It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A system where control is in not having control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I am not sure if this is the right board to be placed in.

I have been thinking a lot lately about the way we go about our existence, why we do what we do, or follow what we follow and I came up with this.

When will everyone not just the powers that be realize that we are pawns in the system? The system put in place by something or someone, now has a life of its own. It goes back to the example of placing five monkeys in a cage with stairs leading to a banana.

You know this one:

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a Banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will Go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches The stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water.

After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result - All the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another Monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a New one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous Newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.

Why not? Because as far as they know, that's the way it's always been Done around here.

Using this example, the system in which we live, is now its own living breathing entity. My whole point to this is, everyone needs to wake up, not just those we label sheeple, but the powers that be, because they are also sheeple in this system just doing what is asked. Why? because that's the way it's always been done. Don't ask questions or you will be sprayed with water. Don't look over there or you will be sprayed with water. Don't do this, don't do that, you don't need a reason why, just follow the pack!

When this system was created, do you think the thing or the being's who created it knew it would eventually come to a self sustained living breathing entity? Until we all see that this is how it is, we will never approach the stairs, but rather continue to not see the system for what it really is.

Two examples of what I believe are systems that are living breathing self sustained entities. government (not the people, but the ideal), Religion.

A system where control is in not having control.

Whats your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I think in today.

Obama seems to be pulling the same type of scenario, by calling upon people to change their lives from kids on xbox and bedtimes.

Although it's a pretty sensible thing to say, it's a stepping stone to dependance.

Soon enough we'll be asking Dad for permission to do something, or see what he thinks is the right choice, and stunt our individual thinking for ourselves. (redundant lol)

(This isn't political trolling mods, it has nothing to do with dem rep or whatever, just stating an example
)

We still get it though, you can't dare speak about racism in america, without being considered a racist, because you will mispeak, and someone will call it.

Although, evolution gets bashed by the sheer fact most people loathe the idea of coming from monkeys, whilst they have no problem with being put in the same thought process as a monkey, that their okay with

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
perhaps in certain circumstances group discipline should not be thought of as a depravation of instinct but as a prevention of instinct.

lets say there were 5 people in the cage all starving, there was only one banana. what happens if there is no cold water to be sprayed. i'll leave it up to your imagination.

its interesting how people will contest the harshness of reality but also contest the reasons for conformity.

backwards logic... hypocritical logic.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
you must be prepared to accept the consequences of reality if not prepared to accept the consequences of conformity.

though in this day and age you hardly get a choice.

[edit on 17/7/09 by spearhead]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

I think it would then come down to two things,

one, they all become extinct, because they chose to not do what they had no reason why they should not be doing.

two, this is what I would like to see happen, someone CHOOSES to approach the banana and change is made.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by I think Im normal

change is evolution~ one in a million succeed.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Haha

Then in your opinion with our current system, are we as humans destined to succeed or doomed to fail based on current and past trends and human tendancies?

Editing to rephrase the question.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by I think Im normal]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by I think Im normal

im sure we will succeed. indepently you will die, but human life will succeed.

top topics

join