It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Walter Cronkite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Not a conspiracy, I know, but wanted to give my respects to one of the greatest men of journalism and reporting to have appeared on the media screen. He died after a battle with Cerebrovascular disease.

More information to follow as it is released to the public.

Please feel free to share videos of him you enjoyed and could see his passion for reporting in.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
News Source-->

NEW YORK – Walter Cronkite, the premier TV anchorman of the networks' golden age who reported a tumultuous time with reassuring authority and came to be called "the most trusted man in America," has died. He was 92. CBS vice president Linda Mason says Cronkite died at 7:42 p.m. Friday with his family by his side at his home in New York after a long illness.
He was the face of the "CBS Evening News" from 1962 to 1981, when stories ranged from the assassinations of President John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. to racial and anti-war riots, Watergate and the Iranian hostage crisis.
It was Cronkite who read the bulletins coming from Dallas when Kennedy was shot Nov. 22, 1963, interrupting a live CBS-TV broadcast of the soap opera "As the World Turns."

Link

[edit on 7/17/2009 by Sliadon]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I liked Walter Cronkite

RIP to one of the last REAL journalists out there.

You Will be missed!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Walter was a one-of-a-kind....back in the day when they still had news.

Although I was very young at the time, this video of him made a lasting impression on me: to see a professional journalist fighting tears:

Mr. Cronkite, R.I.P.

(other youtube videos of Mr Cronkite here
www.youtube.com... )

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Thank you DontTreadOnMe for your contribution. I must admit I got chills re-watching that video. I wasn't alive when the Kennedy assassination happened, but have seen that video before and it is truly difficult to watch someone have to hold back like he did.

A video I have always enjoyed of Mr. Cronkite was this one,

www.youtube.com...

My mom grew up and was able to watch the moon landing coverage on TV when it happened and she recalled it being one of the few times she ever saw her father (my grandpa) cry. The other time being similar to the video posted above when Kennedy was assassinated.

Mr. Cronkite was at the front lines of so many important moments in American and world history.

-Sliadon

[edit on 7/17/2009 by Sliadon]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
A whole era in journalism passed shortly after Cronkite left CBS in 1981, but it wasn't until last night that I realized how much we, as a country, have lost.

Cronkite reigned at a time when honesty, integrity, and at least the attempt at objectivity ruled broadcast news. People from all across the political spectrum tuned in to see him every night, and trusted that "that's the way it was."

Today our partisan, bickering news sources blatently pander to our biases and we accept that that's the way it has to be.

Cronkite and his contemporaries are sorely missed.

top topics

join