It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Van/Truck

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I hear what you're saying about the newer ones.

From 2007 onwards the new defender model has an engine that is very very electronical and makes my TD5 engine look ancient!

I've had no issues with my defender yet and though it has an ECU it is a very basic one at that.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You know I have to point out that while a defender 110 or 90.. the short jeep looking version is the 90 the longer wagon is the 110...
Anyway they command such a high price tag I could buy 10 Willys Jeep overland wagon 4x4 fully restored off ebay and still have enough money left over to some really cool tricks of my own

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a92631474cf.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 22-7-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

description of my rig I posted in Northern Raider's similar thread:

2001 Ford F-250 3/4 ton 7.3 Diesel

25 gal native fuel cap.=400 miles loaded range in adverse conditions

40 gal removable auxillary fuel for 600 miles additional range

80 degree tank heater with dedicted battery for cold weather conditions
(gelling problem solved)

Ability to run on alternative fuel (any vegetable oil). This is not sustainable due to filtration and coking issues, but can get you out of trouble. Biodiesel setup can be built from junk as long as you can get lye and methanol. (I have access to a small still already).

Sleeping gear is kept in the house, packed in tubs, along with cooking gear and the rest of the stuff needed for extended camping.

Small solar panel to maintain battery condition for long periods of sitting without burning fuel. This is an important addition for ANY BOV but especially if you have multiple batts.

Small wind generator with a mount for a locally sourced wooden mast. Pine tree most likely suspect.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
To find the ultimate survival vehicle you should look to people that are already in a near survival situation... People that can’t afford new parts, high grade gas, pointless gadgets and a convoy of logistics to keep it running!

When watching the news on story’s, from 3rd world country’s featuring men with AK 47's and RPG's being transported around, what vehicle are they almost always using?

Its all very well and good having a flash modern vehicle but what do you do when the thing breaks down or needs a spare part?

Answer... get a vehicle that does not break down and can run on anything...

Toyota Hilux

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Forget all the flash crap... go with whats practicle

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Amen muckster, star for you bro.

Those things are indestructable, From Africa to Afghanistan they are everywhere!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Schoolbuses are a great option for conversions - they can be found pretty cheaply online, and some people have done fantastic schoolbus - rv conversions.. They're much more solidly and safely constructed than an RV, so for survival purposes, they're clearly better..

I found one for sale on craigslist last week for under a grand...

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Inannamute

check this one out

awesome bus conversion

this guys bus looks like a fine yacht on the inside

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
You know I have to point out that while a defender 110 or 90.. the short jeep looking version is the 90 the longer wagon is the 110...
Anyway they command such a high price tag I could buy 10 Willys Jeep overland wagon 4x4 fully restored off ebay and still have enough money left over to some really cool tricks of my own

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a92631474cf.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 22-7-2009 by DaddyBare]

In the states you'll pay through the nose for a defender (90 or 110) due to your draconian import laws but in the UK they aren't that dear.
I paid about $7000 or so for mine (110) and it's only 8 years old and runs brilliantly.
They also hold their value and you can sleep in 'em.
A hilux is ok for wide-open spaces but pretty lame offroad compared to a defender when it gets tight and tricky.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by WatchRider]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Thanks hotrodturbo7

WatchRider...

In the states you'll pay through the nose for a defender (90 or 110) due to your draconian import laws but in the UK they aren't that dear.
I paid about $7000 or so for mine (110) and it's only 8 years old and runs brilliantly.
They also hold their value and you can sleep in 'em.
A hilux is ok for wide-open spaces but pretty lame offroad compared to a defender when it gets tight and tricky.

I agree... the Defender will beat a Hilux for off road ability. I would still go for the Hilux though simply because i want a vehicle that will run with a broken axle and my p!ss in the tank

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Don't know about the broken axle but you can run a defender off used engine / hydraulic / vegetable oil

Just filter and add a bit of white spirit / meths to it so it ignites better

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The vehicle needs to be diesel flex fuel, so that it can run on bio, peanut oil or virtually anything that burns.

It needs to not be electric ignition, meaning if there is a massive emp event then 99% of the cars out there will not be able to start since they will essentially be short circuited. So what ever you get make sure it survive an emp event.

