It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If Another Country Replaced America’s Flag on the Moon with Their Own?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
It could happen. Easily. America doesn’t have the drive or desire to go to the moon. As a country, America is focused more on the issues of “now” than the “future”. The mentality of America is to fix the problems we have now first and then, when all of that is fixed, focus on something else like maybe the moon. But that is such a naïve viewpoint because there will ALWAYS be problems. No country ever reaches a utopian state.

So, what WOULD motivate America to start a moon program in earnest? If some other country, Russia or China or India for example, were to step up their space program and get men on the moon, I just know there would be a huge calling to crank NASA into high gear. Call it American’s desire to be on top, not to be out-done. Americans aren’t the type to let someone else beat them at something.

Sure, sure they can say they’ve been there before and they were first. But 40 years have past and America’s done nothing with that gold medal. If someone else gets there and all eyes are on that country, an entirely new generation will be looking at the moon landings fresh like it’s the first time! And this time, whoever goes up there maybe will have a purpose, a long term plan. The world may be looking at phase one of perhaps something even bigger! Someone else up there, with the world looking at them in admiration and awe instead of at America? Americans might start to get a little pissy.

And what if America didn’t make it up there and another country took down America’s flag and replaced it with their own? (That is, if you believe there is a flag up there at all… but that’s a DIFFERENT topic.) I think there would be such a cry out from America to get that flag back up there, your head would spin. Everything else would take a back seat, even though treaties were signed 40 years ago stating that no one country would own or lay claim to any one part of the moon. Instead of going up there and putting it back, would we go to war over a flag on the moon? Or would we roll our eyes and turn our head back to those all-so-important issues “we need to face before we even THINK about going to the moon?”
If people want to get America’s ass moving again and get people on the moon, someone has to play to America’s sense of pride and especially their avarice!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
If another country gets on the moon and plants their flag on it, that means that they got their first because America, sad to say, never made it there.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just put a flag somewhere else instead. That goes for both India, China and other space-faring countries. And if they take the US flag down, then the US can place another one somewhere else on the Moon in 2020 when NASA go back.

I think the flags placed there were for human-kind anyway. So it's not offensive to take down the flag as the US doesn't own the Moon anyway, and neither does any country. It's human-kind as a whole that owns it.

And China or India would want to land somewhere else that we haven't already explored so they can discover something new that we don't already know. After all, Moon missions are for science as much as exploration.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29
If another country gets on the moon and plants their flag on it, that means that they got their first because America, sad to say, never made it there.

Have a look at this: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And tell me how you can just ignore the overwhelming evidence that we went to the Moon before the release of these photos, and after the release of these photos?

[edit on 18-7-2009 by john124]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I would love to see Cuba put their flag on the moon just because it would make amazing news headlines!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Imagine the look on peoples faces when another country goes to the moon, plants a flag, then either takes a picture of whats left of the USA flag, or lack thereof.

I think that might be the icing on the cake for many.

Too bad different nationalities can't take their own country's flags. Like a jamaican, maybe an italian, and a swiss flag.

link   

Everything else would take a back seat, even though treaties were signed 40 years ago stating that no one country would own or lay claim to any one part of the moon. Instead of going up there and putting it back, would we go to war over a flag on the moon?

NASA collaborate's with other space agencies. The competitiveness of the cold-war space-race no longer applies.

Definitely would NOT go to war over that.

For China to remove a flag would be pointless and achieve very little for them so why would they even want to? Going to the Moon costs a lot of money, and even communist countries would want some benefits from this.

The issue of humans fightings over ownership of the Moon will probably not be in any of our lifetimes. Although we would hope that humans have got past petty squabling by that time.

link   
Depending on the various theories out there the moon may not even belong to the human race, that it was brought here by higher intelligences.

That with the rumors there are alien bases on the moon, most notably on the far side and underground.

Even though I think the moon is the better place for the first colonizations, it may not belong to us.

Mars seems to be the better place, a place that might have life and it belongs to us with the argument that everything with a permanent fixture in our solar system belongs to us.

