Ray Kurzweil - Transcendent Man

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Many of you are familiar with controversial futurist and technological singularity proponent Ray Kurzweil.

This is the trailer for his upcoming documentary film ...

Description from youtube link:

Transcendent Man introduces the life and ideas of Ray Kurzweil, the renowned futurist who journeys the world offering his vision of a future in which we will merge with our machines, can live forever, and are billions of times more intelligent...all within the next thirty years

I honestly don't know enough about the man and his work to have a position, still, I found the premise of his work to be fascinating to say the least.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Hmm, I thought he was coming out with a movie based off of one of his books The Singularity is Near.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Like most visionaries Ray Kurzweil is very misunderstood. The thing that scares most people is how he intertwines technology, philosophy, and theology. I for one think that in the future, people will see him as the genius that he is. Often I am reminded of how people treated Tesla and his ideas.

This is a very interesting talk he gave about "technology will transform us"...

Inventor, entrepreneur and visionary Ray Kurzweil explains in abundant, grounded detail why, by the 2020s, we will have reverse-engineered the human brain and nanobots will be operating your consciousness.

View Video here: www.ted.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by I think Im normal
Hmm, I thought he was coming out with a movie based off of one of his books The Singularity is Near.

You are correct ...

The Singularity is Near is being released September 9th.

Interesting, two documentaries to be released in relatively close succession.

I guess he's in a hurry.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I only know a little about Kurzweil, but he seems like a smart man. I think a lot of his predictions about the future will happen, but I think some of them will take a lot longer than he does. For instance, he thinks people will put themselves into machines/computers within our lifetime, but I think he is too optimistic. I don't see why it couldn't happen someday, but I really doubt I'll live to see it.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
For instance, he thinks people will put themselves into machines/computers within our lifetime, but I think he is too optimistic.

More than think it, he's championing it.

At the onset of the twenty-first century, humanity stands on the verge of the most transforming and the most thrilling period in its history. It will be an era in which the very nature of what it means to be human will be both enriched and challenged, as our species breaks the shackles of its genetic legacy and achieves inconceivable heights of intelligence, material progress, and longevity.

singularity.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Here's an interesting recent Q&A for those who are interested in Ray Kurzweil:

[edit on 17 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I read one of Kurzweil's books (The Age of Spiritual Machines) and I find the material quite convincing. I also happen to play music using a synthesizer of his design

Ray is right.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by buddhasystem]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Ray is right.

Agreed, perhaps not about the pace but definitely about the destination.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I just finished his latest book, "The Singularity is Near", and it blew my mind.

It is, I believe, the most profound, near future prediction, that most of humanity has never heard about. The first 1/3 of the book is thick with the evidence to support his argument that by 2029, we will have "computers" (nothing like what we have today, mind you) that will effectively be conscious human beings (minus the physical body).

After that, all bets are off.

Humanity will quickly transition (transcend) from our bodies to...eternity. The acceleration of technological, scientific knowledge will advance so fast it defies human understanding. We will advance more from 2029 to 2050 than we did during our entire existence on Earth. It's essentially the next stage of evolution, on an accelerated pace the likes of which nature has never witnessed.

And in the blink of an eye, Human 2.0 will expand out into the Universe at, if not beyond, light speed.

This guy is 100% serious, and a certified genius with a proven track record of inventions and creations and patents, etc. He's not a nut case. He's a prophet.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

We will advance more from 2029 to 2050 than we did during our entire existence on Earth. It's essentially the next stage of evolution, on an accelerated pace the likes of which nature has never witnessed.
He's a prophet.

He isn't a prophet, just excellent at predictive modelling. Maybe that is a modern day prophet, he has Hollywood stars flocking to him as we speak, the Deepak Chopra of technology.

SD you still onto this singularity stuff? KEWL!!!

For all his cleverness (and I really mean that, he is incredibly smart) he can show us how we will advance, but not WHY we need to advance.
I am not a particularly 'spiritual' person, I do currently adhere to a premise, that is all 'existence' are required as a function and all existence is evolving. All evolution is a result of need. So WHY are we (all life not human only) needed? Is it random? evolution is a repeating pattern to suggest otherwise.
Evolution creates a capability to advance to the 'next 'stage' What is the next stage? WHY is advancement required. What "need" are humans satisfying?

