It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cars to be started by lasers instead of spark plugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Scientists at Liverpool University and engineers at car giants Ford have developed a new ignition system which uses focused beams of laser light to ignite the fuel.
The researchers claim the technology is more reliable and efficient than current spark plug technology and will enable cars to start more easily in cold and damp conditions.

It is understood that Ford, the world's fourth largest car manufacturer, hopes to put the laser ignition system into their top of the range vehicles within the next couple of years before making it more widely available.

Telegraph

Laser can provide an unbelievably hot "spark" in the combustion chamber, this is good for both mileage and power.

My only real question is the durability of a laser in a car, much less the ability of fiber-optic cable to live in the combustion chamber.

Laser's, not just for Sci-Fi geeks anymore......

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Anything that can render the internal combustion engine more efficient is exciting on its face, but the reality is that our politicians will not be happy until America is rid of internal combustion engines and all the advances in the world will not change that agenda until the American people get the fruitcakes out of office and get some people running this country who have a firm grip on reality.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Interesting. I guess I wont have to replace spark plugs in the future.
If they got good intel, I bet they could have extremely reliable long lasting lasers.
I'm sure there have been many ideas that could make the internal combustion much more efficient, but for obvious reason it's never mainstream.

new topics

join