We could even set up transportable bases on Mercury at a later date but I feel that certain Jovian moons will come after Mars.

Everybody should be able to have the ability to benefit and participate for a peaceful future and governance in our solar system, otherwise we'll keep having wars because someone's getting ripped off

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Depending on the various theories out there the moon may not even belong to the human race, that it was brought here by higher intelligences.

That with the rumors there are alien bases on the moon, most notably on the far side and underground.

Even though I think the moon is the better place for the first colonizations, it may not belong to us.

Mars seems to be the better place, a place that might have life and it belongs to us with the argument that everything with a permanent fixture in our solar system belongs to us.

We could even set up transportable bases on Mercury at a later date but I feel that certain Jovian moons will come after Mars.

Everybody should be able to have the ability to benefit and participate for a peaceful future and governance in our solar system, otherwise we'll keep having wars because someone's getting ripped off

Aren't the theories of the Moon being artificial just made-up. And if we can take made-up theories as credible, then maybe Mars is also a non-permanent fixture...
The best suggestion I've heard is that the Moon is the same apparent size therefore total solar eclipses occur, and so the Moon had to have been placed there rather than coincidence that we happen to live at the same time this event occurs.

But that theory fails to take into account that not all solar eclipses occur with the Moon as the same apparent diameter of the Sun - annular eclipses when the Moon is at apogee occur with a smaller apparent diameter of the Moon. And in several thousand years the Moon will be too far away for total solar eclipses to occur when the Moon is even at perigee, due to the Moon moving away a few centimetres from the Earth each year in its orbit.

Although Mars is the next step, and the best place to build a base simply because we've already been to the Moon, why waste time going back...

And Mercury is too hot and baked and too near the Sun to build a base. It's temperature varies between -173 degrees C to 427 degrees C. It would be difficult to find a location whose temperature does not have such a varying extreme, as to be able to build a viable base.

And in this inner sphere of the solar system there would be no real purpose to visit there. It would be too far out of the way of any interesting places beyond Mars and in the outer solar system.

Jupiter & Saturn's Moons look a better bet after we've colonised Mars.

edit: I'm sure we could compromise with the aliens though and just let them keep the Moon if they do own it.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If the moon drifts a few centimeters away, will it ever just drift away.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar

The moon doesn't belong to ANYONE! (Stated by our own UN resolution.)

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Cross-posted from another duplicate thread.

If a "Capture the Flag" contest broke out and it gave the U.S. a kick in the pants to start up the Space Race once again, then I'm all for it!
Heaven knows we accomplished more in Space Exploration during those 18 years between 1957 and 1975 than we have in the 34 years since!

However, the placing of the flag is a symbolic gesture dating to Imperialistic times.

Pilgrim: "With this flag, I claim this land in the name of the King of England."
Annoyed Indian: "Ahem! Excuse me...but we were here first. This is our land!"
Pilgrim: "Oh sorry, I didn't see you there. Do you have a flag?"
Annoyed Indian: "Flag? We don't need no stinkin' flags!"
Pilgrim: "Well we have a flag and this land now belongs to England."
Annoyed Indian: "Fine, then don't come running to us when you run out of food when winter comes!"

Although there is still some kind of unwritten rule that a placed flag denotes ownership, just like getting somewhere first somehow denotes ownership (possession being 9/10ths of the law and all that sticky jazz), neither would hold up under International Law in regards to the moon. (Jupiter869 is correct, a UN Resolution that we signed states that the moon is not the territorial possession of any nation.)

Personally, I find it rather silly that temporal creatures such as humans would stake claim to lands that were here for billions of years before the advent of the human species and will continue to be here for billions of years after our species is extinct. But then again, Nationalism is just as silly as a notion to me as well.

Still, whatever excuse Americans need to get off their duffs and to start working on furthering Space Exploration is good enough for me, even if you have to use Nationalism and Imperialistic Flags to achieve that.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
The moon will belong to whomever exploits it first. Probably the Chinese. America was a great idea, and a great nation, but once you throw out God, the greatness fades.

