It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LROC: First look at the Apollo landing sites

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So be it! No skin off your back, no skin off mine.
In fact after lurking for a while I dont mind getting in a scuff with you!

Now I guess I will go back to your original quote that sparked my first reply.

The purpose of the mission is to scout future landing sites. It is not to provide eye candy.

That is NOT the sole purpose of the mission.

(CRaTER) will characterize the lunar radiation environment and determine its potential biological impacts.

shouldn't we already know the radiation environment as we have set foot there and physically collected samples?

will provide orbital thermal mapping measurements, giving detailed information about surface and subsurface temperatures (identifying cold traps and potential ice deposits), as well as landing hazards such as rough terrain or rocks.

Again, shouldn't we already have this very data as we have gone multiple times?

The Lyman Alpha Mapping Project (LAMP) will map the entire lunar surface in the far ultraviolet. LAMP will search for surface ice and frost in the polar regions and provide images of permanently shadowed regions illuminated only by starlight.

This object has nothing to do with "to scout future landing sites" yet it as one of only 6 objects (implying to me it is a vital part of the mission).

NASA's site.... not a .org site

etc...

And to be honest some of these do sound like eye-candy, ie google's recent buzz www.pcworld.com...

I understand the deny ignorance theme and you dont want to repeat the same thing over and over! But to deny ignorance yourself, it seems like a one liner that has holes can not be considered you, yourself, denying ignorance by any means.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for that link Phage. I have been studying the camera....

And sensor......
www.kodak.com...

Honestly, are you saying a telephoto lens around 1000mm or 1500mm would have been a deal breaker weight-wise?

(Fixed Focal Length, not Zoom. Simply moving a piece of glass and extending barrel tube.)

Links for above from discussion here:
groups.google.com...

I dunno, but 700mm is not that big in the era of modern photography.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by surgence

CRaTER will extend experiments done on the Apollo missions. The cosmic ray observations done during the Apollo missions were very limited; on Apollo 16 the total exposure time was 167 hours, on Apollo 17 it was 45 hours. Not only will CRaTER make observations over an extended period, providing information on the variability of deep space radiation, it will also perform tests on various materials in that environment. The purpose is to provide information about the dangers and means of protection from the dangers of prolonged exposure on the surface of the Moon.

The Apollo missions (again) gave us very limited information about temperatures on the surface. Only 6 locations (all relatively near the equator) were studied over very short timespans. DIVINER will provide much more detailed information, over the entire surface of the Moon, under wide ranges of sunlight conditions.

The purpose of the mission is not to scout just any landing sites but to look for areas suitable for the establishment of a long term presence (moon bases). If water can be found, it would help tremendously in this endeavor by reducing or eliminating the need to carry water to the Moon. LAMP will help in this determination. It will also conduct mineralogical studies. It is also a test bed for technologies enabling orbiting imaging of planetary surfaces which are not exposed to sunlight.

LRO is not a sightseeing mission.

[edit on 7/20/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
LRO is not a sightseeing mission.

Sorry, I feel like Columbo....

From your link: ( Regarding goals.)

www.lpi.usra.edu...

The LROC Team is committed to bringing the excitement of lunar exploration to the public and into varied educational environments.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Look at it this way. I'm sure the guys at Malin would have loved to have put a 1500mm lens (2 actually, there are 2 Narrow Angle Cameras in the package) on LROC. We would have loved it too, so would the guys at Arizona State, and the USGS, and the University of Arizona. Everyone involved with LROC would have been stoked to do that. Don't you think they would have done it if they could have?

But the guys with the other instruments would not have been so stoked to reduce the weight of their instruments, the size of their experiments, the power requirements of their experiments in order to make room for the larger lenses.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The purpose of the mission is not to scout just any landing sites but to look for areas suitable for the establishment of a long term presence (moon bases).

Thank you sir!

The purpose of the mission is to scout future landing sites.

Deny the hell out of that ignorance!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Wow. You really caught me there. You must be very proud.

Thank you for pointing out the glaring discrepancy. I shall endeavor to provide absolutely all of the available information in every statement I make henceforth.

[edit on 7/20/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos
I already see what is going to be written: the images are faked etc.

Looks like rocks to me

I mean that's what everyone said when I posted this one on Eros, where we also landed a probe

Story is always the same... when one side uses it as evidence they are nuts but when the other side uses the same quality images to prove their case all of a sudden its a diffferent story

:lol Just what I need yet another LRO thread

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Yeah. So I guess they failed, huh?

The end of the paragraph says

The primary goals of this E/PO program are:
1) communicate the goals and results of the LROC to students and the public,
2) provide tools to enable various audiences to view and analyze images from LROC,
3) contribute to the E/PO activities of the NASA forums and brokers and the LROC mission as a whole through GSFC.

1 and 2 are kind of inline with what some people around here have been working on too, wouldn't you say?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
My guess would be either NASA photoshopping the landing area in or using a Ordonance testing site somewhere in a Desert (area 51?) and then simply placing the objects there, make a satellite pass, and discolour the image.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

well if going to be accused of bitching, might as well pull it off successfully! Ok, now its time to get back on track!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Looks just like a rock to me, or could be some form of processing error. Move along nothing to see here.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by stevecc]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Please excuse the following slightly off topic mini rant. I present no data, facts, sources or links.

