It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Jazeera Reporter Imprisoned in Guantánamo Bay to Sue George Bush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Al-Jazeera Reporter Imprisoned in Guantánamo Bay to Sue George Bush

www.guardian.co.uk

Sami al-Haj – freed in May after over six years – to launch legal action along with other prisoners against former US president

An al-Jazeera reporter who was imprisoned in Guantánamo Bay plans to launch a joint legal action with other detainees against former US president George Bush and other administration officials...

"Torture is continuing in Guantánamo ," al-Haj said. "Obama needs to close Guantánamo immediately.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.democraticunderground.com
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Looks like some of the detainees got talking during their six-year visit and their looking for their time back in dimes. Good for them. It was ridiculous of the US gov. to imprison some of these people in the first place. I mean, you cant just throw a reporter in a secret prison without trial for 6 years and expect people not to be outraged. If i was this man i would go for the thought.

And, it looks like hes been there recently enough to know Gitmo hasn't been closed. I had assumed they wouldn't close it, because whats the point? nobody goes there, except for the tourists who get to overlook the prison from a mountaintop(heard about this yesterday).

anyways, i hope its the right people getting reimbursed for time lost, and i hope its the right people having to pay for the unlawful detainment and unwarranted torture of innocence..

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Please excuse my ignorance of the system- but is this reported trying to get money, or is he trying to hold George Bush accountable (IE- criminal charges)?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

Its more like this:

The reporter was detained at Gitmo and thus has an in at the base. He is building a case of past and present atrocities being committed at the prison, targeted at the bush administration in general.

So, instead of trying to get justice out of his own, individual claim, he is building a case for every innocent prisoner. He's doing everything, med records, time served, reason (or lack of reason) served, torture committed... everything they can be held accountable for.

And then, I'm sure it will be presented all at one in one massive trial to try and bring some justice against our government.

"The purpose of our organisation is to open a case against the Bush administration," said co-founder Sami al-Haj, an al-Jazeera reporter from Sudan who was illegally detained by US authorities for over six years after being captured while he was working as a cameraman. He was freed in May 2008. "We need to start our organisation first and then we will prepare a whole case. We don't want to do this case by case," said the 40-year-old journalist during a recent visit to Oslo. "We are in the process of collecting information from all the people, such as medical evidence. It takes time," he said. He added: "I need them to go to court … we don't want [what happened to us] to be repeated again."

top topics

join