As biological machines we have evolved very slowly, Kerzweil lists biologically the following as our developments, skull size, thumb usage, and weakening of jaw. Our brain is now dedicated to the cerebral cortex to allow reasoning and create hierarchical structures.
Biological evolution consists of 10 000's of bytes of information in current hominoids, that enable us to evolve culturally and technologically.

The progression of human measure of work activity is a smooth and predictable s curve .
www.youtube.com...
Humans as a biological collective are able to be predictive modelled. So he is not a prophet, rather he understands predictive modelling.
He predicts the intersection of biology with technology. I would add it is still currently controlled by the biological entity, the biological result of the "why" allowed us to move into technological and cultural evolution. Technological advances to come are a result of biological evolution.
so what "need" did bilogical evolution satisfy?

All of this is still done as humans, and our required function. Why is it required? What is the "need" that propagates infinite evolution. To me it appears that the environmental need is not what is resulting in our technological evolution, rather, its a 'need' to replicate the system we already are in. That we are indeed still bound by the function in the universe to propogate inifinty. The need to understand self. We dont know why we are (f) functions, so we continuously look for how functions work, replicating the system infinitatly.
I am not saying anything is wrong with that, just important to consider WHY we evolve not just HOW we will.

EDIT to add, there is no destination? Our model of evolution is infinite .

[edit on 11-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
He was just on Stephen Colbert, last night.

I like this guy. Bringing some light to a very real phenomenon which must be 'dealt with' (understood).

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Ray is right.

Haven't looked at this thread for a long time, but want to comment -- in fact I think the pace is pretty staggering. There seems to be an almost complete overhaul of technology every 2 years, be it in servers, cell phones, or even paradigms.

I could never imagine systems like Kinect 5 years ago.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 13-4-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Ray is right.

Haven't looked at this thread for a long time, but want to comment -- in fact I think the pace is pretty staggering. There seems to be an almost complete overhaul of technology every 2 years, be it in servers, cell phones, or even paradigms.

I could never imagine systems like Kinect 5 years ago.

Isn't Kinect very similar to the Eye Toy?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I went and saw a panel discussion on this documentary with Ray Kurzweil, Michio Kaku, Deepak Chopra and other noted scientists and inventors this past week. I also watched the documentary. I have to say that it gave me MUCH to think about, and I would have a hard time arguing against his projections. I just hope we hit the 'singularity' before I kick the bucket!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

It will be an era in which the very nature of what it means to be human will be both enriched and challenged, as our species breaks the shackles of its genetic legacy and achieves inconceivable heights of intelligence, material progress, and longevity.

Yeah,right. It will be the end of era of Human. There is no need to dance around it - we are flesh and spirit, hormones and intellect, instincts and calculations. Take one side away - no matter how you improve the other one,it will not be the same.
It is not Transcendent Man. It is Artificial ,well, Something.
Humanity will die, what will achieve (maybe) heights of intelligence ,material (not spiritual - he is not even hiding it) progress and longevity will not be Human.
Our grand grand kids will be network of machines.
Sorry to burst shiny bubbles.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I'm sure Cro-Magnon man felt the same way... As is stated in the documentary, you either accept the change as it comes, or you get left behind... There is no tangable evidence that we will lose our humanity in the process. Hollywood is NOT full of prophets!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I'm sure Cro-Magnon man felt the same way... As is stated in the documentary, you either accept the change as it comes, or you get left behind... There is no tangable evidence that we will lose our humanity in the process. Hollywood is NOT full of prophets!

The TINY difference is that Cro-Magnon had no choice. We do. And you cannot be Human when all the squishy parts that interact with other squishy parts are not there since tiny shiny thingy can support all the really important functions ,without all that hormonal non-sence. Try to think what awaits on this road, it is really not hard and has nothing to do with Hollywood. Individualism and Humanity will be lost since function will be the only thing that matters and they interfere.
It is way to soulless hive. Do you want to be immortal ant? What for??

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Man is at his best when he is NOT a slave to his hormones and 'squishy parts'... and who is to say that this marks the end of the squishy parts? It might just be the transition into controlling the squishy parts to serve us better. Alligators and crocodiles do not age. The aging gene is missing in their genome. It is therefore not only possible, but probable that we will also gain control of this pesky gene and stop the aging process as well. Will this make us less human? No, just older, wiser and smarter than our idiot ancestors...

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join