It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Red Doors...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I was driving home from a bar tonight and I noticed on my street that there are now 2 doors that are painted blood red. I do not know what to think of this phenomena, but I would guess it has something to do with the mystery of the color. A red door symbolizes some sort of defiance, a statement that suggests that home is marked for something. It brings to my mind some sort of asian influence, some sort of royal sign of power, wealth, and prosperity. I honestly have never seen doors bring such a character to a home, it is really something to see. My question to anybody that frequents this site, is if this specific shade on a door is commonplace? In my opinion I am sort of stumped on the whole occurence in general and felt that it should be known that these sort of displays of emotion are occuring in a neighborhood near you. People are expressing themselves in odd but intriguing fashions, and I do not think this particular instance with the doors is something that pertains to some race, class, or age. I would like to know if you have any similar patterns in your neighborhood developing like this one? To me this is exciting stuff, I mean I would not start a thread and rant about some door unless it was stimulating me on some level. I think it is important to understand our locals and what makes them tick, every statement is unique and important and like alot of wise people say, "part of the grand design."

SVE

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I recall that painting your door red was to ward off evil spirits, not sure where this originated from.

I've thought about painting my door red, not for any reason other than that red would look good on my door.

Sometimes it's as simple as that.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

You got a point there, Red does look good and alot of doors. Now, with the 2 doors being painted red, maybe they were like that for a while and you haven't noticed them, maybe one was painted, and the other owner seen it and liked it. there are alot of maybe's here

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
How many doors are colored another color but you don't notice them because they don't stand out as much as blood red? To me this is similar to when you go to the grocery store and your total is exactly $5.00 or $10.00, etc. Some people are always amazed at that. But in reality it's just as common as any other price.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thedude69

I used to have a white house with black shutters and I painted the door red. I never considered a history behind painting the door that color. It just looked good!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creeping Death
reply to post by Chadwickus

You got a point there, Red does look good and alot of doors. Now, with the 2 doors being painted red, maybe they were like that for a while and you haven't noticed them, maybe one was painted, and the other owner seen it and liked it. there are alot of maybe's here

That definitley went through my mind. The only reason this experience sticks out is that the house which I noticed first is exactly across the street from me. I have lived in my home for over 5 years and the man across the street painted this door only about a month ago. And like you said as I was pulling into my driveway last night I did notice for the first time another home in direct proximity to my house also painted red. I agree that it is possible that the second door I saw has always been like that, but I just did not notice it. The real kicker to this story is that as I was driving today down the street where the second house I noticed was located, I noticed another home with a red door! And yes it is a pimp color but I do not know if I could pull it off!

SVE

[edit on 18-7-2009 by thedude69]

[edit on 18-7-2009 by thedude69]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Might just be a Feng Shui thing.

Red doors

Some Feng Shui practitioners solely advocate what I call 'red door feng shui' and generally recommend a red door regardless of the direction.

Whilst it's true a red door is striking and promotes your fame and reputation you also need to check that the door is south facing. When Chinese homes are built to specific Feng Shui guidelines they ideally face south which welcomes in strong, yang energy. However, here in the West we don't all have south facing homes. So, rigidly sticking to 'red door feng shui' is not always appropriate. Use the above guidelines to enhance your Feng Shui and color of doors.

edit sp

[edit on 18-7-2009 by Absum!]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Personally...

I see a red door and I want to paint it black.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist being that no one else had said it yet!)

I know that Burgundy or Cherry Red would be a common color to denote social class in the West, but this is rarely done with paint, but with stain.

Although one has to ask 2 doors out of how many on your drive home?

I know that at times our awareness focuses in on one specific detail and notices repetitions where it hadn't before. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it is useful to acknowledge and even more helpful if you learn to do it consciously (like pick a color and an object every morning and count how many instances you find...like Black VW Beetles, Pink Ribbons, Orange Cones, Green Pants, Oxblood Shirts, etc.). Eventually your awareness will become more acute as you consciously notice repetitions, even though the repetitions are rarely anything other than coincidental.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
If you read ways to attract buyer to your home they suggest you paint front door red. If it wasn't for the fact that there are not many houses for sale now adays, I would think that would be the reason.

