It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Doesn't Want Your Children to Play Too Much Xbox

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

If he wanted to spread the message of ending racism he wouldn't have given the speech at a NAACP event.

On topic.

This is really getting stupid. Many people on here have posted things along the lines of putting the xbox away and everybody agrees.

President Obama says it at a NAACP event and you throw a fit. The fact is that he is right. We all know he is right. Even the OP knows he is right.

Sadly the OP has joined the new hobby of starting a thread for any little thing about Obama and try and make it out to be something HUGE. I don't like him very much, he had done enough things wrong that keep me occupied.

I don't see the need to make up stupid crap. It just makes the rest of those who oppose Obama look like idiots.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Its not about this being completely fascist. Its about unnecessary interjections into the home in an attempt to influence behavior to a way he "deems fit". This is heading down the fascist road, and even if he isn't fascist he still has no ground saying things like this.

you can find as many fundamentally flawed studies as you want to support his unnecessary claims, but it still doesn't change the fact that the president of America is doing some very un-American things.

Things like this should not even be recognized by the president, as he is... THE PRESIDENT! THE ONE WHO IS SUPPOSED TO BE A REPRESENTATIVE OF AMERICA TO ALL NATIONS! and what does he do with his precious public access time? well, lets just say, he uses it less then efficiently.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
your all missing the point that this is the president, and he can speak as freely as he wants OBVIOUSLY, but opportunities for public inquiry arent an every-day thing, and obama has better things to do then GIVE YOU PARENTING ADVICE.

as i said, thats what social workers and leaflets are for.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I think everyone is missing the obvious point. This is just a trial balloon for the upcoming Video Game tax. When you want something to stop or slow down....you TAX it. They do it on cigarettes, they do it on income, now they are coming after the video games, along with chips and soda.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I dont agree with Obama's statment. However, it doesnt make me angry... I mean yes he is telling everyone how to raise their kids and that is not right. What really got me is that he refered to the Xbox. Now I have always been a playstation man... but im sure there a lot of people out there that will be boycotting Xbox now cause Obama said kids shouldnt play for extended times. Like another poster stated " Did Bill Gates not vote for Obama or somthing? " I just think it was unfair to only mention the Xbox. What about those kids that stay up all hours of the night to play PS, Wii, handheld systems or even computers.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Too bad for so many single parents working two low paying jobs just to make ends meet. Xbox is the only babysitter they can afford.

Well, as unemployment increases, parents could have more opportunity to spend quality time with their kids, and with the new massive energy taxes a lot of people will be unable to pay for electricity.

Hey, maybe Microsoft could be the first to develop a first totally green Xbox, one which requires the players to peddle fast to provide the electricity?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What no one seems to grasp is that this is pretty much an official endorsement for the Playstation!

Ahh, I can see the ads now... "Obama doesn't play Xbox, why should you" followed by the "play in our world" logo.

Metal Gear for the masses!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
whats the deal with xbox...
i just heard 360's are illegal in china?
why xbox and not just all video games?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
It has to be because of the continuing red ring of death... with the failing world economy, who can afford to fix all that?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Not Obama or anyone else, politician, advocacy group will tell me how I, as a responsible parent will raise my son. At 39 years old I know what is best for my son. I grew up with computers and consoles starting in the early 80s, as well as being active, playing sports and being outdoors.

My son and I play responsibly when we turn on the Wii (he has not graduated to the Xbox yet). I am rather impressed at his driving skills at age 3 and he is definitely using motor skills to accomplish laps around a track as we play. But we never sit on the couch for hours, in front of the TV playing. I feel there are other things we can be doing.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
my opinion about the whole kids playing games thing is and always has been...i'd rather them be staring at the tv/computer pushing buttons and having fun than going out getting drunk and doing drugs and other things. I'm 30 and for the past 10 years i have enjoyed sitting at home on my computer and playstation and xbox....my mom constantly griped saying i should get out more...yes it is healthy to get out more but if you take something like this away from someone that gets bored easily there is a good chance they will end up doing something they arent supposed to...Just think, you told your 15 year old to stop playing his favorite game and go hang out at the mall or park with his friends even though he was doing nothing wrong but playing a game and having fun...hes mad cause you made him stop so he goes out cause you forced him to and some drug dealer hears him talking about how pissed he is and gives him a taste for free...hey its better than video games and can make that experience more fun and it last long and bla bla bla...the kid is pressured and is so mad he thinks this is a good way to get back at mom for taking away his xbox...weeks later his mom cant get him in the house before midnight and doesnt know where he is half the time and finds drugs and other things in his room and then wishes he was his old self glued to the tv playing his xbox game and going out when he felt like it.

