It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A theory I thought of about the afterlife.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
What, then, would become of a person who lived a life of sin and debauchery, and enjoyed every minute of it, regretting nothing? Seems to me like hedonism would make for a more enjoyable afterlife than eternal prayer and abstinence.

Well, the New Testament says that all Mankind's sin was sort of bought up by Jesus Christ, that he took on the burden of all sin for all time, that he essentially gave his life in exchange for our sins.

So, strictly speaking, it doesn't matter if you're a baby-raping serial killer, your sins are already forgiven.

A lot of Bible-thumpers will scream No no no!! You MUST be repentant!! You MUST give yourself to Christ!! You MUST confess your sin and ASK for forgiveness!!

But that's not what Christ said. Nowhere did Christ say you have to confess your sins to a priest and beg for forgiveness and all that. Other people came up with those stipulations, the Catholic Church wrote all the nit-picking by-laws, primarily to keep "believers" under the Church's thumb.

For that matter, Christ never said that sinners were going to Hell for all eternity just because of a few short decades of sin. What he did say was that none of us are without sin. Coming from Jesus Christ, that sounds like all Mankind should be going to Hell, yes?

Well, no. Because Jesus supposedly took on the sum total burden of Man's sin for all time. So, everyone is forgiven. Says so in the Bible.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
If there is a Higher Intelligence making a naughty and nice list and deciding to answer prayers like like shooting T-Shirts from a cannon at a baseball game I would definitely get a good laugh out of it!

I am just kind of confused about that old saying from Star Trek 5, The Final Frontier where Captain Kirk says "What would God need with a Star Ship?"

What would God need with emotions?

Most everything that I have read from the Religious Scriptures that Deal with a Heaven and Hell ALSO deal with an EMOTIONAL GOD!

God gets Pissed Off and Wipes out a town. God gets Angry and orders the slaughter of a group of people. God gets pissed off at everyone and floods the entire planet.

Again I ask you , What would a God need with Emotions?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

There is no god. So I dont worry about it. Thats the good thing about being an atheist I dont worry about heaven or hell. Thanks for the input though.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

The only reason humans even thought up a god is because we want to hope something is after our lives because I dont think humans can handle knowing there is no heaven or hell. The atheists have accepted this but others cannot. I look for other possible things that happen after life other than heaven or hell because thats all BS.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I believe in that kind of karma but I dont believe in the kind were if you make fun of someone fat you'll end up fat.

ethier do i, but you would expect that person to show any simpathy when bad thing happen to you.

What, then, would become of a person who lived a life of sin and debauchery, and enjoyed every minute of it, regretting nothing?

they still my regret the fact that they did nothing with there life other than party.

Seems to me like hedonism would make for a more enjoyable afterlife than eternal prayer and abstinence.

it is hence why the roman empire did so well untill they enforce christian doctrine. you ban everything that people do for entetianment then they'll riot.

I do not believe in god and never will. I did for the first 14 years of my life. and it got me NO WHERE. When i quit believing then things got better i didnt worry as much i wasnt feeling guilty all the time. I felt right for not believing and if god was real then he could just not create atheist's or simply not give us the ability to quit religion.

same here i was raised christian went to a chatholic school and then i actualy read the bible. its a load of tripe! it was 'composed' by the late roman empire to convert everyone to christianity (Jeus was only writin as the son of god to convert the greeks), theres very litle truth there.

for a while i regected all religion as superstitious rubish but after reading up on buddism and finding that everything couldn't be explianed by science (as they have the same aditude of relion) i looked at the old religions.

the acient greek acounts of vreation fits remarkably well with the scietificly acepted ideas. it also doen't preach blind faith but encourages idependant thinking and questioning to find the truth of things to the point that they encouraged people to question the gods (even the priests openly questioned them). the gods were also more of a race of powerful beings than an omniponent super power that would smite you if you disobeyed his order

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by RokNinja

Yes, the greeks had it right and Buddhism has caught my attention to because it seems fairly believable but I still dont believe in a religion. I agree science cant explain everything but neither can religion. lol

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lycanlance
no evidence is more proof of something not being there then something being there. I don't want to hear about "god" because i dont believe thats real at all. I do however think their could be an energy type thing that keeps things in order.

Well, I don't "believe" there's an old white-haired dude sitting on a throne up on the Moon watching us with binoculars. I don't "believe" that a God capable of generating an entire Universe would spend so much time torturing and worrying about a handful of hairless apes on one little planet.

In short, I don't "believe" in the God of Judeo-Christian religion. Nor of Islam. Nor of Buddhism. Nor of Hindi. Nor of any religion that believes a giant deity is watching our every move and judging our thoughts, words and actions.

I do think that there is life elsewhere in this Universe. I think there is intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe. The odds favor it. I think there is life that is so intelligent and so advanced that it meets every single criteria of God that we can imagine.

