It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Van/Truck

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

amazing advice

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

One man's garbage is another man's treasure. Maybe someone can outfit a garbage truck to convert the trash to biofuel and run it on that.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
my set-up.

i live most of the year while on the road in a 79 shasta c-class rv. it's a short one, about 20 feet and i've set it up with solar panels and x-tra batts. have a small honda generator mostly just to run power tools.
it's a basic carburated 350 chevy, which is not good for milage, but is great if parts are needed, available everywhere.
i also own a 78 international scout2, 4+4, winch, bullet proof 345 motor.
parts can be tough, but many don't realize int. used parts from other manufactures, so many are interchangable.

the rv is very comfortable, but if i need to get deeper in the woods the scout will go just about anywhere.

one thing i always point out is availability of parts and the knowledge of being able to fix your own rig.
i can fix anything on either of these, but if i get into a newer, computerized vehicle, a break down could leave me struggling to diagnose, along with serious difficulty finding parts.

edit to add, once it gets too rough for the rv, the scout is good to go, but if it gets to rough for that then i have an older yamaha 400 enduro strapped to the back of the rv..
if it gets too rough for that then the rubber on the soles of my boots is the next vehicle.

i also warn people about size, i can get my rv about anywhere the van in the op can go, and then some, i have airbags on the back differential that give me about double to triple the clearence of a regular van.
length can also be a big problem if driving on rough roads in the woods.
try and get a bigger vehicle up some of the roads i travel and you'll realize overhanging trees, tight turns and rough roads will stop you far quicker than you'd hope for.
edit on 27-11-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Why not an F-550 bucket truck? A 40 gallon diesel tank, will run on bio-diesel, but watch out for rot on injector o-rings and other rubber parts. Enough fuel for at least ten hours at lower than freeway speeds (~45-50 mph). Dual rear wheels, flatten one- still in buisness. Road blocked with abanded cars?- wouldn't ram with the front, but back into it, and push most anything off the road. No worries about anybody ramming you off the road from the side with any normal vehicle, or pushing you off it from behind. Tons of storage space in double locking steel bins. Dual batteries for cranking power makes a large inverter easy to add. And you have a telescoping bucket to get a view from 50' up- you can see a very long way ahead from most areas up that high (mobile deer stand). I drive one every work day around a major city and would prefer to drive nothing else.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join