It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sotomayor dodges gun-rights questions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
reply to post by Snisha

If guns protected you from violence, cops and soldiers wouldn't wear bullet proof vests. They could just block the enemy bullets with their guns, right?

So I should just dismiss the times that guns protected me from violence because you say so. That's undeniably logical. You are the GRAND ALL KNOWING "EYE IN THE SKY" that catalogs the minutia of humanity! RIGHT?

Situational awareness could never POSSIBLY be a factor eh???

Nothing is going to protect you from being assassinated, or shot in the back of the head by some gangsters out having fun. That would be what I call a "random act of violence."

Once again I refer you to the concept of "situational awareness".

So if I avoid (as much as possible) locations that have a history of being "violent hotspots" this surely does not increase the likelihood of me surviving RIGHT???

And if I determine that I am actually IN one of these "hotspots" according to you, I cannot take appropriate measures to better my chances of survival.

Here's a *NEWSFLASH*
THIS can increase my chances of surviving a hit.

If somebody drives by your house and unloads 1000 rounds from a couple semi automatic weapons, a gun is not going to do anything to protect you. Maybe if you fortify your walls and windows, you'll be safe.

You can't "drive by" my house.

One negotiates a long driveway and when you get within 100yds. the peacocks start raising ungodly hell, which alerts the Dobermans, and Weimaraners.

Try researching the ballistic properties of "Lexan" and 2ft. reinforced concrete in regards to the intrinsic "secure" nature of my abode.

White collar crimes are non-violent, and therefore the need for protection never even enters the debate. Bernie Madoff used financial manipulation and scheming to steal his money. How is a gun going to protect you from that kind of crime?

How will a gun protect me from white collar crime???

Grasshopper, one of the main reasons that I did not lose my as* in the recent stock market crash is because I own a vast collection of rare Parker,Fox, and Westley shotguns similar to some of these below...

www.ivorybeads.com...

www.ivorybeads.com...

www.gunsinternational.com...

www.gunsinternational.com...

I don't give a damn about the "stock market" and never have!

Money isn't at the center of all crime, that's for sure. But it does cause a hell of a lot of it. Often times the poorest of the poor resort to violent crimes to make money, while the super rich hire lobbyists to write legislative loopholes or use black box marketing to fudge the figures.

Can't argue against that point...

When it comes to violent crimes, IE shooting somebody, poverty is the leading cause.

Morality has nothing to do with it.

I have many friends from the 10 years I lived in Jamaica that grew up in a deplorable level of "poverty" that multitudes of US citizens who perpetually suckle upon the Federal welfare tit because they refuse to get up off of their asses and "work" could not even begin to fathom.

These folks held true to a moral and ethical ideal that did not include violence and to this day they are some of the most gracious and noble human beings that I have ever known.

MORALITY HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Snisha

Dang it, don't you know you there is no defense against Cum Ba Ya?? Simply saying it out loud protects you from all adversaries. Almost all anti-gunners have black belts in this martial art. They are dangerous and should be forced to register their voices and thoughts as dangerous weapons and have to take classes and get permits to speak. That way we would all be so safe and warm and cozy that no other problems with human nature would exist to force them to use such a deadly martial art!

Zindo

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Actually I was posing the question to you because you were misleading with your stance. How many people were you thinking hanging from this hypothetical car? So I presume said car stopped so they could fire all those rounds. So I asked if you were assuming full auto! Your scenario does not fit. So we got a bunch of people hanging off a automobile of some sort shooting 1000 rounds a house as it drives by. The type of people you are trying to describe committing violent crimes because of poverty [?] who are the type of people I am saying should not have guns! I am not trying to belittle you, I am trying to place this in perspective!
Poverty would not create that type of situation. Because anyone committing such a act would doubtfully be a first time criminal. A criminal record is one of the ways you can be denied ownership! Full auto is actually a waste and any one who is going to convert one is a danger due to stupidity, it will appeal to those who shouldn't have a gun in the first place. I looked at your argument's and took you as anti gun. Or are you saying it creates a false sense of bravado? I think you are mistaken in your poverty assertion!
Morality and mental health are more to deal with your violent crime than poverty.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Guns don't protect you from random acts of violence. Nor do they promote crime, or murder.

I think both sides on the gun debate are wrong.

Poverty creates crime.

Guns shoot things.

Nothing more really needs to be said.

If poverty creates crime then why are there so many rich white-collar criminals? White-collar crime has a much more devastating impact on society than street crime does.

Still, if someone breaks in my home again, or if my ex-husband threats me again, I want to have a gun the next time to be able to defend myself.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join