So, there are probably Gods out there, somewhere. I'm not saying I think they hear our prayers and answer them. Not at all.

I think the Universe itself has a consciousness, that our consciousness is actually the consciousness of the Universe, peeping through our eyes, scrutinizing itself.

I mean, even an atheist must admit that we humans are conscious. We are also products of the Universe — in essence, we are the Universe looking at itself. Therefore, it's entirely logical to conclude that the Universe is at least as conscious as we are, and probably much more conscious than we are.

Now, if a Universal Consciousness doesn't fill the requirements of godhood, it's pretty damned close. Personally, I think that we can trigger reactions in the Universal Consciousness through our prayers or meditations or whatever. I mean, if we are but extensions of some Universal Consciousness, then surely we can use feedback to trigger a response...like generating an itch that the Universe then scratches, right?

Why not?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by lycanlance

Exactly! niether can explain everything because both exclude possiblities (science excludes paranormal and religion excludes fact), but rather you must look from every angle. the truth lie some were in the middle.

and techniqly i don't follow a religion (i don't pray) but if i were to but my money on one of them being right then i'm sticking with the hellen (acient greek) gods. because it possible the gods were physical beings and not the metaphysical omnipontent figures people see them as. there are certianly alot of acient myths that are reflected (if not identical) in the modern acounts of extraterestrial beings.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RokNinja
Exactly! niether can explain everything because both exclude possiblities (science excludes paranormal and religion excludes fact), but rather you must look from every angle. the truth lie some were in the middle.

Religion does not "exclude fact"... Religion is built on fact that is distorted and edited over hundreds and thousands of years. The staying power of Religion, in spite of historical revisionism, is evidence of something unusual. Every day, archaeologists are making new discoveries that solidify the historical accuracy of the Bible. I know atheists don't want this to be true, but it is.

Even the Catholic Church embraces Science — they have their own cutting-edge scientific research facilities and observatories and they follow the best tradition of the Scientific Method. When confronted with claims of a "miracle," the Catholic Church utilizes scientific means to disprove the claims — which they usually do. Only in very few instances will a "miracle" stump all scientific and rational explanation, at which point the Church will concede that it really is a miracle.

I don't see this as excluding fact.

I do agree that neither Science nor Religion can steer us toward an understanding of this exquisitely complex Universe. Both Science and Religion were invented by the Human Brain... and we know what a defective piece of equipment is the Brain. There may be nothing like Human Logic or Math or Science anywhere else in the Universe, which is why I'm really looking forward to First Contact.

It's gonna be a laugh riot.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
God determines how "good" a person is. And the only way you are good is to the degree to which you match his quality of love for others. It doesn't matter if you think you were a good person and did charity work or whatever.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

I said i dont want to hear about a GOD because i know he isnt real so people just quit trying to tell me god determines anything that happens. i have experienced life with god and life without personally i prefer no god. People that believe in him good for you thats your thing. I DONT CARE but i didnt ask people to come here and keep pushing the god theory on me.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RokNinja

yea i would put my money on the greeks to. They make way more sense than the other religions. when you think about it. But i prefer no religion and a combination of beliefs that exclude the heaven/hell god controls all thing. That is just hilarious.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   

No atheists dont care what you prove but the bible is just stories from people of the past. they see something. they cant explain it so hey god did it. Everything has to be gods will and not natures will doesnt it. Nature is what controls earth not a god and not any religion. nature. and what controls nature is not god. The greeks are way more logical than any other religion out there. atheists look for truth instead of saying ooops a hurricane hit looks like god was pissed no we look for the cause and find it.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

yes the beings that are out there seem to be more likely than a god created us. I think that aliens could have made us. and wrote the bible and created these religions to keep us in line.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by lycanlance

i strongly believe in the afterlife. and you can control your dreams, i have.
you are put here to learn. good or bad your choice. in the afterlife, you remember all the things you did, in other bodies. meanning you could of been a black man in another life or an asian, an indian, or perhaps you were in the civil war back when. you here to learn from your mistakes and to make your soul a better one. you were forgiven by jesus because he knows that you here on earth is a process of learning. so he forgave you, you learning. we all make mistakes. wether you a murderer, a thief, and so on. your soul has a purpose of a higher existance and in order to reach it , you must learn. ok. the bibles made by man are a layout of control, to control you , and to scare you. you are going to hell , my child. what a joke. a scare tactic. differences in bibles are like babbalon. babble, babble, babble and nothing becomes of it. we all learn differently and some of us come to this world a cripple, blind, diseased, rich, poor, whereever the path started. you need to learn from the path to teach your soul and to reach enlightenment. peace.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pudgeego

...I am tired of these JESUS theories. I DONT BELIEVE IN HIM OR GOD. STOP TELLING ME HE FORGAVE ME OR ANYONE HE ISNT REAL. you can believe in him all you want but you came to this thread so you cant say im pushing my belief on you just quit telling me about anything christian related got it. I DONT CARE ABOUT GOD OR JESUS.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by lycanlance
reply to post by Dragonfly79

I like hearing about all of these theories. they make me want to search for wat the actual truth is. I would love to know the truth of life and where we originated from.

