It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worst Prescription Drug?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It has come to my attention that doctors are prescribing a horrible drug to many people and most of you probably don't even know it. I did a search and nobody has really talked about this drug and I really feel it should come to everyones attention.

I'll rewind the story a bit so you know how I learned this information. About 6 months ago my wife got MRSA on her upper leg. It is terribly painful and so hard to get rid of. Then a got MRSA on my nose. Let me tell you, it's one of the most painful things I have encountered. It obviously made my nose hurt but also gave me the worst headaches immaginable that would make even the insides of my ear and teeth hurt and would not go away with even a 800mg motrin. It also gave my right eye pain and it was so sensitive to light that I had to sit in a dark room for almost 2 weeks. Went to hospital even though I had no insurance and they gave me Bactrim DS, not only did it not work but I ended up being allergic to it. Eventually it went away on it's own but me and my wife both kept getting re-infected. Finally I decided to try natural remedies so we started taking a liquid vitamin, garlic, apple cider vinegar, and collodial silver. That worked for a while until I got a new infection about 5 days ago.

I went back to the doctors because I am desperate to get rid of this MRSA because it is so painful and quite embarrasing to have a huge nasty looking boil on your nose. The doctor prescribed me Avelox, said take it 10 days, and said the next day I may still feel worse but after that I will get better.

So I go to pick it up at the pharmacy and they tell me I may get swelling on my achilles tendon and if I did sports I could rupture the tendon but it's rare. At first I was like OMG that sounds horrible, but I was thinking man I gotta get rid of this MRSA so if my achilles swells I will just rest.

I took the Avelox the first day and felt no different but when I woke up the second day I felt horrible. Felt like I got hit by a train, I was so dizzy and my legs were hurting me. Since the doc said I would feel worse the next day I went ahead and continued and took my dose on day 2. When I woke up on Day 3 I felt even worse and my legs were really hurting me from the just above the back of my knee all the way to my achilles on both feet. It hurt to walk and I felt so dizzy that I thought I would fall over. I started to have doubts if I should keep taking this stuff because I have never had side effects from a drug like this. I already knew how it felt to get MRSA so I know it was not that causing me to feel that way. But I am desperate to kiil this MRSA so I went ahead and took my dose on day 3 but I told myself if I feel worse on day 4 I was going to quit. So later that day I just started feeling even worse and I knew I did not have to wait till day 4 to decide, I was quiting for sure!

So I decided to research this drug online that night, which was last night. I learned Avelox is in the quinolone family. The quinolone family has drugs such as Avelox, Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin, etc. I also found out rupturing you achilles is not as rare as they say, infact it is happening a lot. This family of drugs is like taking a poison pill. I cannot believe they can pass this off as legal!

Here is a list of Adverse Drug Reactions (ADR) that are common with Flouroquinolone (FQ) users-
PLEASE BE WARNED some FQ ADR's can be permanent, crippling and even fatal. There are numerous tell-tail symptoms that many FQ victims commonly experience including, but not limited to:

Central Nervous System:
- toxic psychosis
- panic/anxiety
- insomnia
- seizures
- tremors
- dizziness
- confusion
- depression

Peripheral Nervous System:
- numbness
- pain
- burning
- tingling
- stinging
- weakness

Musculoskeletal System:
- joint pain
- tendon pain
- tendon rupture
- muscle pain (rhabdomyolysis - a potentially fatal, rapid muscle wasting ADR which may include dark or pink urine)

Cardiovascular System:
- torsedes de pointes (a fatal arrhythmia)
- heart attack
- palpitations (irregular heartbeat)
- bradycardia (slow heartbeat)
- tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)

Immune System:
- anaphylactic reaction (potentially fatal allergic reaction)
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome (potentially fatal autoimmune reaction where the immune system attacks the skin)

Additional ADR's:
renal (kidney) failure
liver failure (potentially fatal)

List courtesy of www.FQvictims.org...

This drug is so bad even the FDA knows it as they have given it a black box warning, it's highest warning. Although it's not like it has actually helped anything. It really should just be banned!

I want to show you a video of a man who has taken a quinolone for an infection

Isn't that sad? This guy is not just a rare case. You can go to www.fqvictims.org... and read the stories. Plus there are other videos on youtube from people who have been affected by this.

Now here is a little documentary about this called Certain Adverse Events. I know some of the info in the video you guys already know, like how corrupt the FDA is.

So I sit here and pray that the pain in my legs go away soon. I get worried because I read stories about people who took the meds and were fine then one month after theire achilles swells up and then ruptures without even doing anything rigorous. I sit here and pray....

I please ask that if you or anyone you know is currently taking a quinolone...STOP NOW! If your doctor prescribes it to you tell him NO!

I aplogogize if this thread is not well written. I am far from a writer and you will probably not see me make a thread this long again. I just really wanted to bring this to everyones attention. I hope you all take time to read it and learn.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Good post.

