It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Doesn't Want Your Children to Play Too Much Xbox

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Obama Doesn't Want Your Children to Play Too Much Xbox

Ironically, President Barack Obama, who put ads in several video games when he was running for President, including the Xbox 360 versions of Madden and Burnout Paradise, is now telling parents to limit gaming hours, especially on Xbox.

In his address at the N.A.A.C.P. convention on the organization's 100th anniversary in New York, Obama warned parents that they must accept their own responsibilities: "that means putting away the Xbox; putting our kids to bed at a reasonable hour."

news.teamxbox.com...

This is absolutely ridiculous. Why does Obama think he is? I know its not just him coming up with these great idea, but common! hes acting like Americas daddy, or... big brother. I cant believe he would take the time out of his day, in the middle of a press conference, in this political and social climate, to spew a bunch of crap like that.

Hop off your high-horse obama, nobody cares for your fascist ideals. The government should not be reaching into your home at about 9 and telling you that its too late for you to be playing your video games. Give me a break!

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Kevin_X2]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I agree. You know as well as I do, perhaps better, that we've been on this slope for a while. Perhaps he should appoint an Xbox Czar and give him the power to turn off all of the Xbox's at about 9 PM. Hmm...I wonder if it'll be ok to still stay up late and play the PS.
I don't get to spend a lot of time with my kids because I have to work a lot to pay for all of the government's Orwellian programs. I really enjoy staying up late a couple hours on the weekends and bonding with my kids over some good ol' cartoon violence.

I reckon since we enjoy it, it's time to limit it.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Talk about a no-win situation!

I thought the Right Wing was totally against Teenage sex and was for promoting abstinence? I thought Republicans would agree that Teens shouldn't be playing their Role-Playing Games (naughty nurse, naughty librarian, naughty nun, naughty cheerleader) on their (Se)XBox, let alone on a school-night!

Seriously though, the Republican Party espouses their Family Values ad nausetum, trying to force their wholesome Nuclear Family model on the nation for years and years, but when a Democrat comes along promoting the very same wholesome Family Values the Republicans back-peddle and say that talking about wholesome Family Values is Fascist? Talk about the Pot calling the Kettle black!

Give a brother a break! For all the things to get your panties in a wad about as far as Obama goes, this is stretching things too far to where it isn't even making a mountain out of a molehile anymore, but just getting upset no matter what he says, even when it is verbatim to what Republicans have been saying.

Now, if people were to say "See! Even Obama said it! We were right all along! In your face Democrats! Sike!" then it would be a different story.

If families are becoming dysfunctional because their children only interact with their XBox, and neglect their education for their XBox until their entire life revolves around nothing but the XBox, and they deprive themselves of sleep to play the XBox, and they poison their bodies with Energy Drinks to stay up without sleep playing their XBox for a week non-stop, and dying because they don't know how to moderate their addiction to the XBox, then that's a real problem that everyone should be concerned about...and I think it goes a long way that Obama didn't blame the Teens but put the blame where it belongs, on the Parents.

Gaming, in and of itself isn't bad. But as with all good things in life, there needs to be moderation. Obama hasn't said that video games are bad. He hasn't said that XBox is bad. He has simply stated that if parents truly care for their children then they should moderate their childrens XBox usage, as that is their responsibility as parents. He has put the responsibility to decide and the responsibility to act on the parents, not on the government.

Besides, pointing out something in a side-statement is a far cry from enacting a law. Are you trying to say that the President is denied 1st Amendment Rights to speak his opinion as you have done? Shame, shame on you!

[edit on 17-7-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
O... is this what God wants us to do... the Anoited one if you will? I have 3 words for Mr. ODumbo... [snip]

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Heck, he should have told them to quit playing so much dang XBox and listening to rap and go educate themselves and get a job and get off of food stamps and welfare. Oh and stop having all your kids out of wedlock.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Promoting family values is one thing. Broadcasting a message to American parents saying "get your kids to bed early, and make sure they aren't playing any of those awful video games" is just dumb. Not only is that FARRRR from what the president should deem his responsibility(especially in today's social and political and economic climate), but imagine being Microsoft and having to deal with this negative comment associated, for no apparent reason, with your console. What, did bill gates not vote for Obama?

The great thing about our country is that we dont have to adhere to the demands of a preaching dictator.

Not that this is an official policy, but we can all see where the countries going when the highest authority gets involved with your child's bed time.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Does that make him a bad man? Oh god forbid...lets not encourage family values, community betterment, health/welfare of the child, etc...Let's just hate because Obama said it...PUH-LEASE!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

don't you think obama probably has more important things to do? like... i dunno, run his country? if he wants to be everybody's daddy he should have got into social services.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X2

don't you think obama probably has more important things to do? like... i dunno, run his country? if he wants to be everybody's daddy he should have got into social services.

If he was trying to be "Daddy" to all american children, then would he not have presented this as possible legislation; as opposed to stating the OBVIOUS, INTELLIGENT thing that ALL parents should be in tune with?

Besides it was a comment made...not a press confreence called just to make that declaration...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I totally agree with the Big Guy. The XBox is rubbish; kids should be spending more time on the PS3.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

no kidding. Nobody said it was a legislation, or that he held a press conference concerning Kids bedtimes. but hes the F$%^ing president of the united states. There's plenty of people known as parents in this country who make it their jobs to raise their kids as they see fit (as is the American way). Obama has no place in the home. Stupid people wont listen to him, and smart people already know better.

So, mr obama, why don't you let the "free people" think for themselves? We don't need to hear your stance on video game usage and cerfu's in the household.

If i was a kid i would just laugh at this. The other thing i know is that kids have brains too, and they know when some dick sticks his balls where they don't belong.

