module?

What I mean is it possible that they've labelled the eguipment the module and the larger object, throwing a larger shaddow is actually it.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
reply to

What I mean is it possible that they've labelled the eguipment the module and the larger object, throwing a larger shaddow is actually it.

I doubt it but then again a car can be lost in a parking garage maybe if they have the keys we can make the lights flash.Sorry couldnt help it!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The object casting the shadow does not have to be taller than the LM. The LM is on fairly level ground, an object on a slope will cast a longer shadow. I think the shadow you're interested in is from this rock, known as "geophone rock".

G'day Phage.

I cannot find any details about the size/hight of this rock. Will keep searching. There's quite a few other rocks to the South West of the Module. I can see at least four.

None of them cast such a shadow though. It seems extremely pointy to me. I don't suppose the astronauts climbed it or anything?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

They took samples off of it. There are photos with footprints around the rock but none with an astronaut near it. It is a very pointy rock.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yeah I guess you're right, I cannot wait for the LRO to reach its final orbit, the photos will be cool!

It will be very interesting. I find these current images alittle low in quality to get too excited about them.

You?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I think the quality is great and it will get better but I don't expect there is going to be a whole lot to get excited about (except for the scientists). It's fun to correlate the LRO photos to things seen in the surface photos (like Geophone Rock) but other than that...its craters and rocks. It's fun to see my house on Google Earth, but not really exciting.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The Geophone Rock is detailed in this study. The image links by Weedwhacker and Phage made me curious...

Geophone Rock was about 3 meters high and was located at the ALSEP station about 150 m from the LM. It is a vesicular high-Ti basalt typical of the Apollo 17 site with a crystallization age of about 3.7 b.y. and an exposure age of about 110 m.y. Part of the interest in Geophone Rock was that it was expected that it would be covered with the mysterious“dark mantle”, but the astronauts were unable to recognize such.

top topics

join