The only other reason is red door is secrect sign, that Mason lives at that location, but were not suppose to post false info right.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by googolplex]

[edit on 18-7-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I have noticed one house on my way home from work that has a blood red door- it does seem to stand out and i find it strange that someone would paint a door that particular color- i had even mentioned it to my brother how i thought it meant something more than just color preferance... can't say that its anything more than that but it looks strange on a brick house--- seems to me as if someone is trying to be noticed or relay secret information about who is staying there.... first thing that came to mind was masons....

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
They were having a sale on Whoops paint

At Home Depot???????

Frankly, i think some people like Red.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thedude69

Hi Guys and Gals,

I began a reply a second ago and hit the wrong button. If it gets posted before this - sorry. So I'll repeat it.

Perhaps it's a "Feng Shui" thing. With all the current crazyness in the world, people are trying "New"??? things. Well new to them anyway. "Feng Shui" is a science which has ben around for a couple of thousand years. It works on the principle of 'Energy'.

Put simply, everything on this planet has energy - it all vibrates. Wood, plastic, metal and especially colour (the colours of the rainbow) all vibrate. Even us - we vibrate - we are energy.

A couple of thousand years ago, the eastern nations seemed to grab a hold of this concept and with it the fact that as our personal energy and vibrations change, the things around us change. "Like" vibrations attract "Like" vibrations (you don't see too many turkeys flying with eagles). They found the system of "Feng Shui" which basically channels good energy "in" and bad energy "out", a bit like breathing, good air in, bad air out.

Now I'm not a "Feng Shui" fanatic, but when you look at the physics of it, it does make sense. Red for example is a colour known to promote enery, to make people get up and go and have more drive (some say red cars even go faster) Salmon pink is a calming colour (many psychiatrist paint their offices in this shade). On the other side, spiders and cocaroaches hide away in the dark spots and dark corners grow mould (nasty stuff), because there is less going on (energy wise). The science is, if you can get that enegy moving where you are (your home or office) then as you are in that enegy field, your vibrations will become better too.

I don't know whether its just in their minds and I've never been that into it, but there are plenty of people out there that swear it has changed their lives and from an 'enegy' viewpoint - I recon it's possible. A good author on the subject, who explains it pretty well is a lady called Lillian Too. She has written a number of books which are worth a read if you are interested.

If not - maybe one guy painted his door red, had a bit left over and gave it to his mate down the street.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pakal...seems to me as if someone is trying to be noticed or relay secret information about who is staying there.... first thing that came to mind was masons....

Nah, they just use masking or electrical tape to put an "X" on their window when they want to do that!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I recall that painting your door red was to ward off evil spirits, not sure where this originated from.

I've thought about painting my door red, not for any reason other than that red would look good on my door.

Sometimes it's as simple as that.

I think it originated pre Moses, lol well at least that is what my limited religious knowledge thinks.

But yea, you are right, it is to ward off 'evil'.

Reply to OP

As far as significance? None in my opinion, could be a color liked by the doors owners or they could be superstitious or religious. IMO there is nothing 'strange' going on.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I grew up in a house with a Bright Red Door. I always liked it...very easy when giving directions, its the one with the red door. Recently moved and the house we just left in the Chicago suburbs was grey with black shutters and a bright red door. It looked really good..especially in the summer when the American Flag was up.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Maybe you were "enlightened" from your bar experience that night and just began to notice things you don't normally pay attention to.

Now if you saw a bright pink door. That would be cool.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
What direction do the doors face? It could be a Feng Shui thing:

fengshui.about.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazystars
What direction do the doors face? It could be a Feng Shui thing:

fengshui.about.com...

I noticed this idea earlier in the post, and the door directly across from me does face "south," which is from what was stated earlier a sign of true Feng Shui,

"Whilst it's true a red door is striking and promotes your fame and reputation you also need to check that the door is south facing. When Chinese homes are built to specific Feng Shui guidelines they ideally face south which welcomes in strong, yang energy. However, here in the West we don't all have south facing homes. So, rigidly sticking to 'red door feng shui' is not always appropriate. Use the above guidelines to enhance your Feng Shui and color of doors" (Absum!).

So there you have it, some guy who knew what was up!

SVE

new topics

top topics

join