It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Post, Flag Contribution Conundrum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I have been considering doing a large write up that will take some effort. A thread along the same line was posted by someone else a couple of years ago. A lot of misinformation was presented in the original thread (which quickly petered out) and part of my goal is to clear some of that up with new data.

Here is my dilemma. I have no problem reviving the original thread by adding my research to it except that if you look at my flag contribution badge it is completely nickud’. This is because I tend to contribute to ATS by answering technical questions in other peoples threads as apposed to starting my own threads.

ATS obviously holds flag contribution level in high esteem since it is the only scale blatantly displayed on member’s posts, so I’m feeling a little like a non-achiever.

I’m therefore wondering if I should go to the considerable effort of posting my research in someone else’s thread without receiving flag recognition or if it would be appropriate to start my own thread.

Advice anyone?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If there is a lot of misinformation and the thread is over two years old, maybe it NEEDS to be re-hashed....thanks for bringing it up though because I've had the same question...but you know, it's not about the flags.

There are some really good discussions going on right now about how important flags are...but I know where you're coming from...I think everyone wants a little recognition....well, most people anyway....

'it's a lot easier to ask forgiveness than permission.' (that's not MY quote.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Guess it depends if you want the flags... I tend to read as much as possible and decide each on their own merit or on whether I think it's an important topic worthy of discussion - ie, sometimes I'll flag a poorly worded/constructed OP if I think it still merits discussion.

I tend to place more faith in someones username than the amount of flags they've received. There's people that don't post often and don't get much attention when they post, but still make really good posts.

In your case though, it might be better to rehash the topic and reference the other thread that you're not agreeing with.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
A lot of misinformation was presented in the original thread (which quickly petered out) and part of my goal is to clear some of that up with new data.

I think it MIGHT be easier for you to just start a new thread about the subject, being the old thread is 2 years old and is full of, as you put it, "misinformation".

Not sure what the subject matter is that you are talking about, but it could just be the original author of that threads "beliefs" that he posted in that thread.

Starting a new thread on a subject that was last touched upon here on ATS 2 years ago would be the better route for you I do believe.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Can't remember the exact policy but I believe that if an existing thread is over a year old you can duplicate the subject matter if you are adding new information and your personal take on the subject.

Usually citing the existing thread in your OP is an appreciated courtesy to the original author.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Thread away! Post away! What's the worst that can happen?

I'm very liberal with my flags and stars. It's not like they cost anything.
But if you acquire enough of them, you can cruise ATS ad free.
If you have a clever tag line; that's good enough for me to flag away.

Oops, I probably should have not mentioned that. Now we will probably have to purchase our flags at the www.theconnextion.com...
with our points.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Looks like the suggestions are unanimous.
Thank you all for your input.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I am going to lean towards the opposite direction here compared to the other posters... if you feel you have a good subject matter to discuss, then yes by all means, share... BUT, if you feel that you should be rewarded, then a resounding no.

I would hope that no one makes a post or thread for the sake of being flagged. If you want your ego stroked, there's other places for that.

Besides, what's a flag anyway? How is that a measure of your thread and research? I for one would rather have numerous posts and responses to a thread of mine... the more posts, the greater the discussion, then apparently the better the thread. I've had threads with little or no flags and yet would span several pages; likewise, I've had threads with little or no posts, and yet numerous flags.

Then again, I've also always found the moderator applause or member U2Us quite gratifying.

Make your own thread. You are putting your work out there, and for better or worse, you are doing this for everyone.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

Yes, I see exactly and agree with what you are saying. There just seems to be a discrepancy between the function of the flags and the importance of them as far as member reputation is concerned.

In other words I see flags as an indication of the importance of a thread topic hence the flag button at the top of individual threads. ATS administration however seems to see flags as an indicator of member reputability, hence the large flag contribution scale across each members avatar.

If I'm to be labeled as (and reputed as) a non-contributor or poor contributor because I don't start many of my own threads then I believe it is in my best interests to start a new thread if I'm going to put considerable effort into the material I intend to post.

As posted above, flags are free and I could give a hewy dewy about them but my reputation is another matter.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The bias towards flags is pretty dumb IMO. I quit worrying about it though, if ATS staff wants to be dumb, let them be dumb.

People have been trying to point out the obvious errors and things messed up with this system since it first started, and ATS doesn't care at all. This thread will probably end up locked, and they will just keep right on ignoring it.

And it's not even a hard fix. I sent them a suggestion on how to fix it. All they have to do is turn the points into a "normalization" point scale.

If they want, just give flags more points than the stars of whatever. 1 flag = 10 points, 1 start = 1 point, or whatever, and then you don't leave people out of it if they don't start threads.

But I think it's all about the money. I do SEO for a living, and I personally think they are rewarding flags only as a way of trying to get people to create more threads. More threads = more pages. More pages = more content. More content = more search engine traffic/results, and that = more money for them.

That is the only reason to have such a system. But it's their site, so what are you going to do? Don't like it, don't participate I guess. However, I don't for a second believe the system is the way it is for any other reason than greed/money.

The funny thing is that they really actually suck at SEO and basically just do things with brute force.

[edit on 7/17/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
From a member POV (not providing an official stand on this), and without taking the flags into account:

I would start my own thread, present my case.
I would probably also link to the original thread in my OP.
The other thread is quite old, you have fresh material, why not start new.
Your posting in the old thread could get lost, especially if the thread is long.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It is every 6 months I believe. Well that is what I was told by a staff member anyways.

new topics

top topics

join