For me, the Moon Landing and Apollo program is a quandary. A constant internal battle between my brain and my gut. Anomalies abound.

I have been puzzled by this topic for many years and have spent untold hours researching both sides. Although I am leaning very much towards the idea that ultimately man did, in fact, land on the moon. But the 'official version' just doesn't sit right with me. Several things don't add up. Lingering doubt and uncertainty regarding many facets remain.

As I get older, I realize that there are many 'mysteries' in life that I may never know. (Who/How Pyramids were built, How did that guy Ed L. built the Coral Castle, Who really shot JFK, What happened to Amelia Earhart, Where are all my missing socks etc.)

I just want some closure. If the final pass / pictures of the LROC satisfy my curiosity, I can just move on. I feel close to a resolution. I am both nervous and anxious. I just need to know that I was a part of something.

Throughout my research, I have NEVER doubted the bravery, skill and courage required to be an astronaut. They are all true heroes. (from every nation)

[/rant] Whew, thanks for letting me unburden myself. I feel better. ( Fingers crossed. )

Regards...KK

[edit on 21-7-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Story is always the same... when one side uses it as evidence they are nuts but when the other side uses the same quality images to prove their case all of a sudden its a different story.

You raise a reasonably fair point here. Although you use the point as a criticism of 'skeptics,' it's one that, to an extent, goes both ways. I see it as an insecurity caused by people that are entrenched on distinct sides.

For example, allowing for your Viking images might seem like a vindication for some of your other interpretations. Vice versa...allowing a skeptic's interpretation that the 'moon bases' are pixellated artifacts of enthusiastic magnification can be taken that ALL images are similarly misidentified. Neither stance means accepting everything else...

Maybe, sometimes it's a reluctance to accept the possibility that the other side might be right from time to time. Sort of an assumption that it's a 'thin edge of the wedge?' In this light, the diehards are almost incapable of conceding that the other side has made a point. I'm well aware that I'm on a particular 'side' but, like many others, closer to the center than some.

To keep it simple..the 'other' side isn't wrong all of the time!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
To keep it simple..the 'other' side isn't wrong all of the time!

True but neither side will admit it when they are wrong

That's why I like the middle ground
Facts are ever changing in our world, you never know what you will know tomorrow

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I'm a Canadian, and I have more faith in your country then some of you do.

It's just kinda pathetic how some of you just refuse to believe whats right in front of you.

how dare you disrespect the astronauts and all your countrymen who worked hard to make JFK's dream a reality.

Honestly ask yourself , who are you?? what the hell have you done for the human race and man kind?

Why the hell would they fake going to the moon 9 times????
and where did the lunar rocks come from?
and what information did you share with Japanese scientists about the lunar surface?

The idiocy of these claims it was a hoax is unbelievable...
Flags Flap in a vacuum, non parallel shadows can be caused from one light source, and every other ludicrous claim has been proven wrong time and time again.

SO please stop crying it was fake, and go do something productive instead of trying to convince people the human race is less then it really is

You people should be ashamed and I hope your real countrymen kick you out for being such terrible Americans .

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
We can get totally hi res pictures now. but nasa still releases pixelated and blurry images, all this is to show the 'moon landings was a hoax' crowd that nasa only tells the truth and doesn't hide anything.

What a load of bull

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by juiceman81

Well said Juiceman!

Sorry for being off topic,but Juicemans post was right on IMO!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

We can get totally hi res pictures now. but nasa still releases pixelated and blurry images, all this is to show the 'moon landings was a hoax' crowd that nasa only tells the truth and doesn't hide anything. What a load of bull

The quality of the images has been explained in detail in at least three active threads. Try reading Why are the LROC images so lousy?

The Apollo site images are for many reasons...proving anything to 'moon hoaxers' is probably bottom of the list. The images have been used to test the equipment, check the LROC cameras are functional and generate publicity for an organization crying out for funding. Add to that the 40th anniversary and dozens of other reasons...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

First off, are you even old enough to remember the Apollo moon landings? I lived through those times and witnessed each one. Have no doubt, they DID happen. It's amazing how some people cannot believe simple history, what's next? The Space Shuttles launch without crew? The ISS is really unmanned and the astronauts are filmed in a studio at the Johnson Space Flight Center?
Man didn't really reach the North Pole? Columbus didn't sail the ocean and land in the new world? The U.S. didn't really drop the atomic bomb? Good Lord people, why is it so hard to believe the moon landings when you obviously beleive in aliens? The U.S. was at it's finest moment on the day Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the moon. National pride was at an all time high. America was great then and somehow through the 70's, 80's, 90's untils now, something changed in how america sees itself. Was it the "ME" generation of the 70's that was so self absorbed? Was it the "GREED" of the 80's and 90's where America got materialistic on top of being self absorbed? Or has everyone jumped on the bash America band wagon of today? Our national attitude is what has drug our country into the pits. So have some pride in the moon landings as being our greatest acheivement and let's try to recapture the spirit of America being great again!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join