face it..a kid thats mad at their parents are more likely going to take drugs than those that are happy at home...yes they need an education, they need their time split and on a routine..thats fine ...just keep in mind a bored kid is going to end up doing something stupid ....if he or she is happy playing games or roleplaying or whatever and its not hurting anyone...even if you dont agree with it...then whats the problem...they go to school, come home and do their homework study then its off to play their game...as long as their grades are up and behaviour is good no reason to take it away. it helps with hand eye cordination and other things and for people like me who dont like going out in public much and suffer from social anxiety being online and playing games gives me a way to express myself and be myself and have fun without worry or grief. I dont need a nerve pill to sit at my computer and play second life or shaiya....going to walmart better give me three cause that place is like a living hell for me....lol..

[edit on 19-7-2009 by tasim]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Remember the Swine Flu nonsense? Remember how it scared the entire country? What did Obama do? He told us to wash our hands and America listened. Did this decrease the chances of more people getting sick? Possibly.

My point? It's sad when we need someone to tell us how to be healthy...especially when it's coming from the President.

I wanna say we don't need someone to tell us how to live a healthy life, but I get the feeling a lot of people do lol.

We don't need Obama telling us we should get more exercise instead of constantly playing video games...we should already know that...but since so many look up to him as a God like figure, they're willing to refuse to do anything unless commanded by him.

We live in a sad society.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Look, I have been against Obama from the beginning. I oppose economic and foreign policies. I question his right to the presidency. I think he may very well be the anti-Christ (just kidding, sorta) but some of you folks are swatting flies with a sledge hammer.

He is not trying to legislate your home life by making the statement that Americans should 'take responsibility' for their kids. In fact, I agree with him! Kids spend too damned much time playing XBOX, PS3, and WII! They need to go outside and play and get the hell out of the house and go to bed before 1 AM!

That said, how you raise you kids is still your business!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

"putting our kids to bed at a reasonable hour."

This is the particular part that should stick in the craw of any parent with a shred of intelligence. He makes it sound like the children are both his and the parents to raise, which in fact they should never be. If the parents want to let the kids stay up late and play on the 360 that is their ####### choice
When will these so-called progressives on the hill learn to stay the hell out of people's lives, it might very well help them stay in office a bit longer.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by traderjack

yeah, thats just it. You can have as much of an opinion as you want, bust as soon as you get vocal and preachy about it, beyond your duties, is when its unnacceptable.

Its like people making a huge deal out of a person having a cigarette. That person doesn't need to hear from you what hes doing wrong or right everyday, as you don't know wrong from right in the first place.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It amazes me how many people are bashing Obama for saying this, even though most people probably do agree with him on here.

The only reason why this statement is being bashed is because Obama said it, if some person on ATS said something of this nature they would be praised, like the woman who made a thread about taking the tv and videogames from her kids and they started reading and learning, I didn't see anyone bashing her when she gave out good advice.

It's simply ATS as usual. I remember when people actually had legitimate things to complain about on here, and had a good reason for doing so. And had spirited and intelligent debates. Now it's turned into just bash the man and whatever he says just because he's Obama. Thats the cool thing to do these days right.

This has turned into another: Obama wants to control our lives thread.

And you thought it was the people in power fear mongering. I think plenty of that is going around everywhere now.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Ahh seriously... who the hell cares what Obama thinks about video games? Or about parenting? Or about anything else that doesn't have to do with fixing our broken sham of a government?

Or maybe we should take a look at how much of a parent a campaigning, professional politician manages to not be?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

all i have to say to you is:

he does want to control your life.

Hes the president. He's not here for good advice, hes here for social, political, and economic leadership. Not personal leadership.

Nobody made a big deal of this. We aren't arranging an anti-obama rally over the statement. The point of this thread is to detail what the president is doing and saying instead of what he should be doing and saying, all for the sake of a fundamentally flawed principle.

Imposing your worldview on people, especially when its nothing but rhetoric, is inappropriate in this day and age where there are so many bigger things going on.

If you came into this thread ignorant of Obama's apparent lack of concern for the general public, and are shouting positive obama sentiments, maybe you don't realize how this statement about family is utterly useless, with no value at all, when compared to the financial and social policies obama has been forcing through congress since the day he was elected.

Thinking "oh brother, another obama thread" is ignorant... and im here to defy it.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Kevin_X2]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
He makes it sound like the children are both his and the parents to raise...

It sounds like Hillary Clinton's It Takes a Village...no one slammed her back in the day...Just sayin'

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I probably missed my chance for that one, might as well make amends and pick up the slack now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join