They are managing us into third world status so that we can be controlled and exploited like any other third world country.

Forget about America returning to the moon. We'll be lucky if we even have electricity in our homes in the next 20 years. The pace of de-industrialization is breathtaking.

I'm hardly surprised that judgment is starting to bear it's fruit. Unfortunately it will be getting a lot worse before it gets better.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
There was no "claiming" of the Moon. It was a "we were here" gesture. There were no words said by Armstrong or Aldrin while planting the flag but here's what Nixon said to them afterward:

Neil and Buzz, I am talking to you by telephone from the Oval Room at the White House. And this certainly has to be the most historic telephone call ever made. I just can't tell you how proud we all are of what you ... for every American, this has to be the proudest day of our lives. And for the people all over the world, I am sure they, too, join with Americans, in recognizing what a feat this is. Because of what you have done, the heavens have become a part of man's world. And as you talk to us from the Sea of Tranquility, it inspires us to double our efforts to bring peace and tranquility to Earth. For one priceless moment, in the whole history of man, all the people on this earth are truly one. One in their pride in what you have done. And one in our prayers, that you will return safely to earth.

Meanwhile, Buzz is thinking,

My God, I never thought of all this bringing peace and tranquility to anyone. As far as I am concerned, this voyage is fraught with hazards for the three of us- and especially two of us- and that is about as far as I have gotten in my thinking.

history.nasa.gov...

But Neil says in reply to the President

"It's a great honor and privilege for us to be here, representing not only the United States but men of peace of all nations, and with interest and a curiosity and a vision for the future."

Aside from all that, after 40 years of unfiltered ultraviolet radiation from the sun it's
highly unlikely there's anything left of any of the flags.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The competitiveness is gone from the Space Programs?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. Oh man. That's awesome.

There is cooperation for one reason only. To get tech and knowledge.

You think China is rushing to get out of the atmosphere in the pursuit of human endevors? Because, they totally are not.

The new space race is on, and everyone in the First World is too stupid to see it.

The country or conglomerate that gets out there first and gets their stake in orbit will control the atmosphere.

A countries elite with egos like those in China cannot allow that to happen. They've been shamed because they MISSED some of the biggest calls in the last 200 years. And it has hit them hard. A country with China's rulers cannot knowingly stand aside and miss the keyhole they have to stake their place.

Anyone with any long term sense doesn't want to be left out of the biggest resource base we can access, even if it can't be gotten yet.

And that's all outside our atmosphere.

Control the atmosphere, control the power to get at more resources than you can even imagine. Every mineral ever mined on this planet on one asteroid. Enough power to drive the entire solar system and have some left over to spare.

The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth isn't a recommendation. It is a warning.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Who cares what flag is planted on the moon (if any)?

Our more urgent issue is to save mankind and the planet earth.

If we manage to completely wreck the earth and ourselves in the process, there won't be anyone left to care what happens on the moon.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Yeah. That's the only consideration.

There is an entire Universe out there full of floating rocks. And every single one of them belongs to those who get there first.

You can keep the cage clean. You can make the cage nice. You can even allow the bird to fly the house. But if you leave the house door open, the bird will still fly away.

The idea that we should all just stop and do nothing but "fix" the Earth is ridiculous on its front. Because the one person who has the resources to ignore that "must do" will be one who will own you later because that person will own the rest of the freakin' universe and by the time you've "fixed" the Earth, you'll look up and realize you've just made your prision cell real pretty.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
"And as you talk to us from the Sea of Tranquility, it inspires us to double our efforts to bring peace and tranquility to Earth."

This statement is coming from a President who was senselessly bombing the hell out of Vietnam and Cambodia at the time. When you're on a roll with lie after lie, it's tough to stop.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by SphinxMontreal]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

The irony didn't escape anyone at the time.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I doubt anyone would take the flag down, if it's even still there.

Maybe one day we'll see something like this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3062f44a5ac3.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join