It should have very rugged off road tires, ideally the truck should be awd/4wd

Then you can get into the custom features of what you are looking for.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer

The vehicle needs to be diesel flex fuel, so that it can run on bio, peanut oil or virtually anything that burns.

It needs to not be electric ignition, meaning if there is a massive emp event then 99% of the cars out there will not be able to start since they will essentially be short circuited. So what ever you get make sure it survive an emp event.

It should have very rugged off road tires, ideally the truck should be awd/4wd

Then you can get into the custom features of what you are looking for.

Agreed, you can spend $$$$ on conversions or buy a rugged vehicle that runs on diesel fuel.
Old diesel engines are less fussy about what fuel they accept.
Don't forget the innovator of the first diesel engine ran it off peanut oil

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Very nice, but if the SHTF, you won't be able to power that vehicle. There will be no gasoline. Whatever gasoline you store (NOT RECOMMENDED) will be consumed quickly.

Besides that, you will likely find the roads impassible. This thing would only be useful if you used it to get out of dangerous areas and into a long-term spot where you could park it and live in it.

What would you do about protecting it? Seems kind of vulnerable to attack.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
Very nice, but if the SHTF, you won't be able to power that vehicle. There will be no gasoline. Whatever gasoline you store (NOT RECOMMENDED) will be consumed quickly.

Besides that, you will likely find the roads impassible. This thing would only be useful if you used it to get out of dangerous areas and into a long-term spot where you could park it and live in it.

What would you do about protecting it? Seems kind of vulnerable to attack.

If TSHTF then I'll be using it for exactly that and it'll be in a secure location that'll be defended by others of a similar mindset

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
what happens once there's no fuel to power these vehicles?

expensively large paper weights?

cool ideas for the short term civilization exodus

Exactly what I was thinking. Vehicles are in no way a long term solution if worse comes to worse. They might provide decent shelter for a while though.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by resistor

In my mind it was never a long term solution (depending on type of sit X)

But you may need something to get you away from built up areas quickly. I have a few areas in mind which i would run to in the event of an emergency... I may still need a vehicle as an emergency backup. But, as infrastructure breaks down it will become harder and harder to maintain ANY vehicle. Eventually it will be useless. Assuming there is no serious pollutants around, or that we haven’t eaten them all, Horse's would probably make a comeback.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I think basically any survival vehicle is mostly used to get to a safe place, then as the base for a shelter - eg. if you're looking to hide your shelter, you could dig a large trench for the vehicle, drive it down into there, then cover around it. A trench half the height of the vehicle would be adequate to reduce it's outline. Hide the entrance sufficiently, cover your little "hill", and not only do you have a relatively comfortable shelter, but you have one that is well insulated, hidden, etc. If it's a choice between building my own shelter from scratch, and using a van that's been outfitted as a survival vehicle, I know which I'd prefer. It's more secure, less leaky, more comfortable, a cleaner environment in the case of injured people requiring first aid.. etc.

I've often considered purchasing a cheap used van (business vans can be had for 1-2k) and then turning into a camper, making the most efficient use of the limited available space. A 1 -2 person vehicle like that could definitely make a decent emergency shelter. Yes, covering with earth would need some things like air intake and outlet vents, but that sort of thing could be achieved with rubber hoses, hidden by plants on the outside..

And to the person that posted Jake Von Slatt's bus mod, yeah, I've seen that before.. I'm not sure anything I produce could be that ambitious, but I'm a really good scavenger/cheap item construction kind of person.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMythLives
reply to post by DaddyBare

Great idea! Here's some more from a vehicle that you may not think could look so good.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a0d2fba4c6c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/03b7cd60090b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/403e6ed15cbe.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae0bce53f5f2.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/61ccc49b387d.jpg[/atsimg]

And this is what it is:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e04cd46392e2.jpg[/atsimg]

Yep a garbage truck.

[edit on Jul 18th 2009 by TheMythLives]

thi is truly a work of art..... just amazing... I would never have thought of this...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Last year we found and purchased 2 relatively low cost vehicles in the military aspects..... a british saracen and a spartan.... both fully loaded and stashed away.

BTW.... I tried to post a photo and it came back as being deleted... used photobucket and it did not work... any ideas as to what I did wrong...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

You need to host images here at ats, rather than externally, I believe. Checking the user help pages here would probably assist, though I confess I'm not an expert

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join