The smartest thing you can do before taking any RX drug is going online, doing a quick google search, and reading what other people, like yourself, have to say about the drug.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Is there no alternative treatment for MRSA? I don't mean like the silver thing, I'm talking about other prescription medications that could help.

Another thing to consider is maybe this side effect is exacerbated by taking other medications with it. You may be on a pain medication too, right? And you were taking the alternative remedies too. I'm not saying this is your fault because we all do things when we are desperate.

But maybe your medicine has reacted with other things you have been taking too?

Do your research online. Then talk to your Dr. If he won't listen because he thinks you're one of those "internet doctors" then get another Dr. This mess (MRSA) can kill you. Don't mess around and definately get some help. I know that going without insurance sucks ass. I think they have to see you at the ER. I don't know - maybe there's free clinics nearby or call your Dr. and tell them the situation. Maybe they'll help you with a deferred payment plan or maybe even free of charge.

I wish you and your wife well. Good luck!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by uplander
Is there no alternative treatment for MRSA? I don't mean like the silver thing, I'm talking about other prescription medications that could help.

Another thing to consider is maybe this side effect is exacerbated by taking other medications with it. You may be on a pain medication too, right? And you were taking the alternative remedies too. I'm not saying this is your fault because we all do things when we are desperate.

But maybe your medicine has reacted with other things you have been taking too?

Do your research online. Then talk to your Dr. If he won't listen because he thinks you're one of those "internet doctors" then get another Dr. This mess (MRSA) can kill you. Don't mess around and definately get some help. I know that going without insurance sucks ass. I think they have to see you at the ER. I don't know - maybe there's free clinics nearby or call your Dr. and tell them the situation. Maybe they'll help you with a deferred payment plan or maybe even free of charge.

I wish you and your wife well. Good luck!

Actually I forgot to mention another ATS user suggested oil of oregano works to kill MRSA. I guess some UK scientists discovered it and I have tried it today and it seems like it has made progress in healing it already.

When I started the Avelox I made sure to stop taking all vitamins and other things I was taking so basically it was just the Avelox and the Vicodin the gave me for the pain but they said it would not be a problem to mix the two.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Oh yes, the OOO (oil of oregano) is just wonderful. It really does help with a lot of different things, if you can stand it. It is horribly strong and burns.

I have to put it in capsules to even get it down. I buy mine online at www.wonwithnature.com. They are a good company, as far as I know and I trust them.

I hope you get better soon!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I am sorry to hear you have been through so much and continue to, I felt the need to respond to this thread because I think learning as much as you can about a drug before taking it is/can be a life of death situation. My oldest sister took a drug for a while, and although it was helping her with what it was precribed for, she began to suffer other disorders. As the symptoms piled up, and more and more drugs were prescribed to basically fix her symptoms and not even look for the illness, she progressed like this until she could barely breathe and felt that she was losing her mind, only to be diagnosed with primary pulmonary hypertension, and was given 6 months to live. She gave her body to science that they might research this strange illness she had, so that her 5 year old daughter might not suffer like she did should it be hereditary as they told her. It wasn't heridetary, turned out to be caused by the pills, she was taking Redux to lose weight. She was the first case study they had, with her help they were able to determine that Redux and Phen Phen was killing people.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
I am sorry to hear you have been through so much and continue to, I felt the need to respond to this thread because I think learning as much as you can about a drug before taking it is/can be a life of death situation. My oldest sister took a drug for a while, and although it was helping her with what it was precribed for, she began to suffer other disorders. As the symptoms piled up, and more and more drugs were prescribed to basically fix her symptoms and not even look for the illness, she progressed like this until she could barely breathe and felt that she was losing her mind, only to be diagnosed with primary pulmonary hypertension, and was given 6 months to live. She gave her body to science that they might research this strange illness she had, so that her 5 year old daughter might not suffer like she did should it be hereditary as they told her. It wasn't heridetary, turned out to be caused by the pills, she was taking Redux to lose weight. She was the first case study they had, with her help they were able to determine that Redux and Phen Phen was killing people.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that about your sister but at least she helped so that other people would know about the bad effects of those drugs.

I am usually so much better about researching things, even my wife was shocked that I did not research this better. I hope it's just a lesson learned and not something I will regret the rest of my life.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
When I take Oil of Oregano, I mix it with more olive oil, then fill the glass with water for internal. Otherwise it causes intestinal distress being a strong essential oil .

For skin, I mix it with pure Aleovera. Prevents that skin burn.

Cipro and all those are nasty. I have had seizures on them, and went into shock.
They also messed up my hearing. Nasty stuff.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Why didn't they perscribe augmentin?

