It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Gold Coins to be minted in USA.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I just heard a public service announcement on AM talk radio in Seattle that the United States Mint was going to start producing Australian Koala Gold Proof Coins.

I was not aware of the US mint making anything other than US coins.

I could be wrong and the US mint makes other countries coins all the time, but it just felt weird to hear it.

I am looking if this has any merit for a post in one of the main forums.

If someone could confirm this for me I will have more on it.

PS if someone would like to research it and make their own thread about it I do not mind at all.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by wiredamerican]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Is this the one you are referring to?

Linky

I can see the P marking that stands for the Perth Mint but there is also what looks like an SB lower down on the tree branch.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The US Mint does indeed mint other coins for other counties.

I once had a "gold" nickel, which was a US nickel stamped on another country's blank. It was while looking into its value that I found out about minting other currencies.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

ooooh... that sounds nifty!

how much was it worth btw?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
The US Mint does indeed mint other coins for other counties.

I once had a "gold" nickel, which was a US nickel stamped on another country's blank. It was while looking into its value that I found out about minting other currencies.

Thanks for your input. I guess this was a false alarm on me and this does actually happen all the time. It feels a little less weird now.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by wx4caster

I had been offered as much as $500 by various coin dealers, of course this was around 1992 when gold was much more affordable. Not sure I could actually part with it as no one would give an honest answer to its value.

I guess it would be worth as much as a person was willing to pay and the other was willing to accept. Sadly for me, its value became 5 cents as several moves have removed it from my possession.

new topics

top topics

join