posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:03 PM
A close encounter is an event where a person or persons see a ufo or alien being. The term close encounter and the subsequent classification system
was started by J. Allen Hynek in 1972, in his book: The UFO Experience; A Scientific Inquiry. Originall Hynek started out with three categories of
close encounters, close encounters of the first, second and third kinds. Later close encounters of the fourth and fifth kind were added, however these
extra categories are not universally accepted by ufologists. Sightings more than 500ft. away are classified as either radar /visual reports, daylight
discs or nocturnal lights. Hynek argued that a close encounter must occur within 500 ft. to rule out errors of misidentification of aircraft or
natural phenomenon by the observer.
Close Encounter of the First Kind
Close Encounter of the Second Kind
- Lights seen at night.
Any type of aerial phenomenon that cannot be attributed to human activity.
An obsevation of a ufo, with associated physical effectsd such as:
Close Encounter of the Third kind
- Missing Time
- interference of radio or engine in a car.
- evidence of a landing
An observation of "animate beings" seen in association with a ufo sighting. Hynek chose the somewhat vague term of "animate beings".
Ufologist Ted Bloecher created 7 subtypes of encounters to describe a close encounter of the third kind:
Close Encounter of the Fourth Kind
- 1. An entity is observed only inside the UFO
- 2: An entity is observed inside and outside the UFO
- 3: An entity is observed near to a UFO, but not going in or out.
- 4: An entity is observed. No UFOs are seen by the observer, but UFO activity has been reported in the area at about the same time
- 5: An entity is observed. But no UFOs are seen and no UFO activity has been reported in the area at that time
- 6: No entity or UFOs are observed, but the subject experiences some kind of "intelligent communication"
- 7: Abduction (same as close encounter of fourth kind)
This is an encounter where a person is abducted by aliens.
Close Encounter of the Fifth Kind
This is an encounter where there is intelligent sharing going on. These types of encounters can be initiated by humans.
Close Encounters Caught on Tape
The Aliens Arrive
The J. Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies
Relevant Discussion Threads on AboveTopSecret.com
Pilots close encounter over Kent, U.K.
Close Encounter with a Nordic type being
Filiberto Caponi Close Encounter 1993 (w/Pics) Genuine?
My Extreme Close Encounter in 1977-78, with questions.
'They're out there:' Farmer remembers his close encounter