This is just like people condemning you for smoking outside of a building. Mind your own business, what I'm doing here has no effect on you so who are you to say what i should and should not do? even if its a little interjection or an exaggerated cough.

jerks.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
While I agree with what he's saying about limiting your kids time on video games, I'd also have to agree that its not his job to be saying this.

He has much bigger fish to fry than kids playing video games.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well judging by the ignorant and irresponsible replies here, I actually do believe he was right to make that statement.
I bet you guys love the fact that your kids are lodged in front of the screen, poisoning their brains with useless games, atleast that gives you time to watch your mindless tv shows, chuck down your tv dinners and sit here and ramble.

Maybe you're just mad, cause you realise that you yourselves should have been the ones to have made this statement, rather than your "big brother".

How can we have anything but contempt for the next generations, when those who were supposed to RAISE them... show them the world... teach them how to interact with human beings, fail so utterly at that job.

Wars aren't changing the face of the world to the worse... parents who don't do their job and take responsibility are.

Shame on you! Shame on you all!!

[edit on 17/7/09 by flice]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Bush Jr. holds just as much guilt on this issue as Obama. Here are some of his quotes...now granted the word xbox is not mentioned....but he does speak of family responsibility and what is best for the youth of America...so lets make this a bipartisan bashing...OR, realize that it is just an OBSERVATION that HAPPENS to be ACCURATE.

www.ontheissues.org/Text/George_W__Bush_Families_&_Children.htm

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

ignorant? i remember being a kid, and this is the kind of stuff kids hate. And kids should be happy, because they are also humans

I also don't have any kids. But if i did have kids, i sure wouldn't listen to this 'great president' who has already done so much good for the country.

And yeah, i know, hes saving the future of humanity because video games are brain-washing garbage that teach improper etiquette. Well, have you even actually played video games for an extended period of time? I grew up with video games, and i play to this day almost every day, and I'm no better or worse off then any idiot out there who played sports all day. And all those religious kids i grew up with who weren't allowed video games and tv... well, lets just say, if that's considered "healthy" by today's standards then get me the hell out of here!

My kids, were i to have some, would be healthy in that they will have freedom within legal bounds, and make decisions for themselves.

The fact that you think your children are any better for not playing video games until 10oclock means you don't have a clue what your talking about.

where hes failed in being a good president, he will make up in spades by being a proper role model for parents?

give me a break.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I find this both funny and disheartening at the same time.

One, it is not up to him to say how late my kid can or cannot play a game period.

Two, it is up to me if my wife and I so choose to let our son play or not to play said games.

Three, when the line is crossed where they try and press their morals or their so called ideologies on my and the rest of the countries families, they are going way over the line.

my ideology does not have room for someone saying what I can and cannot do when it is not harming others, breaking a law, or minding my and my families own business.

Run the country, not what you feel my morals should be.

Where will this stop?

[edit on 17-7-2009 by I think Im normal]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X2
I cant believe he would take the time out of his day, in the middle of a press conference, in this political and social climate, to spew a bunch of crap like that.

Your president gives a speech about ending racism and discrimination and this is the message you took away from it? You couldn't possibly have actually listened to it, because if you did, you'd know it was just a passing comment rather than the "fascist" dictation of law you frame it as.

And "common", "fascist"? That association alone, dates you terribly. I remember when I was about 10, I called my mom a potato fascist after I was denied ice cream for not finishing what was on my plate; I couldn't sit down again until I was 14.

Hop off your high-horse obama, nobody cares for your fascist ideals. The government should not be reaching into your home at about 9 and telling you that its too late for you to be playing your video games. Give me a break!
[edit on 17-7-2009 by Kevin_X2]

Well, look on the bright side, if you really feel that way it could be worse. If you elected a republican, and you were a woman, it wouldn't be your house, it would be your uterus...

Are you really so afraid that your parents are going to see the speech and take away your video games?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Not surprising...show the kids, whining about Obama, just how their Republican president spews the same rhetoric....and I hear circkets it this briefly active thread.

www.ontheissues.org/Text/George_W__Bush_Families_&_Children.htm

Just in case you missed it. Go read and the eat your hateful words. You don't even have to publicly admit you were wrong...the absence of reply speaks volumes.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Since when is speaking one's mind or stating one's opinion "forcing" anything upon you?

It is an inalienable right in America, protected by the US Constitution, to be able to publicly state one's opinion without persecution.

That goes for the President as well.

The opinions he states at a convention to a select group of citizens (the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) are his own opinions. You are free to ignore them or to listen, as you so choose. No one is forcing you to listen, and certainly no one is expecting you to act upon it.

Displaying a persecution complex in claiming that this statement is trying to force something on you shows a severe lack of emotional maturity to take responsibility for your own emotional response when someone says something that you don't like.

I swear, this is the perfect example of why everything has to come with a legal disclaimer attached that reads "The opinions expressed here are the views of the speaker and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Office of the White House. Reader Discretion is Advised."

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Actually... as a youth (20yo) who prefers oldschool games like Super Mario 3, Street Fighter 2, and Tetris, I see a lot of my friends, peers, and even relatives fall victim to new video games with better graphics, complex gameplay, AI, and a highly addictive property. That's how games are designed now, for retention.

Online and offline gaming is a silent plague, leading kids to have sedentary lives and online personas. I have nothing against a little leisure, but spending hours of leisure playing video games is just not productive...go exercise or something, or at least read a newspaper.

Stay healthy, cuz when the swine flu comes to your area, and you're all sickly and pale with no sun or physical activity, then... sucks to be you.

Put away the xbox/wii/turn of the WoW... suburbia's crack.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join