It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bod Mod Trend: The Bagelheads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Ok. I looked around on here and didn't find anything about this.

You just have to see the article.

Why must we always try so hard to have control over how our bodies or faces look? Even the potential consequences don't deter us from doing outrageous things.

Note: The image IS NOT EXTREMELY GRAPHIC, and I'm not really a prude, IMO, but why would someone DO this to themselves? Can anyone tell me what this is supposed to mean? Give me some insight into what the purpose would be.

Click WIHTOUT a full stomach

Bagelheads isn’t a slang term for my people, the Jews, it’s actually a bizarre new beauty trend in Japan. The country that brought you the husband hunting bra and nose stretcher has now spawned a new body modification trend that looks straight out of a delicatessen.

Come on....Make some sense of this for me.

Edit for 'our' instead of 'are.'

[edit on 17-7-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Yeah...so...im not sure why anyone would want to do that to themselves. But whatever floats their boats I guess. At least its not permanent.

I don't understand it though.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
What the...

I tend to think that anyone who has an obsession with tattoos, piercings, plastic surgery or bagel heads must inherently suffer from some form of either self-hate or narcissistic attention-seeking disorder.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
For those of us who can't access that link, what is a bagel head ?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
What the...

I tend to think that anyone who has an obsession with tattoos, piercings, plastic surgery or bagel heads must inherently suffer from some form of either self-hate or narcissistic attention-seeking disorder.

I have a couple piercings, and a couple tattoos...and I readily admit to suffering from intermittent, though not clinical narcissism...
But....I can understand horns, to look like a mean old demon or something, or tiger stripes to look more like and animal...animals ARE pretty cool...

Sorry...I didn't want to ruin the fun. I should have posted this in the Op.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
LOL! That's pretty funny in my opinion.

The fact that it is a TEMPORARY body modification process that only lasts one day is probably the biggest appeal.

Also note that it isn't very popular outside of Japan. The Japanese mind is perhaps the most foreign concept to Westerners. They are a delightfully odd bunch.

However, when you are living in a city of 13 Million people crammed into 2000 square kilometers (or for the Metrically-challenged, that's about .75 square miles), making yourself different and finding your individuality becomes far more important than it is the in the West. When you are but one in a vast sea of many, you'll do anything to stand out and be memorable.

My 12 year old daughter is begging both her mother and I to allow her to get Ear Pointing Modification done so that she can have Elven Ears. It's apparently a rapidly growing form of Body Mod in the West. It seems odd to me, but it is something that my daughter feels very strongly about and is truly important to her. I asked her to explain and she said that "it's important for my body to represent who I feel that I am. Inside, I'm an Elf. Therefore, my body outside should be Elven too." Who am I to argue with that? It's her body, her choice, no matter how odd it may be to me. However, that doesn't change the fact I told her she had to wait until she was 18.

Post-Script: I showed this to a friend and he decided he wanted this done so that it would look like he had Demon Horns on his head. He did point out that the possibilities for this procedure instead of using prosthetics in costumes is unlimited. I guess that's true.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
thats the wierdest trend i have seen.
what are they thinking when it was done. if i saw them i would bang their heads together and tell them to get a grip. oh it looks like someone beet me to it.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Ha! All I can say is ewwwwwww! lol! That's just.......well.......dumb? I don't get it at all! ....and I just got the absolutely worst visual about these donut heads and I cannot even share it here (pretty sure it would be a T&C violation if I started getting descriptive
)

I love tatoos, though I only have two (the need to maintain professionalism in the workplace
) I'd have many more if I didn't have to put on airs in the office. As far as piercings and all of the other oddities, I cannot roll with that. Certain things come across as art, other as mutilation.....but that's just me :p

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
GOOD GRIEF!

That's actually quite funny, and the two chaps seem pretty happy to have bagels!

This sort of thing just makes me really really want to walk down a busy street in Tokyo, just to see who stands out the most spectacularly! Competition will be huge!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I have my ears pierced and guaged to 8 Ga. plugs, as well as a good amount of tattoo's, and every few months, I grow my mohawk out again

But, I would never do anything that stupid! I have met some people in my time that just do WEIRD stuff. Facial piercings that are just beyond stupid, body modifications like cutting, hacking, stitching, etc.

Subdermal implants (like these idiots have done), and more.

Not only does it look absolutely retarded, but... Well... IT LOOKS RETARDED! lol

I don't know what makes people tick like this. Maybe it's the same thing that makes me love tattoo's, and maybe I have no room to speak? But I highly doubt it. Some people will just do whatever they think will make them "cool".

Sad really.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

The link says it's people who are injected by a professional piercer with a saline solution that causes some ridiculous inflammation and swelling around where it's injected (and the link features a photo of two people with bagel-shaped swelling bulging out of their heads). Apparently the swelling only last a day and then subsides.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
That is the most disturbing thing I have ever seen. At least the guys who turn themselves into cats or tigers are goin after a certain look! But this is friggin absurd. I can't see how having a bagel on your head is appealing. What's next? Eggplants?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I see no difference between this and other forms of self mutilation such as tattooing or ritual scarification.

Young people seem to think that tattoos or other forms of self mutilation is a form of self expression. I've never seen it as such. Even when I was young I knew that these things are superfical and nothing but fads.

But I support peoples freedom to be superficial and follow fads. I guess...

Vas

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

In that sense, I see no difference between this and one of those "temporary tattoos" that kids get in snack foods from time to time. It goes away after a day, its not like they are doing this for a permenant effect. That would be ridiculous and quite questionable.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
This behavior is very strange. Why is it that people would want to alter their body? To be unique? Or is it that they don't like what they see and so they tweak it here and there? I don't get it. This may be some sort of odd behavior that is a result of nuking them into oblivion all those years ago.

new topics

top topics

join