Did I miss that? Or did it not work for you?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Sorry about your experience. Back in March, I got up and went to work, felt ok just a little tender in my lymph nodes....by mid-day I was laying in the floor and had to be picked up and taken to the doctor. My white blood cell count was over 23000...normal is 4500-9000. Turns out I had pneumonia, urinary tract and kidney infection...long story short, I was prescribed Avelox. 1 a day for 10 ten days. I had no problem with the medicine and was thankful when I felt better over the next couple of days.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by Greenize]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

After finishing a 7 day regimen of Augmentin I wound up back in the ER, it caused a severe case of thrush in my mouth which spread down into my lungs. I am still sick, I cannot afford to be out of work because of this, but, I have gone back to the doc and they gave me 10 days of doxycycline and it seems to be working. I only had an earache and sore throat when this all started, now it has been 3 weeks and I am actually worse than I was, because of the augmentin.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I was given this drug by my Dr. it made me ill with alot of the side effects

you posted, heart palpatations, stomach pain, just to name a few, I

called my Dr., he said to keep taking it till gone, so I did!!! one week

after I finished it up, I broke out in hives, and my throat started swelling

closed, I rush to the hospital, barely being able to breathe, The Dr.

their asked if I had eaten anything new lately, I replied no. She then

asked if I had been on an antibotic, which I had, the avolex. they

finally got everything under control. Now I don't take perscriptions

I try natural remedies, or let the problem run its coarse. Mainly I

try and stay healthy, by diet and vitamins, herbs, keifer, and alot of

water. I learned the hard way, don't always trust your doctor, they

arent pharmisists, they only perscribe meds. Do your own research

and stay healthy, naturally!!! Im a nurse, so it can happen to anyone!!

good post!! STAR & Flag. About the mrsa, its highly contagious, try

natural things, check out the Health Ranger, Mike Adams, he is Good!!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
i think the best prescription drug is gotta be the weed lol. but for real. there are alot out there and some people get hooked for sure. def be careful what you take

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I had taken Cipro (same thing) for an infection. The Cipro reaction was much worse than the infection and I couldn't work for about two weeks. I would take it at night and for three hours and I felt like I was dying. My joints and bones etc.

I'm not sure how long, but I remember going back to work feeling weak and that's when my tendons in my heels starting killing me so bad, I sat on the floor. I don't recall much after that though.

But I did end up going schizo and suicidal and ended up in the hospital. months later, I took off and was on the street for two months. I've been on disability ever since.

It wasn't until a few months ago that I came across a youtube video on it and remembered the tendon pain. I guess I was one of the lucky ones they didn't completely rupture.

I haven't heard anything much about a law suit though. All I heard was about the tendon surgeries. I still don't know what I had that they prescribed me for it. But I know there was some kind of bacterial growth in my sink and toilet. I thought maybe legionares disease. I dunno. Maybe some kind of mold.

I still don't know what permanent damage and doubt I can bring it to court either.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
Sorry about your experience. Back in March, I got up and went to work, felt ok just a little tender in my lymph nodes....by mid-day I was laying in the floor and had to be picked up and taken to the doctor. My white blood cell count was over 23000...normal is 4500-9000. Turns out I had pneumonia, urinary tract and kidney infection...long story short, I was prescribed Avelox. 1 a day for 10 ten days. I had no problem with the medicine and was thankful when I felt better over the next couple of days.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by Greenize]

I am glad everything worked out for you, it's a dangerous drug. I hope that I will be free of any pain soon.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Manuka honey is also known for it effectiveness.

Manuka Honey has gained increased notoriety because of its ability to wipe out the super-bugs associated with MRSA and Staph infections. The nectar secreted by the Manuka Tree (indigenous to New Zealand) contains what scientists call the Unique Manuka Factor or UMF. It is this antibacterial component that sets Manuka Honey apart from other types of honey.
www.associatedcontent.com...

Go to google and type "what natural substance kills MRSA". You will get a host of other natural remedies that's potent in destroying MRSA.

Never take drugs prescribed by doctors unless you have checked out for yourselves its side effects. These days, the lure of financial incentives from drug companies outweigh the hippocratic oath which the doctors have sworn to uphold.

As I keep repeating in my posts, over 100,000 Americans die each year from adverse reactions to FDA prescribed drugs. So if you don't want to be on that list, you have got to take responsibility for your own health and do research before you pop another pill.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I hope yuor conditon gets better...
Ive never taken any weird modern day medication..yet.. but ive seent he commercials on tv! FOR a better nights sleep, for stomach acid/reflux/......may casue paranoia, instetinal bleeding, 72 hour erections, hearing voices, possible heart attack and kidney damage, coclo bleeding, it goes on and on and on. EVERYtime i see the comemrcials, i joke you not, my mouth is dropped open in awe...really it soudns mor elike a dr.kEvorkian sucide pill than it helps anything. I wanted to email for a laugh, Lipotor? helsp yuo sleep better naturally, even though its a BIG PHarma pill...andgive em heads up, in case they arnt aware...you know.i wanted to get a bettter nights sleep, but yuor side effects are to damn risky. Is the pills purpose to help us sleep? or torture us with simulated side effects off overdosing on '___'?

top topics

join