I believe you will find the answer is within infinite Fractle based quantum mathematics and your pineal gland used as active transceiver for your soul/spirit.

The Universe would appear to be made entirely of waves (Fractle based) and our brain a receiver to convert these waves into our surrounding reality, the same way a computer converts binary data (waves) into on-screen graffics (virtual reality).

When a persons soul/spirit is created (at 49 days after conception) the Pineal gland (third eye) is activated. At death a similar re-activation is recorded and the Pineal is the device used to transfer our soul/spirit into the next realm.

The Universe is an infinite 3-D Hologram based on Fractle quantum mathematics and our brains are 3-D Holographic interferometers, designed to decode the waves and 'create' what we 'see/hear/taste/touch/smell' around us.

Life as we know it is governed by time, a known factor that travels at 186 thousand miles per second. When the soul/spirit is unlocked by death or '___' the time we know disappears and an infinite Fractle based realm is apparent.

Utterly beautiful, truly infinite and completely timeless.

Regards.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I am not a bad person, at least I don't declare myself as so. I have never hurt anyone, I have never killed anything, I try my absolute best to respect all life, as I absolutely love animals, and come from an animal loving family. All creatures, big and small, are of worth to me, I do not kill bugs, I do not kill spiders, I do not kill moths, I catch and release them outside, even if they intend to harm me in the first place, I understand they are acting willfully on insticts, and better yet, who am I to take a life?

I could never kill an animal, but I admit I have. I will never forget it, and regret it nearly every day when I was young, maybe 7, maybe 8, I was walking outside playing with my kittens like I always did, in my blissful ignorance of being a child, in my own little world not really knowing what was going on. I remember walking, just around my front deck, there were kittens around me, and as I looked down, I saw a kitten with what seemed to be a snapped neck and blood coming from it's nose. I didn't understand what had happened, asked my mom what was going on, she quickly took me inside after panicking for a few seconds and my dad took the kitten to the vet the next day.

That day was a big event, I think it was a dance or something and I remember i had gotten a girl's number(Just a little crush thing you had in elementary school, nothing at all serious), i was happy to make a new friend. As my dad drove in to the parking lot, I got into his truck and there was the kitten, laying dead. My dad apologized to me, that nothing could be done in the vet to save it's life, and I remember crying, knowing that I had taken it's life, rather by accident or purposefully, I took it's life.

To this day I look back on that moment and still feel sad, the kitten never had a chance to live, never had a chance to be a kitten, all because of me. I then wonder, if bad things happen to me due to that single reason. I can not remember another time in my entire life when I have killed anything, by accident or purpose.

But why, then do so many bad things constantly happen to me? I try in my life so hard to do good, to constantly do the right thing, to be kind and respectful to all people, to never judge, to never make fun of anyone for what they can't help, or what they can help but refuse to change. To never hate anyone based on their religion, race, or anything else awful like that.

But when I ask myself "Why do bad things keep happening to me", I see no other answer other then that I took a kitten's life, when I myself was nothing but a mere child. So many bad things have happened to me over my life, and now I fear much worse things are in store for me as a person. But I do not understand why, if god thinks I'm a bad person, and he is punishing me for what I've done, why will he not let me understand? I don't think i am a bad person, I think I do my best to be the best which i can, I have feelings for other people, I feel depressed when I see the homeless, the sick, the mentally ill, the unlucky, the people that truly need help, i want to help them, but I myself have very little.

I used to be a 100% athiest, denying even the thought that a so called god could exist, but lately I am taking a more open approach, the approach of being agnostic. I believe that there is a possibility of a god, although no human mind can possibly know what god is, or how it came to be, and that religions are simply grasping at straws in hope for wisdom.

Is it like that saying "bad things happen to good people"? If so, why? Why do bad things happen to me? I am frequent with depression, I often self doubt myself, I seem to not know where I'm heading in life and struggle with myself and my feelings constantly, etc. But I KNOW I am a good person, but yet bad things constantly happen to me and hinder my life at every chance it gets to, and I just don't understand why. I guess I am still searching for answers.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I don't believe in the afterlife or in reincarnation. I think people just like to believe that there's more to life and that it doesn't just end, but I think it does.

There's nothing before and there's nothing after. All we can do is make the best of the time we have here and now.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Mark_Amy

you just cannot rule out thousands of people who saw what they saw after they died. they were pronounced dead with no brain activity. and some have even recalled what was said in the operation room. are you going to say that all those people are liars. that is not the answer and you know it. i myself, do not know that answer,but these people have had the exsperience. you cannot just rule them all out, that is ignorance. i believe what i believe and i am not putting my beliefs out here to prove anything. im just simply saying, you cannot rule them all out. ok.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join