It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male Sex Chromosome Losing Genes By Rapid Evolution, Study Reveals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Male Sex Chromosome Losing Genes By Rapid Evolution, Study Reveals

www.sciencedaily.com

Scientists have long suspected that the sex chromosome that only males carry is deteriorating and could disappear entirely within a few million years, but until now, no one has understood the evolutionary processes that control this chromosome's demise. Now, a pair of Penn State scientists has discovered that this sex chromosome, the Y chromosome, has evolved at a much more rapid pace than its partner chromosome, the X chromosome, which both males and females carry.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Men doomed to extinction, women will inherit the Earth
Gender Eradication

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This has been discussed before on ATS, but has never been proven beyond doubt. Now, it seems they have confirmation an explanation for the phenomenon.

I don't like the idea, but i guess evolution will do what it does. Perhaps our species will become A-sexual, or we will all look exactly identical (goobacks, greys?). Either way, I'm glad it wont be happening for a million years or so because i plan to proudly hang on to my manhood until death(no pun intended)

any thoughts on the issue?

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Kevin_X2]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I don't buy it. evolution has yet to have been proven right. and besides this would mean that the human race is meant to die off in about a few million years, and not have any control.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Sounds like a good idea

What good is sexcism and discrimination because of your sex or gender ( Note this word) in a world that should progress?

The whole sex dichtomy as we have it here as humans is a burden ....why cant we truly manifest Yin Yang into everyone?

And yes, I raised this before on other forums....I always get flack and some biblical rhetoric or manly men or feminine women who think I do unjustice to a great system

/barf

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
""Even though some of the genes appear to be important, we still think there is a chance that the Y chromosome eventually could disappear," said Makova. "If this happens, it won't be the end of males. Instead, a new pair of non-sex chromosomes likely will start on the path to becoming sex chromosomes.""

Interesting... So men are evolving. I wonder what we will look like
. Maybe we will gain some new abilities? A more powerful sixth sense would be nice.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
That's goof, what this actually means is that we are only a few Million years away from the next great evolutionary leap...

This is interesting,

In a few million years as the person above correctly stated new sequences will be pushed forward, but I would theorize that, it won't be the same for all people...

The real question is what changes will emerge and dominate and how many?

What we will likely find is that we break down rapidly perhaps over less than a century in a a variety of new branches of man and once again go through the sort of thing where we have various branches of the human evolutionary tree existing simultaneously i.e. Cro Magnons and Neanderthals

What we recognize in our fantasies as various branches of man and tell of in our fairy tales if probably a recognition of the last time this sort of thing happened.

The most interesting aspect of this would be:

What happens if we inhabit many different worlds when this genetic event occurs?

top topics

join