It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Changes May be Slower Than Expected: Discovery Channel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Climate Changes May be Slower Than Expected: Discovery Channel

dsc.discovery.com

The nightmare Global Warming scenario for a Hollywood blockbuster--the Atlantic Ocean current that keeps Europe warm (Gulf Stream) shuts down and triggers rapid climate change ....may not occur as quickly as previously feared.

There is evidence that this current has shut down with some regularity in the past....

The fresh water (from melting ice) stopped the current, cooling the North Atlantic....Cooler temperatures slowed the glacial melt and eventually the ocean current restarted.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I find this to be a truly intriguing article, because even though the premise behind it is that we ARE Warming up on a Global scale, they also agree with the idea that the current alarmist prospects towards such are not only getting carried away, but also that the projected Climate alterations are in fact no different than what has been witnessed in the past, and most notable, in the Pre-Industrial Era.

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This rather interesting article is on accuweather.com currently:

Bastardi Says Snowiest in Over 5 Years NYC to D.C. Posted 2009-07-14 By Joe Bastardi AccuWeather.com Could the "Year Without True Summer" Mean the Coldest and Snowiest Winter in Over Five Years from New York City to Washington, D.C.? According to AccuWeather.com's Chief Meteorologist and Expert Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi, cooler-than-normal weather this summer in the Northeast could point to a cold, snowy winter for the Northeast and mid-Atlantic states. He says the heart of winter will be centered over the area from Boston to Washington, D.C. For people across the Great Lakes and Northeast, this has been the coolest summer in more than a decade. After a period of more classic summer heat in the coming weeks, cooler weather is expected to continue the trend of the "Year Without True Summer." ...

This summer has been unusually cool across the Northeast, northern Plains and parts of the West. Places like New York City and Philadelphia, which are typically warm and humid this time of year, have had relatively cool and wet weather instead. Click on image for larger image. While no single factor is taking responsibility for the unusually cool weather, the combination of El Niño and worldwide volcanic activity over the past six to nine months may have played a role in causing this trend. The El Niño is a global atmospheric event that takes place over the equatorial tropical Pacific Ocean. The warming of the waters in that area can result in pattern changes globally, having a major effect on the weather across the United Sates, especially during the winter months. People have been commenting on how the "Year Without True Summer" has been affecting them on AccuWeather.com's Facebook site. The following are a few of the remarks:
* Robin from southern Maine said they aren't swimming or doing much outside, and camping is no fun in the rain.
* Vince from State College, Pa., pointed out that the Centre County Gypsy Moth website says that a rainy spring has caused the gypsy moth population to collapse due to an increase in a moth-killing fungus in many areas of the county In years past, cooler summers have been followed by harsh winters. Temperatures in New York City did not top 85 degrees in June this year. There have only been three other times in recorded history when New York City failed to reach 85 in June. In each of those instances, snowy winters followed.

Rather than provide the link, I have pasted the article, since the articles change frequently.
Although not directly related to global warming, the article does show how fickle mother nature really is.

link to map:
vortex.accuweather.com...

[edit on 18-7-2009 by ProfEmeritus]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Except that the North Atlantic and North Pacific are warmer then normal by about 2 degrees.

So does that mean we have to go back to the ice age thoery of the 1970's

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
its not just slowing, this was the coldest winter and summer in recent history! mars is showing the same activity! it has more to do with solar activity, and earth's motion. SOME with geothermal energy and 1% or less has anything to do with human activity. 97% of all greenhouse gas is water vapour. YES CLOUDS

Al Gore is a genocidal fascist malthusian! he wants to profit from pollution and depopulate the rest of us! WWF is same agenda

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Right now it is 58 degrees in July in KY. Years ago when I moved here, it would be 80/90 degrees and I'd be trying to stay cool. I've been wearing a jacket the past couple of days in July. I would've never thought of doing that before. I definitely do not see any signs of global warming.

new topics

top topics

join