It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walter Cronkite - Best News Anchor Ever - Just Passed Away - RIP

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
He lived a long life and betrayed his nation.

Jane Fonda must be beside herself.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

how did he betray his nation?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The Ocean Reef Club will sorely miss you Walter may you rest in peace along with the memories of a kinder, gentler more simple time.

And that's the way it was July 17th, 2009.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Iconic News Man, Walter Cronkite, dead at 92. Now he must of had one hell of a life in those 92 years. This man covered World War II, JFK, the moon landings, and the Vietnam War. These were some of the most important times during the last century and many would claim that Cronkite covered these events with the intelligence and professionalism that journalists lack today. At least when you saw a Cronkite report, one knew they were getting the straight-story.

However, one thing that doesn't sit well with me was how the man told the world that soldiers lost the war in Vietnam after Tet 1968. He had no business making that judgment. For one, he was not a military mind and subtly spat in the face of the US service member still fighting and dying over there in Vietnam. Plus, it turned out that the Tet Offensive was a strategic failure and the US restored order after the assault.

Even though the offensive was a military failure for the North Vietnamese Communists and Vietcong (VC), it was a political and psychological victory for them because it dramatically contradicted optimistic claims by the U.S. government that the war was all but over.

www.u-s-history.com...

He made an already tense situation even worse by using his credibility and reputation to push his own political agenda. So this event tarnished a stellar career and should have been avoided. Other than the aforementioned misjudgment by Cronkite, he was a great news-man. However, my favorite is Edward Murrow. For everyone out there in TV land "Goodnight and Goodluck."

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
uhhh, who? His last name sort of sounds like a candy bar but I've fairly sure that's not what he's about.

Not sure where you are from but to us Americans, he was one of the last people who cared about being a real journalist in our media. The loss is a great one, with it goes the loss of journalism in America as a whole.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
He lived a long life and betrayed his nation.

Jane Fonda must be beside herself.

Could you let him cool off a bit before you tear him to shreds?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The contrast between Cronkite and "Fox and Friends" is staggering beyond belief. I wish I could say we've come a long way, but it's actually the exact opposite. Must have been depressing for him to witness news turn into such a useless circus of freaks.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

A mere statement of fact and it is the last I'll have to say.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
i really enjoyed walter's unbiased tone of voice when reporting.
he really was a cowboy of times, and his voice triggers a positive feeling when i hear it.
good speed to you whom displayed a very respectable level of professionalism.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Woooahh when I saw this I had a heart flutter, I swear he died about 2 years ago ? is this one of those anomalies of time fracture ?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It's been about three hours, and there's still no news link in the original post? This death is important, but seriously, meet the forum guidelines or post it in another forum, don't post it here just to garner more attention and points.

Regardless of who Walter Cronkite the man was (I have no stance since I hear too much from both sides to differentiate), you cannot deny the work he has done in the media world in his lifetime. My condolences to his family members, and may he rest in peace.

EDIT: Thank you mods.

[edit on 7/17/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
Woooahh when I saw this I had a heart flutter, I swear he died about 2 years ago ? is this one of those anomalies of time fracture ?

Good, I am not the only one then? OH thank heavens, see my Post in something has changed, timeline last page, last post, I swear he died maybe a few weeks to a month ago. I'm glad someone else has had an anomolie with his death...now I don't feel so Nutty...lmao!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

My bad, - about no link - CBS news broke in to Ghost Whisper (only time I turn on T.V.) - and was on my computer - so I started the thread to let others know.

Believe me - points and attention you think is what I am after? Pllleeeeeaaassssee!

Didn't think about trying to find link afterwards - due to it being "Breaking News" on T.V.

Cronkite - deserves to get media attention on his life - but, I sure hope they don't over do it, as they have with Micheal Jackson.

Cronkite lived a nice long life and he broke some of the most important stories in the world during his reign at the anchor desk. I have always admired the man.

RIP

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Had just been viewing the photos that were taken of the Apollo landing sites when this thread appeared. Very sad news. My deepest sympathies to all of Walter Cronkite's family and friends. He was an icon of our time.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
One things for sure, the last of a great era of truly gifted and wonderful persons are being lost, and the corporate greed of the new eras are what we have to look forward to.

RIP W.C.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'm going to rain on the Walter Cronkite love fest ...

He was just a left wing news reader. He may have been a journalist to begin with but in the end he was just someone with a good voice who sat on a tv set reading from notes sitting in front of him.

(He was one of those who blocked wind mills off the coast of Massachussetts (Kennedy was the other one) because it spoiled the view.

Somewhere his PR people got the notion rolling that he was 'the best and most trusted journalist ever' .. and it's catchy and people people liked it. But he was just a news reader with a good voice.

IMHO

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Originally posted by mazzroth
I swear he died about 2 years ago ?

I swear he died maybe a few weeks to a month ago.

Yep ... same here. I thought he died a month or so ago.
Add this to the 'something on the time line has changed' thread.
(or whatever the title is

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

www.timeanddate.com...
From and including: Sunday, August 7, 2005 - Peter Jenning's Death
To and including: Friday, July 17, 2009 - Walter Cronkite's Death
It is 1441 days from the start date to the end date, end date included
Or 3 years, 11 months, 11 days including the end date

you're all naive to this..
and missing out on something really incredibly cool to check out...

the "temp-lars (time-lords)" plan AND IMPLEMENT.. everything according to perfected chronology.. ie: Chronomancy.
just as masonic monuments are placed at specific auspicious distances from one another.. ie: Geomancy..
(google it)

every major event in your history is tied to other similar events through auspiciously numbered days.

but .. then again.. you wouldn't take the time to notice now would you?

for more information on repeating-digit auspicious time-spans...
with hundreds of mind blowing pop-icon examples ...
watch the video Chronoclysm in my signature link.

it's very important.. and very fascinating to observe.

-

[edit on 18-7-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Murrow who was before my time and Cronkite who I grew up with were like bookends...I think it was Brinkley who was no slacker himself who said goodnight and good luck.

I said on my thread about Uncle Walter that while its cliche...we need more, far more like him.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
He was basically a left wing Bill O'reilly. Yet, because he is a liberal he gets a pass on it. None of his reporting was objective and he always had an agenda.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join