It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What a Catch: Girl Pulls Fish Twice her size

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
macedoniaonline.eu...

There should only have been one winner. On the riverbank was Jessica Wanstall, 4ft 10in tall weighing less than six stone (84lb) and something of a tiddler among anglers.
In the riverwas a monster, a near 9ft catfish that hit the scales at a record 193 lb.

But despite its size and whiskery age, the fish was no match for the skills of 11-year-old Jessica who waged a 20-minute battle to land her prize.

Jessica, from Kent, hooked the fish during a trip with her father to the Ebro River in North-East Spain. She said: ‘I didn’t realise just how big it was until I saw the photos afterwards. I look tiny next to it.

‘My dad thought it was going to be a small one and I told him it didn’t feel small when I picked up the rod. It was really hard work pulling it in and my arms turned to jelly.

What a fish!! As passionate fisherman and sometimes flyfishing guide and outfitter;
I love to see the young people outdoors with a fishing pole in their hands. And what a sportsman the young lass turned out to be sending her catch alive back to its watery den to spawn more monsters. With our dwindling resources, I want to
encourage catch and release fishing. Keeping a few for the frying pan is great but catching and killing just for the sake of photos with a long stringer of fish is wasteful. Thanks and tight lines from whaaa.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was absolutely bracing myself for the bad news about what happened to the fish. I was relieved that they released it. Great example of 'sport' fishing. I am amazed that she was able to handle the monster.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

As big as that cat was....

Check out this 646 lb. world record.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I catch 5lb'ers here in the Rio Grande on a 5wt. flyrod frequently and they are a struggle to land.

Currently I am into catching big Carp on a flyrod. Great fun!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I live in Louisiana and it has been really hot, so we have been tubing and swimming in the rivers around here, where people catch a lot of catfish also.

All I have to say after seeing these pictures is that I am never going swimming again, unless it's in a pool!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Same here, back in Australia my best was just over 5 pound but its a different species. But now im in Belgium im looking forward to buying some kit and targeting those famous Wels catfish.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Not to worry Blanca Rose...
I have never heard of a catfish eating anyone.
Check this out....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
How drunk do you have to be to do this???

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I am never swimming in waters with cat fish again. And that huge one from msm is scary big.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I'm calling bull. There is no way that girl reeled in that fish in 20 minutes. Unless they harpooned it and tied the other end to a pickup truck.

I never caught a wels catfish or know anyone that has. But typically cats are good fighters. And something that large is not going to get bullied in.

Not saying she didn't catch the fish, but saying that fish was landed in 20 minutes would be a stretch for even the most skilled angler.

top topics

join